More new expansion info

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
from here

May 18, 2005 - Mythic Entertainment has released some details on its third expansion to Dark Age of Camelot, subtitled Darkness Rising. And for champions who have always wanted a little more speed, your prayers have been answered.

Darkness Rising will finally introduce customizable horses to the world. Plain horses will be available to all players (provided they are at a crisp level 35) even without the expansion pack. Installing DR will, however, give far more benefits than just a normal steed.

For the first time, the world of Dark Age of Camelot will have fully customizable horses. We're not talking just a new paint job; players can outfit their mounts with barding, special saddles, and armor. The horses will be almost as customizable as the players' characters themselves, Mythic promised. As mentioned, you'll need the expansion pack to take advantage of the customization options, as well as possessing a character at least level 45. Other mounts, such as unicorns and nightmares, will be available to ride too.

DR has more than just mounts. Alternate advancement systems are being implemented to give players more reasons to keep playing. Champion Levels, for example, will be available once a player hits level 50. These Champion Levels lead to new, special, class-based weapons. We've seen examples of these weapons, such as a sword with an eagle for a hilt and a glowing blade. Very pretty, and slightly more powerful than anything else currently in the game. In all, 44 new weapons will introduced to the world.

Also, players will now be able to take on sub-classes. The example given to us was that a fighter could visit a mage trainer, and learn extremely basic spells. You won't see any fighter running around and able to split the world or anything, but a fighter could launch a low-level fireball after enough training to support his allies in new ways.

For you questing players, the storyline of DR revolves around all the kings of the realms needing help. Players will work together to figure out who is behind the chaos, and who is most deserving to receive a medieval beatdown. The quests are lengthy, but not quite as large scale as previously seen.

Mythic says that it has seen an increase in "soft grouping," where players group together only temporarily before splitting up and doing their own thing. To promote that, most of these new quests can be completed with a single group of eight or fewer players. A couple quests will be large enough for 16 players to succeed together, but for the most part, only a single group will be needed to beat these small-scale ("instanced") quests.

Between the customizable mounts, sub-classes, 44 new weapons, new quests, and three high-level zones, DAoC players have plenty to look forward to.

Gorbash

One of Freddy's beloved
subtitled Darkness Rising.
10/10 for originality there tbh

Other mounts, such as unicorns and nightmares, will be available to ride too.
Yoinked from UO perhaps? i wonder how one will go about aquiring such a mount. in UO you had to tame em....?

DR has more than just mounts. Alternate advancement systems are being implemented to give players more reasons to keep playing. Champion Levels, for example, will be available once a player hits level 50. These Champion Levels lead to new, special, class-based weapons. We've seen examples of these weapons, such as a sword with an eagle for a hilt and a glowing blade. Very pretty, and slightly more powerful than anything else currently in the game. In all, 44 new weapons will introduced to the world.
So basically master levels.... except that at the end of it all, all you get is another sword to add to the pile?

Also, players will now be able to take on sub-classes. The example given to us was that a fighter could visit a mage trainer, and learn extremely basic spells. You won't see any fighter running around and able to split the world or anything, but a fighter could launch a low-level fireball after enough training to support his allies in new ways.
Aha! something that sounds interesting! :) quite like the idea of having a little more diversity on classes such as pure tanks, pure mages etc :p

Mythic says that it has seen an increase in "soft grouping," where players group together only temporarily before splitting up and doing their own thing. To promote that, most of these new quests can be completed with a single group of eight or fewer players. A couple quests will be large enough for 16 players to succeed together, but for the most part, only a single group will be needed to beat these small-scale ("instanced") quests.
Imo the whole 8-man grouping idea is getting a little dated. sort that out rather than just make it more tolerable

Between the customizable mounts, sub-classes, 44 new weapons, new quests, and three high-level zones, DAoC players have plenty to look forward to.
we already have high level zones all over the place going to waste. make them better! :) i want a challenge in barfog & dartmoor! adding more zones simply spreads the population over a larger area and further limits the ability to group with a sizeable number and variaty of people, making grouping even less rewarding as its more effort to sort one out.

but still, waiting to be impressed ;)

M® Zîllâ

Fledgling Freddie
Aiteal said:

About the only bit of any intrest to me personaly, but overall sounds ok it cant be any worse then TOA was.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
I agree

Make Barfog more of a challenge with better drops

And make epic armour the best in game

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Definitely agree with the epic armour comment - make it the best in game

Unlike 95% of everyone on line, I don't have a BB. I play when I can (which isn't a lot what with work and other RL commitments). I can't (and TBH don't want to) get a 50 character in 18 hours.

My first char took me 10 months to get 1-50 (we're talking 3 years ago now). I did all the tasks, culminating in the fun 50 epic quest (Sister Blythe). I felt like I really earned the epic armour.

What's the point of epic armour these days ? Its totally pwnd by even a fairly basic set of SC'd armour and certainly a lot of TOA and arti items.

IMO epic armour should be the BEST armour u can get in game. They should nerf all the other armour or totally ramp up epic armour stats etc

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:
IMO epic armour should be the BEST armour u can get in game. They should nerf all the other armour or totally ramp up epic armour stats etc

wont

ever

happen.

Epic armor is just too easy to get compared to a spellcrafted - toa artifacted armor, why should be something thats alot more easier to get hold off better than something you have to waste loads of hours to possess...

one thing i would support is that you could get epic armor skin on your current equipment... would give a meaning to epic armor, couse frankly since the release of SI i have never ever touched epic quests and i presume its not only me.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
I concur Dorin.

Mind that being said, Epic armor could do with a boost to how good it is if anything, I mean the vamp/bainshee epic from what ive seen for the stats etc is pretty good.

The least they could do is boost the other classes armor and make it worth the time and make it at least usable in a final SC template, would help a lot more I think tbh. :p

I'm looking forward to champion levels, the speculation of the champion weps is a bit vague atm, some people say "Oh will probably be useless" but then again, the new weapons could be the best weapons obtainable.

Im looking forward to it, new content is good, although revamping the classic zones and so forth would be a lot better, I would love nothing more than taking trips to the classic epic zones, I remember going down there and going mad when you got your first ever glowy wep. :)

If they at least revamp them now, then it would maybe be worth it taking a raid to them zones, rather than now where a shield tank + BB could take out the mobs in epic zones.

Umpaidh

Fledgling Freddie
Read other stuff on this expansion guys.

Epic armour is getting revamped, but you need to do quest again, but final step is now same for all classes

all classic zones are getting a revamp, looks/mobs/drops.

Read somwhere the patch before will look at all class issues, some small and major changes.

sounds good to me.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
sounds good, though i really hope it isnt like toa.

Zoia

Can't get enough of FH
Good that you don't need a zerg to do these new quests, hope they mean the champion levels, unlike masterleves in ToA.

Imo, the new epic armour should be as good as 5 OC MP armour with a decent proc.
If it's any less, it should have some ToA bonuses, which i think Bainshee epic has already?
All the pieces wouldn't fit into everyones template, but you might want use 1 or 2 pieces together with crafted and artifacts, instead of salvaging your epic.
Even if you want to use the whole epic(looking good is everything!), it should be possible to make a decent template if you get some good jewelry. :)

I also hope they take their time to design unique looking epics for every class. Not that cut'n paste they did the first time.
Fine, the skald epic hauberk looks ok on norse females, if 19th century erotic photography of french housemaids is your thing, but it doesn't look quite as good on a troll.

Whatever they do, i hope they take their time to make it right. No +battlesongs on skald epic parts or skalds unique weapon, please!

Aeva

Banned
My personal opinions :)

For the first time, the world of Dark Age of Camelot will have fully customizable horses. We're not talking just a new paint job; players can outfit their mounts with barding, special saddles, and armor. The horses will be almost as customizable as the players' characters themselves, Mythic promised. As mentioned, you'll need the expansion pack to take advantage of the customization options, as well as possessing a character at least level 45. Other mounts, such as unicorns and nightmares, will be available to ride too.

I like the idea of mounts and being able to customising them.. aslong as the can't be used in rvr, I can see chaos happening if they were lol

I personally dont like the idea of champion lvls, i already have mls to deal with and i can see cl's being the same thing :/
i personally love the idea of giving new weapons for each class.. this would make old world quests much more popular and actually worth doing.

nice idea.. though imo i thinks its a bit silly having a paladin being able to cast a bolt :/

For you questing players, the storyline of DR revolves around all the kings of the realms needing help. Players will work together to figure out who is behind the chaos, and who is most deserving to receive a medieval beatdown. The quests are lengthy, but not quite as large scale as previously seen.

great! a decent storyline that im actually interested in, its great seeing mythic actually patching up the old world zones

I dont get the 'soft grouping' thing :p but its good to see more large scale quests, they are my favourite :)

nerf my english :/

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
what they should do imo is put toa/cata bonuses on classic/si epic mob drops and redo the whole bonus from them (as they will revamp it) - only thing i see interesting is the champ weapon :/ i bet support will be with +11 skill and 8 power +12 acuity and 4%powerpool :'(

Yurka

One of Freddy's beloved
Also, players will now be able to take on sub-classes. The example given to us was that a fighter could visit a mage trainer, and learn extremely basic spells.

champs could end up with quite abit of magic :D baseline stun is basic spell xD

Leathas

Fledgling Freddie
Yurka said:
would love to get baseline stun on my ranger

Killerbee

Fledgling Freddie
Umpaidh said:
Epic armour is getting revamped, but you need to do quest again
Ololol. Sure. For new players its good, for old ones its bullshit.

And I really really hope it doesnt mean we have to redo our sc again.

Influenza

Part of the furniture
Yurka said:

Aye my scout could do with baseline lifetap :D

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
Influenza said:
Aye my scout could do with baseline lifetap :D

Bonedancer insta lifetap? :)

I don't know what kind of ability I'd pick for my cleric or paladin. Maybe speed, or mana regen.. Bladeturn would be neat, though I suspect those 3 I just listed aren't basic abilities. :p Reckon it'd be possible for my cleric to spec shield? Be nice to actually get my high dex to affect my blockrate! :) Paladin could do with some ranged damage for pulling and root situations. :p

Jaison X

Fledgling Freddie
bard should have advanced evade(360º) 4. as he is very weak... and a important class...

root is also welcome :worthy:

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Killerbee said:
Ololol. Sure. For new players its good, for old ones its bullshit.

And I really really hope it doesnt mean we have to redo our sc again.

Unfortunately I really can't see mythic introducing weapons/armour which will fit in perfectly for players existing templates. All they're trying to do is make chars do pve because it's a huge timesink which will guarantee most players will stay in the game because they've just got that 'little' bit extra to do to kit out their character.

Libertine

One of Freddy's beloved
Give me my Etheral Llama from UO and make it so when a house falls in the housing zone all the loot drops the to the floor and i would be a hppy person :clap:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
kirennia said:
Unfortunately I really can't see mythic introducing weapons/armour which will fit in perfectly for players existing templates. All they're trying to do is make chars do pve because it's a huge timesink which will guarantee most players will stay in the game because they've just got that 'little' bit extra to do to kit out their character.

which is a cynical view of "they're adding more stuff for people to do to avoid being bored" :)

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
so just another next generation set of weapons (high dps / more stats or whatever) and more quickbar buttons to press.... :eek:

and what about balance and rvr gameplay? they adding stuff just for the sake of adding again? or will they take balance in mind this time?
(why do i ask stuff i already know the answer to anyway :rolleyes: )

Honza

Fledgling Freddie
Aeva said:
nice idea.. though imo i thinks its a bit silly having a paladin being able to cast a bolt :/

Well but paladin able of shooting with x-bow would be fine ;-)

Vesuvius

Fledgling Freddie
Aiteal said:

imagine if a Eldritch could take on a stealthers abilities... you know.. like stealth :twak:

Or styles with staffs. ye Eldritch staff assist train 4tehwin :twak:

hehe sounds funny

Osri

Fledgling Freddie
I just want 17.5dps Hanzo sword and pbaoe&nuke to my zerker. :m00:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom