More info on the next Xbox

Aada

Part of the furniture
I'll get both what's there to decide?

Also if you go Sony pay the monthly sub for Playstation Plus it's absolutely ridiculous value for money, got a PS3 in January and was happy to see I could download 8 full games at no extra cost, top AAA games no filler stuff, since then I've downloaded 4 more at no extra cost.

Bought a Vita as well and downloaded Uncharted £39 minimum you can get it for, Gravity Rush, Wipeout 2048, Lumines, next week it's the MGS collection.

Have yet to go and actually buy a game for these 2 systems, if you go Sony you get PS Plus its down right stupid not too for £30 a year when they have a sale on.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I am confused as to why anyone would pay a monthly fee? Isn't it free? Can you play online without the Xbox monthly pass? (or whatever it is called) genuine question!

Yes I know you pay a fee for an MMO but at least much of that goes to support and development of content etc

Aada

Part of the furniture
I am confused as to why anyone would pay a monthly fee? Isn't it free? Can you play online without the Xbox monthly pass? (or whatever it is called) genuine question!

Yes I know you pay a fee for an MMO but at least much of that goes to support and development of content etc

Because they don't have a choice if they want to play online, simples.

It's like most games these days requiring steam even if you don't want to use the fucking thing you don't have a choice if you want to play certain titles.

Last edited:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
So they charge you to play the games you already paid for? wut?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
errrr. I'm not, it is a genuine question. I have a PS3 but have never paid a monthly fee to play any games on it, I didn't know you had to pay a sub to use an Xbox.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Nope, you can't play online without xbox live, you also can't use netflix or internet explorer without it.

( you can of course play single player without it ).

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I had heard of xbox live I just didn't realise you had to have it to play online.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Did I miss something, Xbox changing to a monthly pass charge for Live? the annual subscription to gold service is fine but a monthly fee would piss me off. At the end of the day the games make the console not the other way around. Regardless of spec it is the choice of titles that people want to play that will drive the decision on which to buy. Well that and the fact I would not trust Sony to do shit very well. Credit card details in a console is a no no for me. At least with MS I can go buy a card in a store and enter the code online.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Leaked images of the 720

2knnMxg.jpg

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
errrr. I'm not, it is a genuine question. I have a PS3 but have never paid a monthly fee to play any games on it, I didn't know you had to pay a sub to use an Xbox.
You don't have to but a PSN subscription generally lets you download top quality games on a monthly basis. It would be excellent except for the fact downloading anything on a PS3 is an utter clusterfuck.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Every time I turn on my PS3 it will download something. That shouldn't be necessary.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
yeah I did notice the occasional large patch. bit naff that you're completely locked out of the system when it mandatory updates itself. I was complaining about that very thing today in the annoying things thread :-/

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
News (rumors..)

- 720 is read from HDD only, games install from BluRay as a distribution method only.
- No 'waiting for patches to update the system as it's built into background processes'
- Games install and let you play at the same time
- Online Preferenc (As in, built to be online. But offline play is doable - A lot of fuss about this, awaiting details)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Every time I turn on my PS3 it will download something. That shouldn't be necessary.

The most annoying thing is that and the installs, i downloaded a Playstation Plus game the other day GTA style one i can't think of the name but it took absolutely ages to download on a 120mb connection fire ethernet and then it took LITERALLY 15mins to install.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Never buy Rage... I did that, the install took an hour... from DISC!!!

Litmus

Resident Freddy
Are the consoles them selves going to be locked to the original owner too, to prevent resale?

Yaka

Part of the furniture
not this gen, if they did that then theyd lose out as some nutters prefer switching le game based consoles (mgs3 ps3, halo based x360 etc, diff colours and slim variants etc

thinga sega started the trend, sony saw sales pick when a diff coloured ps2 was released, and ms also saw units shift a bit more with cod and halo based consoles

btw got a feeling x360 front plates might be collectable items preety soon specialy the autgraphed ones they did for the odd game early on

Aada

Part of the furniture
Sony seem to be going for the core gamer this time, however the PSN among most gamers is regarded as shit if you want to go online so that could still put people off.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Having both 360 and PS3 I've always found the XBL/PSN network argument to be a nothing. They both work. PS3's problem always was its complete inability to handle anything it had to download in a reasonable manner, e.g. the patching system, system updates, etc. I've always been more inclined to the PS3 subscription model in any event as it is a reward based system (buy this get better/more) as supposed to XBL which is a punishment based system (don't buy a subscription this stuff doesn't work).

The first to do "always on" and/or "only purchase digitally via their store" shit can fuck off this generation as everyone knows a moderate gaming PC will be far superior and offer price competition (Steam might be needed to run most games but that don't mean you have to buy from Valve).

Aada

Part of the furniture
Having both 360 and PS3 I've always found the XBL/PSN network argument to be a nothing. They both work. PS3's problem always was its complete inability to handle anything it had to download in a reasonable manner, e.g. the patching system, system updates, etc. I've always been more inclined to the PS3 subscription model in any event as it is a reward based system (buy this get better/more) as supposed to XBL which is a punishment based system (don't buy a subscription this stuff doesn't work).

The first to do "always on" and/or "only purchase digitally via their store" shit can fuck off this generation as everyone knows a moderate gaming PC will be far superior and offer price competition (Steam might be needed to run most games but that don't mean you have to buy from Valve).

Yeah i like PS Plus, defo value for money.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
Sony seem to be going for the core gamer this time,.
sony were doing the same pre ps3, but they lost most of the exclusives as they refused to listen to devs thier blind arrogance cost them dearly.

with ps4 they seem to be doing what they did with the ps2 but sony being sony will prolly fuck it up a little some how

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom