More fantasy books

fatty

Fledgling Freddie
Hello people,
looking for more fantasy books to read.

i have pretty much read everything by Robert Jordan, Raymond E Fiest, David Gemmell and a couple more.

any suggestions on good authors or books.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Have you read:

Peter F Hamilton?
Philip Pullman?
Terry Pratchett?
Ian M Banks?
Harry Harrison?
Tom Holt?
Robert Rankin?

Hot Soup

Fledgling Freddie
A few of the obvious ones before I go to bed

Dark Materials Trilogy by pullman , The Artemis Fowl books by colfer , robin hobb farseer ones
It's not everyones cup of tea .. and even people who like it think he's taking the piss but jordans wheel of time series ,
wiess and hickamans original dragonlance trilogy is also worth a read

I would also recommend I Am Legend by mathieson

fatty

Fledgling Freddie
Hot Soup said:
A few of the obvious ones before I go to bed

Dark Materials Trilogy by pullman , The Artemis Fowl books by colfer , robin hobb farseer ones
It's not everyones cup of tea .. and even people who like it think he's taking the piss but jordans wheel of time series ,

I would also recommend I Am Legend by mathieson

cheers

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Stephen Donaldson. Can't remember the precise title, but two books about mirrors. Extremely good stuff. His unbeliever chronicles are also very good, but quite tough going sometimes.

Patriarch

Fledgling Freddie
If anyone recommends that you read The Redemption of Althalus ignore them, because it's terrible. If you have already read it I pity you.

Anul

Fledgling Freddie
The song of ice and fire books by George RR Martins is my absolutly favourites also the books by Robin Hobb and Steven Erikson are great.

Patriarch

Fledgling Freddie
J.V Jones has written some outstanding fantasy- The Book of Words trilogy and the first two books in the Sword of Shadows trilogy are fine examples.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Brian Aldiss (I think) did the Helliconia series (3 books), which chronicles a planet in a binary system, and how the lifecycle of the planet works around the orbit of the hotter sun. Its really very good, and very well thought out. Human development is severely stunted during the winter season (which lasts several hundred years), they biologically change to become fat people (its pretty gruesome how this change happens, and what/who they eat to become fat), during the summer season, which lasts an equally few hundred years, they become thin people (basically they all do Atkins Extreme). Its really interesting to see them rediscover things that they learnt in the last summer, and progress slightly further.

Its also made more interesting by the fact that humans from this planet are in orbit, observing all this, and goes into detail about how our lives slowly begins to infect their lives, and how their planet affects our own evolution. Basically, go buy them, they am good.

Lam

Fledgling Freddie
Don't forget about Anne Rice.

Interview with the Vampire and the following books are very nice to read and so is her book Lasher.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Try the "Coldfire Trilogy" by C.S. Friedman and the David Eddings series....

Afx

Fledgling Freddie
I know i mentioned it on the other thread but definitely read the chronicles of amber by Roger Zelazny, Best fantasy series ive ever read.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Hot Soup said:

I agree. Also, if you liked the first trilogy (Chronicles: Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Spring Dawning) then I would strongly recommend the Dragonlance: Legends trilogy.

Tareregion

Fledgling Freddie
Can't believe no one has mentioned LOTR by Tolkien yet :eek: oh and Redemption of Althalus is quite fun actually, just tis a bit far fetched, some parts :)

Hot Soup

Fledgling Freddie
heh , I pretty presume anyone who reads fantasy to have read or at least have attempted tolkien

Sar

Part of the furniture
Bought that Redemption of Althalus donkey's ago. Never got more than a few chapters into it though for some reason.

May try it again some time, but I've several other books to finish off first:

Dude, where's my Country: Mike Moore
Redemption Ark: Alastair Reynolds (His books are worth getting btw. V Good)

Some worthwhile reading (not necessarily Fantasy):

The Harry Potter Books: JK Rowling (brilliant, far better than the piss poor films - although my reading of the books prior to the films being put into production may have biased me somewhat)
Altered Carbon: Richard Morgan (superb SF Noir)
Contact: Carl Sagan (different from the also brilliant film by quite a long margin)

One more thing:
The Wheel of Time Series: Robert Jordan. These are good, but RJ tends to lose the plot (literally) towards the more recent books. I read the first 8 books inside of a couple of months, but stopped midway through Winter's Heart, cos he started dragging the plot until it was threadbare. And Crossroads of Twilight is apparantly more of the same - stretching out 100pgs of plot (being generous here) to fill a book.

Meatballs

One of Freddy's beloved
Terry Brooks - Magic Kingdom for Sale. Sold! (and the rest of the landover series). I also enjoyed the Shanara series if you like elfy kinda things :)

Tad Williams - Memory Sorrow & Thorn. And Otherland.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Razzle: Best of Readers Letters Vol 4.

Oh :(

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Try Michael Moorcock. But not the Jerry Cornelius stuff. The Eternal Champion series is excellent imo.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Anul said:
The song of ice and fire books by George RR Martins is my absolutly favourites also the books by Robin Hobb and Steven Erikson are great.
Martin is superb some of the best fantasy you'll find.

Eriksson is worth a read though not quite as good to my mind (though others may disagree).

Jordan was ok - first book is quite deriviative of lotr, next 5 or 6 books somewhat derivative of dune, final set are just weak, last two books could be done in a couple of chapters TBH.

Eddings irritates me - his characters are just a little too perfect - they seem very shallow and superficial, not bad plotlines but the way the characters move through it like cardboard cutouts kinda spoils them.

Brooks is reasonable, some of the shannara stuff is a bit weak, but I enjoyed magic kingdom et al. His recent stuff is poor though.

One no one has mentioned that I quite like is Katherine Kerr, various books by her, probably best to start with Daggerspell and go through that series.

Astfgl

Fledgling Freddie
Pratchett's Discworld novels have to be my all time favourites (I get the name Astfgl from his book "Eric").

And I do like the Harry Potter books.

Tir

Fledgling Freddie
Meatballs said:
Tad Williams - Memory Sorrow & Thorn. And Otherland.

Agree totally, Memory Sorrow & Thorn one of the best series I have ever read and I have read most of the stuff listed already.

One other one that is very good is Tigana by Guy Avriel (or something like that) Kay. Don't bother with any of the rest of his stuff though.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Currently reading George R. R. Martin (on book 2 - got 4 books for xmas :) )

Others :

Maggie Furey (Shadowleague series & Artefacts of Power series)
Robert Jordan
Katherine Kerr
Robin Hobb.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Wij said:
Razzle: Best of Readers Letters Vol 4.

Stop pimping your own work.

Recommended - Fritz Leiber's Swords series.

Afx

Fledgling Freddie
Thought of another good series of fantasy books, dont think its been mentioned yet. The Earthsea trilogy by Ursula le guin(its actually 5 books now but the original 3 are the best)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen is pretty decent.... lots of twists, turns, sub plots.... and there's no real good guys... You decide who to like and dislike. Oh, and it's pretty violent too. First book is called "Gardens of the Moon"

Also, George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" is probably the best fantasy I have read in a long long time. If he continues with the same style, the series will overtake the Wheel of Time as my favourite fantasy epic. First book is called "A Clash of Kings" (I think)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
SilverHood said:
First book is called "A Clash of Kings" (I think)

Thats the second (cos Im reading it now). A game of thrones is the first

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom