Help Monitor power saving issue

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hi Guys :)

My lad's machine has a nice LG monitor but we are having a problem in that often when we boot the machine up the monitor just goes into power saving mode and doesn't display anything. I'm experimenting right now, but I am told if we disconnect both PC power and monitor power for a while it should boot up ok.

The monitor has it's own power source independant of PC, but I suspect that the GFX card is at play here as it is still drawing power even when the pc is 'off', hence the full power off helping.

Anyone have experience of this please?

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
I've had this happen in the past on different machines but can't really remember what I did in those occasions to fix the problem :( I do recall having to connect a monitor with the VGA rather than DVI cables but that resolved itself with a driver update.
Is the monitor a multi input job and is the right input being slected on power up?

Bit wierd that it isn't happening all the time...

strangely brown

Can't get enough of FH
Hi,

Could the GFX card think that for some reason you have another monitor plugged in and is treating that as the primary monitor?

Regs,
SB.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
This problem went away for a while, but came back in the week, so I got to fixing it yesterday. Tried known good monitor on same machine, and 'bad' one on mine and the 'bad' worked fine, the 'good' had the same issue.

GFX card or machine then, I say.

Pulled both PCs apart with a view to swappin GFX cards next and found a positive blanket of dust in the radiator grills on the iffy machine's CPU cooler, plus dust on the GFX card. Got to it with the hoover, giving it all a good clean, re-seated the GFX card and powered up.... FINE!

The new machine actually has a wicked CPU cooler but it does have fins on it which will clog easily over time, so I'll just make sure I clean it regularly and all should be well.

Note for self and others - make sure things are clean and free flowing before buying any new components!

TaB - clean your flat!!! :D ;)

taB

Part of the furniture
TaB - clean your flat!!! :D ;)

The flat's immaculate, I used this brilliant fan contraption to suck all the dust out and then sold it to some bloke from the interweb. Better money than I got for my 2nd hand M&S boxers.

Glad it's sorted :)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Re-visited!

Went wonky again and I decided (after some diagnostics) to replace the PSU.

All fine now :)

I dedicate this thread to Kryten :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Make sure to sacrifice your old PSU to him, in his name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom