Question Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse switch?

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I have a dream! Well it is...

I want every room in my house to have a monitor, keyboard and mouse. I want them all linked to my main computer. So my question is: Is there currently a switch, like a network hub that would allow me to do that? If not is it possible for one to be made?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You want an IP KVM, good luck on mortgaging your house to afford a decent one. Not cheap by any standard.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
If you're running a reasonably high-end Windows version (Pro/Ultimate) then you should be able to connect to it using RDP (essentially a free, single-user Terminal Server). So you could stick a cheap, quiet, low-spec linux PC in each room and then connect up using rdesktop. Not good for gaming though!

Replace above with VNC if preferable...still no good for games though :)

If you do want to do gaming, someone a reverse-KVM and that does seem like the right approach. Adderview do them for £200 or so for a 4-port one.

EDIT: Might need to scratch that idea...Adderview Prism shows a maximum 10m connection between the console and the device :(

http://adderview.com/AdderView_Prism.htm

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Haha I guess if I can afford to have that setup in my house I'll be able to afford a decent KVM Switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom