Moderna nerfed

Mavericky

Fledgling Freddie
From the latest patch notes

- Fixed an issue where monsters attacked by pets had no knowledge of the pet's controller's group. This should mean that monsters pulled with pets should follow the same rules they would follow if the pet's controller had pulled.

Which basically means that passive pet pulling will no longer work. Though I will miss the easy way to level, its about time as it was hurting almost as many people as it helped (the ones with 1 account or not the right class)

paldius

Fledgling Freddie
CLAPS

I got 9 lv 50 s on pryd mid and 2 i lv d at modern others in malm, malm is much more fun :)

Ok the list sucks but malm is big and there more spots than only lair to xp,
and now other classes (sb s hunters ...) have a chance on a grp aswel. (And dont need a sm or healer on second account).

Inca

Fledgling Freddie
On the down side everyone with a brain will just level what they need in moderna before them, i know a lot of players have around 5 50's now which means they can pretty much tailor any pve group they need.

All this means is any new players joining the game after the patch will have to compete with most players having 5 or more 50's, while i think its good they are nerfing it (i am very much hoping xp groups will return to DF etc) i do however think that the "damage" has been done. I am also curious as to how this will effect other realms. Having only played mid i thought moderna was the best thing since sliced bread, but was later told albs and hibs have similar things, will those get nerfed?

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
With a bit of luck, they will actually fix leveling in DAoC.

This means, that for a reasonable clever player (or group of them), should be able to hit 50 in the same time you can do in Modernagrav (ei, 1-2 days /played).

This being done in various areas:
- EXP from Battlegrounds.
- New instanced dungeons in Catacombs

And yes, 1-2 days /played is fast for a new player to hit 50 in a MMORPG. However, he ain't done by then. Add on top ML's, Artifacts and SC'ing. Well, he's easily 10-15 days /played by then.

Suedish

Fledgling Freddie
That's only just been changed on Pendragon tho right? Means we'll have to live with 'normal moderna' for another, what, 3-6 months?

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
Have to agree with Inca here, the damage is already done, the moderna factory should have been fixed the day Mythic found out about it. With a bit of luck GOA will receive a quickfix for it as soon as it goes live in the US (a bit like the "spellcrafting on cloak" fix we got without the normal delays).

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
You all do realize that the other realms have similiar setups?

'Fixing' Modernagrav as per this won't solve the problem.

It will still be faster to level in opted 2 account setups (however they turn out after 1.70), than it will be in pickup groups / "normal leveling".

The only thing you accomplish with this change is to make Modernagrav harder. Its just a matter of time before someone invents another opted method that may or may not be equally fast.

No, in my oppinion, the only real solution is following something along the lines of what I suggested in the previous post.

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
>You all do realize that the other realms have similiar setups?

>'Fixing' Modernagrav as per this won't solve the problem.

Dont think there is a problem, except that people want to be spoon fed lvl 50s ;) Considering that Moderna is basically only open for certain groups in the realm I would say that that is a MUCH huger problem. "Opted" pulling spots will always be available which is fine as long as they dont shut out half the realm population. There is your problem if ever there were one. As was noted above, even Malmo allowed for all classes to join the leveling race between lvl 40 and 50 without having to bring a sm/healer to the place. That Moderna is not and thus bad for the realm.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Well, in most cases, opted groups will always keep out a fairly large part of the population. Modernagrav is just so much more visible than the previous methods because a fair few more people have access to it.

Noone remember the old PBAOE groups running out?

Ei, 4 tanks, 2-3 sm's, 1-2 healers + out of group buffbots/stun bots.
Then a set time interval for leveling, typical starting monday, and dinging 50 sometime during the week.

And then Iceflower, you say "people want to be spoon fed lvl 50s".
That kind of argument may have held true a year ago. However, with ToA and the extra grinds put up (artifacts, master levels and so forth) there is much more to dinging 50 and doing your SI quests. There is now far more to the grind than there was at release. Obviously people want to cut down on the most boring part of the grind: Getting 1-50

Grayh

Fledgling Freddie
Azathrim said:
And then Iceflower, you say "people want to be spoon fed lvl 50s".
That kind of argument may have held true a year ago. However, with ToA and the extra grinds put up (artifacts, master levels and so forth) there is much more to dinging 50 and doing your SI quests. There is now far more to the grind than there was at release. Obviously people want to cut down on the most boring part of the grind: Getting 1-50
Amen to that ! :)

Damon_D

Fledgling Freddie
Guesse Moderna will be even more camped the next months.. Guesse there will be time enough for me to lvl atleast 1 or 2 more chars there

Kraben

Can't get enough of FH
Back when Moder was firstly introduced and I held my first SM sessions there, I started by pulling with my lvl 46 shaman :) AE desease and then kite all around till you got a nice and tight batch and return to kill-spot. Werent as effective as Pet pulling ofc ( which we changed to rather fast ;) ) but it was very much doable and surprisingly effective.
Also about the FoP hype ( little sideremark ) when it gets "nerfed". I hounestly believe it will only have a little effect on the Moder machine. SM's will have plenty of time to rest between pulls when FoP is active. Or you could do crazy stuff like I did in the beginning before FoP, and import 100+ power pots there before PL sessions :drink:

What im saying, it will STILL be a GREAT place to get good and fast xp. :wub:

Inca

Fledgling Freddie
Frankly who cares? Even the most active players have no more than 2... maybe 3 well TOA'd ML8+ characters, and even they struggle to get high realm rank.

I know i have 4 50's and 2 40's, but realistically i have 1 main that is TOA'd and ML'd and has reasonable rp's. I would love to get my sm the 9 arti's including silverhorn, jacina's, atlantis, cloudsong, gov, then farm the scrolls, get them to level 10, help all the other people that helped me get them..... AND then get ML8,9 or 10, but it ain't gonna happen.

Moderna is fundmentally a slightly drawn out /50. You /20 powerlevel up for say 16-20 hours dependant on group and you have a 50. I also don't care much for people that say they don't have the right class. If you want a second 50 then maybe you should consider a moderna class to get more 50's? I can't deny my sm has helped me level more moderna but is also magnificent for farming as well. People say we have 1 account? borrow a friends, stick an sm on his account and you can powerlevel whatever you want or your own, better yet stick it on some1's bb account that way all your friends can use it.

Where moderna causes mid to suffer is newer players with no 50's, and no friends with 50 shammy/sm/healer. This group of people is far smaller than these forums let on, at the end of the day while 2 accounts and an sm make life easy in moderna those that want it enough usually find some way of getting it. However a genuine new player with no other chars, plats, anything... he is the one that struggles as not only does he not have access to it but likewise he struggles to get groups where ages past we found it easy, DF, spind even malmo. It is because of this and this alone i agree with the gimping of moderna, in some ways part of me would love to log my 47 runey on and go and have some fun in DF with similar levellers but given there are so few coupled with the knowledge in my own mind that i could ding 50 inside 4 hours in moderna it is off putting. One thing as well with moderna if you get your 50, whatever class it may be, i will use runey as an example and you have quite simply no clue what it can do! Yeah you cast pbt as a leech to make life easier but then alt-tabbed back to your sm and off you went! I did ML1 with the runey and i won't lie i had no clue whatsoever except for the baseline cold dd, cause my sm happens to have the same! In some ways going back to move conventional levelling will improve the standard of the recently dinged!

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Kraben said:
What im saying, it will STILL be a GREAT place to get good and fast xp. :wub:
I do think it's kinda crappy tho, that when mids have a good exp spot they have to nerf it. Take fins who had been in the game for like forever.. You need FoP, 2 animists and the rest of the grp can be afk. In 1-2 days 6 chars are lvl 50 thanx to 2 ppl. Well that doesn't deserve a nerf tho according to mythic but moderna does, where you have 5 active players to get 5 chars to 50 :eek7:

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Damon_D said:
Guesse Moderna will be even more camped the next months.. Guesse there will be time enough for me to lvl atleast 1 or 2 more chars there

Don't you enjoy playing your current charactors? ;O

Kraben

Can't get enough of FH
Zebolt said:
I do think it's kinda crappy tho, that when mids have a good exp spot they have to nerf it. Take fins who had been in the game for like forever.. You need FoP, 2 animists and the rest of the grp can be afk. In 1-2 days 6 chars are lvl 50 thanx to 2 ppl. Well that doesn't deserve a nerf tho according to mythic but moderna does, where you have 5 active players to get 5 chars to 50 :eek7:

Oh yes i've experienced Hib kind of xping. :) Irl friends of mine are/were xping there not long ago. Its true when you say, its all about going afk.. 3 animists macroes pets, 1 bard/druid macroes group heals and a bard does pox song. Then basicly all are afk.. :p
But with the FoP nerf Animists wont be able to uphold the amounts of shrooms required, so they gotta either get more animists in group ( dont even think that would work tbh.. ) or perhaps go back to oldschool hib xp farming - FS chanter pet pull and pb with eld/chanters at pb spot.
This is where I firmly believe Moder is gonna be, and are as well atm just need ppl present and its faster, alot better than Fins due to AE stun. Remember FS aggro got nerfed a few patches back, so you gotta have mobs bash pet some more, before pb chars can start pb without gaining insta aggro - so not that good xp anymore.

Tuppe

Fledgling Freddie
necro is still king of pl, under 24 hour to 50, and this change dont touch necro´s ability at all.

personally allso wanna see malmo more used because many friends are using alott more time in 40-50 grind, and dont have bott what open option to go modern or botting.

atos

Fledgling Freddie
Does this mean mobs pulled but pets will aggro the caster? In that case pull with a warrior instead. :(

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
>That kind of argument may have held true a year ago. However, with ToA and the extra grinds put up (artifacts, master levels and so forth) there is much more to dinging 50 and doing your SI quests. There is now far more to the grind than there was at release. Obviously people want to cut down on the most boring part of the grind: Getting 1-50

Well that is more a testament to a rather basic pve game as such, the pulling from a mob camp model that has been used in all old MMORPGs isnt the most entertaining, but that dont address the basic problem which you so eloquently avoided to address.

>Obviously people want to cut down on the most boring part of the grind: Getting 1-50

It will be interesting to see if the new leveling method in the battlegrounds up to lvl 44 will catch on then since it actually addresses the pve grind a bit. Somehow I doubt it. When you get used to "free lunches" you dont want to loose them.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
From the newest test patch:
- Monsters being attacked by multiple casters using area of effect spells will no longer share aggro among the casters' group, but will instead treat them as regular spells.
Mythic loves PBAE groups, don't they? :touch:

Damon_D

Fledgling Freddie
Jaem- said:
Don't you enjoy playing your current charactors? ;O

Sure but I also like to have a char for every situation.. Kinda been my style since I played UO

Inca

Fledgling Freddie
Damon_D said:
Sure but I also like to have a char for every situation.. Kinda been my style since I played UO

In fairness in the early days of uo, you might have needed to put your "skill trade" characters on other accounts but all main characters has a cominbation of the same 6 skills with a variable weapon, archery/magery on everyone. Wasn't till later on uo life that you needed any more than 1 character.

Mikal

Fledgling Freddie
moderna will still be sm/healer + leech groups after this, but instead of a pet pulling it will be a crazy ungrouped shaman doing it. As kraben said, that's how we started, so it can be done again. The pbaoe aggro nerf will be more annoying but still wont mean an awful lot in midgard as we have AE stun

Mikal

Fledgling Freddie
actually when I think about it, the change to how aggro is dealt from pbaoe wont change anything at all, seeing as in the standard modernagrav gruppe there's no tank to taunt aggro off the sm's anyway

Azurat

Fledgling Freddie
Or you do it with old fashion thanes pulling and holding aggro.

A

Aoln

Tuppe said:
necro is still king of pl, under 24 hour to 50, and this change dont touch necro´s ability at all.

personally allso wanna see malmo more used because many friends are using alott more time in 40-50 grind, and dont have bott what open option to go modern or botting.
Necro is more like 3+ days :(

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
>What are you paying per hour?

haha, if there ever was a non fotm player price in Mid you certainly deserve it Trollum :)

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Tuppe said:
Sorry, you are misinformed. Like someone else said, necros are much slower than Hib or Mid PL (on the order of at least 2x)--the only good thing about a necro is that you do not need a group to do your PLing, so you can basically do it whenever you wish and not have to rely on getting into a group (on the other hand, there is a limited amount of good camps available).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom