Modem/Router?

Gray

FH is my second home
Hi...

At the moment, im having some rather big problems with my system, which is causing me a great deal of annoyance. I have tracked the problem down to 3 possible things.

The 3 things being the memory, my sound drivers, or my Modem.

Now, as ive ran tests on my memory its not come back with any viable errors, so i have to look at the other possibility. I am none too certain on the actual Sound, as its not really bothered me before, but, the Modem is another matter.

I upgraded the drivers on the modem to the new Thompson 3.1 drivers, being an Alcatel modem, and as Alcatel no longer support said modem/s. I have being getting Blue Screens which are now referring back to (What i think) is the actual modem drivers :

DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_THAN_EQUAL (Refers to USBPORT.SYS)
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (Refers to PORTCLS.SYS)

This modem is the Alcatel Speedtouch Frog modem, ive had it since i started 512k broadband 5 years ago and its been with me ever since. At the moment im on BTo 2mb connection.

Now, i recall a thread a few months ago stating that the Thompson-branded Speedtouch modem has "issues" with Windows XP SP2, would you think this actually refers to the drivers themselves?

The only Alcatel Modem drivers i have, are those on Disc which i got 5 years ago, although i was looking around for backdated drivers and it said somewhere Thompson took over the manufacturing of this Modem back in 2001, so i dont know if Alcatel drivers would be good.

Failing this, i guess im in the works for a new Modem. People around have been saying to get a Router, but the fact i have never used one, or know how they are operated, leaves me with a slight sense i could fuck it up configuring said Router.

Suggestions?? Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Clown

Part of the furniture
Buy a new computer. Everything about the one you have is fucked.

Gray

FH is my second home
I knooow

I have narrowed it down now as i say... Getting closer to the problem at least... Maybe.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Format said PC.

Reinstall everything from scratch.

Everything should work a-ok!!

I have the Frog Alcatel modem and have had no problems with it so far...touch wood.

Gray

FH is my second home
Reinstalled windows 3 times, from a complete format. Problem/s still occur...

It could be the drivers possibly.. If the BSoD does it again tomorrow, i will remove the Thompson drivers and install the old drivers, see if that does anything.

Gray

FH is my second home
Im quite unsure what the actual model number is of this Modem, as people are calling it "The Frog/Stingray".

My modem is branded by Alcatel, and not Thompson which may... be the cause, but many companies change brands through out their lifes id of thought.

/edit

Well emailing BT was a waste, i told em i had the Frog modem and they told me about all the problems with the Thompson 330 model. *sigh* :/.. Although this automated thing he sent did state it was the drivers, so if i crash again i'll go in Safemode and remove em

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Gray,

The more I see the number of problems that you are reporting, the more I start to wonder if it is actually a PICNIC problem..........

Problem
In
Chair
Not
In
Computer

:D

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Usually the make/model is printed on the underside of the modem...

But if its a Thompson Speedtouch 330 then there are drivers available for it on the website I mentioned.

You could try them and see if that works

Chilly

Balls of steel
remote possibility that its a hardware fault i suppose. how did you first notice the problem, what had changed when you first saw the bsod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom