Mobo and CPU AMD vs INTEL

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Just need some advice on what is a decent mobo and cpu combo in this day and age, i have not built a new pc since 2003 or so, im a bit behind to say the least.

Also just wanna point out that i dont wanna spend more than 100 quid on them both, i know that is limiting of my options but i have a limited budget

Yaka

Part of the furniture
intel all the with that kinda budget, tho i'll let kryten pop up with some nifty advice as he is in tune with all the best deals

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I've also not built a PC in a fair while, but I believe Intel are currently on top and have been since the Core Duo era.

No idea who will be best "bang-for-buck" at that budget though

Kryten

Old Cow.
As was said, it's definately Intel's reign currently.
£100 does sort of limit you however, but I'm concerned as to what else you'd need - do you already have a PCI Express graphics card and DDR2 memory?

If so, you could try the "slow" way in, get a basic motherboard for circa £50 and a second hand Core2Duo processor for 40-50 quid.

Should you chose the AMD route, bear in mind they're not as good as the Core2 kit but it doesn't make it bad either; they're rather ideal for this price range.
£100 pretty much on the nose will get you a fair motherboard - £45 roughly, and £50-£60 for an AMD X2 5000+/6000+ processor. Or, as an idea:
Ebuyer - Cheap Computers, Laptops, Digital Cameras, TVs & more! - but that motherboard is very basic. It'd get you running though, it won't be particularly slow and does have onboard graphics if you don't yet have PCIE graphics. You won't be gaming very well on it until you do though.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
As was said, it's definately Intel's reign currently.
£100 does sort of limit you however, but I'm concerned as to what else you'd need - do you already have a PCI Express graphics card and DDR2 memory?

If so, you could try the "slow" way in, get a basic motherboard for circa £50 and a second hand Core2Duo processor for 40-50 quid.

Should you chose the AMD route, bear in mind they're not as good as the Core2 kit but it doesn't make it bad either; they're rather ideal for this price range.
£100 pretty much on the nose will get you a fair motherboard - £45 roughly, and £50-£60 for an AMD X2 5000+/6000+ processor. Or, as an idea:
Ebuyer - Cheap Computers, Laptops, Digital Cameras, TVs & more! - but that motherboard is very basic. It'd get you running though, it won't be particularly slow and does have onboard graphics if you don't yet have PCIE graphics. You won't be gaming very well on it until you do though.

Nice bundle, right price too.....

No i dont have the mem or the card yet, im looking to build a semi decent pc for as little cash as i can that will be able to run modern games.

anything is better than my athalon xp and fx5200 ;)

this desire for a new pc has NOTHING to do with WAR coming out..........;)

*edit* oh and how i fear shitty link, the other thread reminded me of my past problems with them :(

Kryten

Old Cow.
Aye, but sometimes we just don't have a choice.
I'm afraid for shopping now, you're Geforce FX is something to be binned or ebayed for around £5 - there are boards with AGP graphics slots on but they need to be avoided like women with willies, they're only there to let people "make do", but a waste of money in the long run. That bundle might be the best bet then, otherwise you will need to be buying a separate video card too.

Helme

Resident Freddy
I recently purchased an AMD X2 5000+ to keep my older mobo abit longer and I must say that I'm finding no real reason whatsoever to exchange it before the I7's are out. I think I gave like £35 for it, very surprised at how good it performs for the same price as my monthly sandwich budget goes for :p

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Thanks kryt, now all i need to do is pick out one of the quite frankly mad number of gfx cards available for under 100 quid (the other half of my budget)

you know im my day we had only a few cards to pick from (goes to yammer on about the 4MB rivia 128, nvidias first card, that is STILL running in his dads pc)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well if you are buying a gfx card now as well, then go the intel route.

From your first few posts it sounded like you only had the £100 for now.

What part of your budget will you be buying the ram with. You will need DDR2 memory.

Also war is not that demanding, I run a 2 year old core2duo system (c2d6400 @2.13ghz) with 4gig of ram and a 1950xtx. It runs war at 1920*1200 with full AA and AF with no slow down.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Quite agree, even the very first gen Core2Duo processors are spinkly quick. Just seen a couple of e6300's go on Ebay for £25 a peice.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
hmm, intel may be faster but it sure seems a dam sight more expensive, but then again that has always been the case.

And im not touching ebay, to many scammers and this pc has to last 4 years

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If it has to last 4 years then definitely go with intel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom