mIRC Issue

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
I am having problems recently with my IRC :( ITS DOING ME HEED IN MAN!!!!

I can connect as normal and sometimes go several hours on it fine. Then it will disconnect and then will connect then disconnect and connect every 10 - 15 minutes from then maybe less :(

I am on irc.b0rk.co.uk :(

please help me :(

Miles_Binck

Fledgling Freddie
what is the error message mIRC gave you? Take a look in the status window (the one with the IRC network name on it) for an error message

for example

[07:56:37] * [10053] Software caused connection abort
[07:56:37] * Disconnected
[07:56:42] * Connect retry #1 uk.quakenet.org (6667)

this would be helpful in sorting any problems

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Ahhhh thanks :)

This is what I get

* [10053] Software caused connection abort
* Disconnected
* Connect retry #1 irc.b0rk.co.uk (6667)
* Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)
* Connect retry #2 irc.b0rk.co.uk (6667)
-irc.b0rk.co.uk- *** Looking up your hostname
-irc.b0rk.co.uk- *** Found your hostname, cached
-irc.b0rk.co.uk- *** Checking Ident
-irc.b0rk.co.uk- *** Got ident response
-b0rk.uk.quakenet.org- Highest connection count: 6998 (6997 clients)
-b0rk.uk.quakenet.org- on 1 ca 1(4) ft 20(20) tr
Local host: cpc2-leed5-6-0-cust33.ldst.cable.ntl.com (82.1.157.33)

Hmm software

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I may be barking up the wrong tree, but this is something to think about.

That's exactly the error message you get if someone nukes you on port 6667. There are plenty of kiddy scripts on the net that flood port 6667 with disconnect info to punt you from an irc server. I used to get this a lot when I used the nick "Gaz" on Quakenet - there was another Gaz who was wanting to use the nick so he would then proceed to flood my port 6667 to boot me off and steal the nick. I had to run nukenabber to catch him at it, then take a screen grab and send it to an IRCop who proceeded to ban him.

This may not be your problem at all, it's just very familiar to me having suffered the same issues with "software caused connection abort". Other things may cause this message though, not necessarily IRC kids.

G

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Reading the Mirc forums it seems that no one knows what causes it or how to solve it. Maybe try switching to another IRC client?

Kryten

Old Cow.
10053 disconnections are, for the most part, caused by a disconnection forced by software conflicts, commonly NIC drivers (also applies to modems/routers/vpn software) drivers.
2 hour modem disconnects that many 56k ISP's enforce will also cause it.

It *could* be caused by a "nuke" attack, but I should hope you're running some form of firewall software anyway.

Try updating drivers for anything thats between you and the IRC server (nics, modems, chipset drivers).

Hope that's of some help

Regards

Kryt
Quakenet Staff @ #help

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Afaik there's never been a port 6667 nuke, they're usually on ports that people's computers are actually listening on. As most people don't run irc servers on their desktop, they aren't listening on 6667.

BTW which version of windows are you running?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Danya said:
Afaik there's never been a port 6667 nuke, they're usually on ports that people's computers are actually listening on. As most people don't run irc servers on their desktop, they aren't listening on 6667.

BTW which version of windows are you running?

Trust me, it happens. Mirc clients connect (mostly) on port 6667 on Quakenet, so the nuke programme sends packets to the server via 6667, and then onto you fooling your client into thinking it's been disconnected.

Seriously, believe me :).

G

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Your machine doesn't use port 6667 in general when connected to irc. And the server isn't going to forward arbitrary nuke packets in any event. Most irc DoS attacks happen via script insecurities or bugs in certain clients (largely mirc).

Kryten

Old Cow.
True, most activity is logged on port 113 in mIRC.
People will tend to at least attempt nuking via 6667 though, and i can pretty much guarantee anyone who has thought about doing so, has done. Doesn't mean it's not a problem though, I've seen enough people suffering from exactly that..

A long story short, 10053 is a local disconnection, forced or otherwise.
You really can't get any more specific, as it could be anything your end from the cat emptying his/her bladder on the telephone cable to your ISP throwing a wobbly at you.

Regards

Kryt
Quakenet Staff @ #help

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom