Minor networking question.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Hiya,

I've got a dynamic DNS external address that I've set up for accessing various functions of my computer externally. This works fine, but I can't access it by using the external address internally - that is, when I'm on my Netgear router. If I use my BeBox I can and I vaguely recall there was a name for this functionality that clearly my Netgear lacks. My BeBox is having other issues and I'm planning on buying something new or perhaps trying a custom firmware for the Netgear so need to know what ability to look for.

Anyone got any ideas?

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
That's odd. My DG834 happily routes traffic from inside, addressed to the DynDNS IP and NAT'ed ports (eg: 25, 143), back into the internal network. It *doesn't* work for ports that are forwarded by UPnP requests though. I've not tried the DMZ options...

should say: running firmware 3.01.31, since the latest version (3.01.38) has severe problems: DG834v2 Firmware v.3.01.38 Woes. - NETGEAR Forums

nath

Fledgling Freddie
That's odd. My DG834 happily routes traffic from inside, addressed to the DynDNS IP and NAT'ed ports (eg: 25, 143), back into the internal network. It *doesn't* work for ports that are forwarded by UPnP requests though. I've not tried the DMZ options...

should say: running firmware 3.01.31, since the latest version (3.01.38) has severe problems: DG834v2 Firmware v.3.01.38 Woes. - NETGEAR Forums
Ah, slightly different router for me - I'm on DG834GT. Still, that's certainly interesting - I'll have more of a fiddle rather than just giving up and replacing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom