mini pc wanted

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
heyup guys. for an old lady (no really, tis my auntie) I am looking for a mini desktop pc that is small but does all the needful. her requirements are win 10 pre-installed, enough cpu/ram so she can watch youtube and netflix and stuff, and at least a 256GB storage thing to keep her cooking recipes on, etc etc.

anyone have any "this one's the one, son" pointers to a thing that can do the thing? cheers!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
get a nuc.
nuc5ppyh

add 8gb of ddr3rl - the low power laptop stuff ( only takes single stick )
and a 256gb ssd. bobs your mums something.

add monitor+kb+mouse and you're done.

You might say "but i dont wanna build", but nucs take literally 2 minutes to build.
You literally bung the drive+memory in and the system is complete, it's super easy.

Buy one prebuilt from your online retailers if you can't be arsed but it's adding £150+ for no reason.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Send vote for a nuc, they are great for that sort of thing.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Third vote for NUC. I have some installed in the meetings rooms in work all branded up. Great when clients realise the looking coaster thing at the end of the table is infact the PC thats displaying the presentation on the big screen.

Great talking point, takes up very little space.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah that is what we use it for, have it on the network for presentations and skype.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
What @ECA said. I have the NUC5PPYH and it's plenty for what you'd need (mine is either a plex client or a remote headless downloading box, depending on factors). Depends how much you've got to spend though, I think they are € ~200 barebones and you'd need to add RAM and the SSD (2.5", no MSATA or M.2 until the next gen).

They also come with a VESA mounting bracket so you can actually mount them to the back of a monitor (with a VESA mount obviously) for pretend all-in-one goodness. Configure it in the BIOS to wake on a keypress and your dear old aunty would never actually have to touch it.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I've got a skylake i5 nuc - it has a samsung m2 in it - but the tall case also has space for 2.5 inch HDD

Chassis Intel NUC6i5SYH
Memory 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 memory modules
m2 SSD 512GB PCIe SSD drive

Its been pretty good - probably more than you need though - you can go over to Nuc blog and use the configuration wizzard to spec them up.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Gigabyte also kind of copied Intel and made their own small form factor range called BRIX.

TdC

ooh I like the look of those :D

TdC

sorted one out. with 8GB RAM and a 512GB M.2. Got an NL windows 10 to go with that and it's all good. now I just need my nieces to not kill me when I gift it to auntie heheheh :D

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
We had one of you weird Dutch types in the office the other day and he asked me in perfect, unaccented English whether I could sort the sound out on the big screen for him, that he had plugged his laptop into. I fully expected his laptop to be in English...it wasn't.

He likes playing youtube videos about Friesland.

TdC

hehehe things become odd real fast when you can't verify :)

what grinds my gears is that while I have an English W10 install, and choose EN options for languages, shite like uPlay FUCKING INSISTS on swithing to Dutch just because my IP happens to be an NL IP. no, not a service I enjoy.

TdC

just ordered an i3 based Brix, 8GB DDR3L, 256GB SSD. we'll see what we make of it :)

TdC

sooo, it turns out the Brix wasn't available so for a small amount more I now have an i3 based NUC, 8GB, 256GB M.2 SSD. installed Win10 on it earlier and named it "auntie's nuc", as, well, it's for my aunt. I'm typing this on it's keyboard. for such a little thing with a small 2.1GHz i3 it's surprisingly quick. sorted :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Nuccy with yr auntie oh matron.

Youforget that you dont need the mhz when u r doing basic things.

TdC

You're so painfully a bot that you can't even finish a sentence. Prove me wrong and I won't ban you :p

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
You're so painfully a bot that you can't even finish a sentence. Prove me wrong and I won't ban you :p
Maybe he was typing it on one of those dodgy standard Bluetooth keyboards from Apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom