Misc Micro electronics, soldering, fixes, diagnostics... all that jazz!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hey all - been watching a lot of microsoldering and repair videos recently trying to learn more about electronics. I'm slowly getting my understanding up, but was wondering if we have any local experts here anyway?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Same as you, just starting.

I got a couple of kits off ebay.

and the like, very good for practising, and comes with all the bits.

As for kit, not spent a great deal, probably less than £100, I am thinking about getting a decent light/magnifier/screen though, some are quite pricy.

Edit, saved myself a load of money by repairing my car key fob for less than £5, and that was because I had to buy 10 of the componant.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Same as you, just starting.

I got a couple of kits off ebay.

and the like, very good for practising, and comes with all the bits.

As for kit, not spent a great deal, probably less than £100, I am thinking about getting a decent light/magnifier/screen though, some are quite pricy.

Edit, saved myself a load of money by repairing my car key fob for less than £5, and that was because I had to buy 10 of the componant.

It certainly can be expensive, especially for the good kit. I'm getting slowly better and understanding what's what, but in reality I don't think I'll ever be very good given my shaky old mitts. What I am doing though is taking on almost lost causes headed for landfill and trying to figure them out... case right now is son's old HP laptop which supposedly needed a new adapter port / power switch. I gave up previously when it still didn't work after replacement, but I have finally had a breakthrough in finding a duff capacitor. A tiny one.

... and fuck off everyone, they do NOT look gigantic to me :eek: :twak:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Microsoldering definitely sounds like a way of describing soldering for little people...

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
I had managed to fix and microsolder my Sony XM3 headphones, tested the audio and touch panel function before putting it all back to together..... only to drive a tiny fixing screw straight through the main audio cable when doing so. I was livid.

Work mate heard my story, properly laughed at me, and told me to give it to his dad, as he's passionate about the topic of repair and electronics / soldering.

To my amazement, he managed to undo the damage I did and fixed em. So now I have both XM3 and XM4, since I jumped and bought the next model once I ruined mine.

Context:
View: https://youtu.be/LK9OoN222l0?t=281

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm still slowly progressing on the old HP laptop... I managed to locate a capacitor which was shorting to ground. It's on 0603 component (tiny) but I did manage to safely remove that... short is still there, so next step will be to remove a 20 pin IC. Not brave enough for that yet, so just won a bid for a dead laptop motherboard to practice on... £3 (y)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm still slowly progressing on the old HP laptop... I managed to locate a capacitor which was shorting to ground. It's on 0603 component (tiny) but I did manage to safely remove that... short is still there, so next step will be to remove a 20 pin IC. Not brave enough for that yet, so just won a bid for a dead laptop motherboard to practice on... £3 (y)
Good stuff, I used to love dabbling with soldering irons etc. Thought I was the man when I got my first gas powered soldering iron.

Anyway, with your eyes being so close to ground I would expect you to easily locate a capacitor.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Good stuff, I used to love dabbling with soldering irons etc. Thought I was the man when I got my first gas powered soldering iron.

Anyway, with your eyes being so close to ground I would expect you to easily locate a capacitor.
It fell on my head ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom