Advice Messed up windows 7 installation on my SSD.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
I've messed up my installation of windows 7 on my ssd as I forgot to set it to AHCI mode and I didn't unplug my other hdd when I installed windows 7. Basically the windows 7 is installed to the SSD but the system reserved partition is installed to my hdd so every time I boot up I have to choose from two windows 7 boot up options which is annoying.

Is there a way to transfer the system reserved over to the ssd or do I have to do a clean windows 7 install on the ssd with the hdd unplugged? And if a clean windows 7 on the ssd is required is there a way to delete the system reserved on the hdd without formatting it?

Thought installing ssds would be easy but apparently not.

Here's the current disk management.

Partitions.jpg

Disk 0 is the ssd
Disk 1 is the hdd

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Ignore what I said about AHCI as the bios set it to that automatically.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I would start by unplugging the Old HD then booting. If it boots fine then you should be OK to remove the second OS from inside msconfig which you only really want to be showing your C Drive installation.

MSCONFIG.JPG

But if your machine does not boot with the old disk unplugged then try pressing F8 at start up and following the Start Up Repair process. I am not sure this will work though as it it needs the System Reserve partition it would need to move all your Data along to create a new partition at the front of the disk.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Sounds complicated, I don't know how to use msconfig so I'm probably better off just doing a clean install.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
All sorted now. Did a clean install and deleted the system reserved partition on the old hdd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom