Motoring Mercedes Drivers/Variable Speed Cameras.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
This old bean.

Scouse, it's me, I get pissed off if I drop something, I mean murder angry so I will always get angry at stuff like this chum :D

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Anyone who disagrees with you about the moronic M6 gantry cameras has clearly never driven past Birmingham.

Almost as stupid as the work they are currently doing to remove the hard shoulders. What could possibly go wrong ...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I drive a Merc, you cunt.

Hitler-Riding-in-his-merc-001.jpg

Trem

So, I was back to it again this morning, up nice and early (6.30am) to miss the traffic. All brilliant until you hit those fucking gantry cameras WHICH CAUSE MORE CONGESTION. Then because you aren't meant to change lane guess what I get stuck behind - IMG_20140623_073524.jpg

I suppose I should conceal the reg for privacy purposes but I won't because the guy was a cunt. He was slooooooow then FAAAAST then swerving and he repeated that all the way through the gantry cameras (there they are for those that haven't seen them, they sit behind the neon 40mph sign as you go under it). I finally got pissed off being behind him and changed lane and went past, yep, you guessed it he was on his mobile phone. Surely those marques have hands free built in or he could afford a fucking Parrot system or something. Or are they only for the normal scum people and does the law not apply to Merc drivers? For those that may raise the issue of me taking a picture while driving, as you can clearly see the traffic was at a stand still and I thought it was worth it for educational purposes :D

gohan

FH is my second home
Don't seepd camera's have to be yellow? aren't they just traffic came to measure congestion etc? The M25 has the varible speed limits and the camera's above with the sign etc, but they're all disabled (or at least M3 up round to A1M are) otherwise I'd get banned several times over on each trip to and from Stevenage. Plus they have them like every mile or so so you could lsoe your license in less than 3 mins for 4 seperate speedin offenses which would be a bit bullshit. especailly when at like 3am the road is empty and they still have the variable limit set at 40mph... that can definately suck a dick.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I remember traffic through Birmingham years before those gantry systems went in, believe me it was just as bad. That the traffic isn't actually any worse now, 20 years later, is a testament to how well those traffic engineers have been doing their job.

And the majority of motorway breakdowns are of the "can continue until I find a respite" variety, so the full length of the hard shoulder isn't always needed.

I sometimes think that people presume that traffic engineers, certainly the motorway variety, do stuff for laughs. I think they have a thankless task and do it very well.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Don't seepd camera's have to be yellow? aren't they just traffic came to measure congestion etc? The M25 has the varible speed limits and the camera's above with the sign etc, but they're all disabled (or at least M3 up round to A1M are) otherwise I'd get banned several times over on each trip to and from Stevenage. Plus they have them like every mile or so so you could lsoe your license in less than 3 mins for 4 seperate speedin offenses which would be a bit bullshit. especailly when at like 3am the road is empty and they still have the variable limit set at 40mph... that can definately suck a dick.
The m25 cams have been disabled almost since they were put in. But from the A3 round to the M40 they are being handed over to Surrey police and activated this summer. So watch out

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Anyone who disagrees with you about the moronic M6 gantry cameras has clearly never driven past Birmingham.

Almost as stupid as the work they are currently doing to remove the hard shoulders. What could possibly go wrong ...
The gantry cams round brum are on the m42 aren't they. Past the nec and stuff. I never use the m6 part as I go on the toll road which is great.

Trem

The gantry cams round brum are on the m42 aren't they. Past the nec and stuff. I never use the m6 part as I go on the toll road which is great.

Not everyday in a van @ £11 it isn't though mate :(

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
When I lived in UK and commuted the M3 and M25 everyday I used to have the same feelings for van drivers, mostly white van drivers for some reason. Inconsiderate arseholes mostly. I was driving an A4 at the time :)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
The m25 cams have been disabled almost since they were put in. But from the A3 round to the M40 they are being handed over to Surrey police and activated this summer. So watch out

They were running for years when I was doing that M3 to M4 section. Surrey Police are tossers about the cameras, Hampshire police used to be great as they did not like them on the motorways. If I remember correctly the chief (mid 90s) said they caused more accidents than they adverted due to people breaking hard when they saw them.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Thats life in the big city.
Whenever I drive down south I get this overwhelming feeling that everyone is a lot more pushy..self obsessed..and in a constant halo of stress..I cant even relate to it..inside of the M25 is like some giant Starwars bar to me.

Trem

The M25 is surely the most ghastly piece of road in Britain? It is year's since I was on it and I am still scarred by the experience.

leggy

Probably Scottish
I remember traffic through Birmingham years before those gantry systems went in, believe me it was just as bad. .

Couldn't agree more. I lived there about 2 years before the variable speed system was installed and it was a fuckside worse. I still don't like driving past J7 of the M42 but it's less rage inducing than it used to be.

The M6 toll needs a subsidy to at alleviate at least some of the congestion in that area. 6 clams or whatever it costs is a fucking outrage.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Don't seepd camera's have to be yellow?
They have to be advertised a set distance before you get to them and they can't be concealed. I think the yellow paint is just to stop people saying they could not see it.

My most controversial opinion is that they should not need to be glaringly obvious as they are then pointless. What is the point in speed cameras where you can do 100mph most 99% of your journey and only slow down as you pass them. If you want everyone to do the speed limit have the fuckers hidden and give points not fines. When you are on 6 points and you don't know where from you will wind your neck in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom