Memory question

G

i am useless at memory stuff,

so here goes.

i have a gigagyte GA 8I915PMF motherboard that currently has dual channel pc3200 ddr 400 memory in it (2 sticks of 512meg)

the cpu is a p4 3.6 650

there are another 2 memory slots

i have some memory that i could put in but dont know if it will work.

2 sticks of 512 meg pc3200 333
or
2 sticks of 512 meg pc4200 444

the nothches on the pc3200 and the pc4200 are in the same place so i don't think the pc4200 is actually ddr2, thats the bit i am confused about

which one can i put in (if any)

G

fixed.....................................................

i put DDR memory in it

Kryten

Old Cow.
Was gonna say, the 4200 wouldnt possibly have worked in it nor are the slots in the right place - unless they where both DDR2 - not much 3200 around in DDR2 other than in servers.

Malecheon

Fledgling Freddie
<hijack>
Another memory question then, cos I've also got no clue about what all the different numbers mean these days.

My Dad has a Packard Bell, with 1 stick of RAM that says it's 1gb unb pc2-4300 CL4

I assume PC2 means it's DDR2 ? I did a quick google and think the 4300 means that it runs at 533, so would something like this be compatible as an upgrade ?

thanks
</hijack>

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?

Only if its a laptop, since its an SOdimm stick there.

A useful trick I do, is to run the crucial memory checker from Crucial UK
once you get the info from that site, shop about for similar specs from other sites

your looking for 240pin DIMM's for a desktop computer, much like this one

Kryten

Old Cow.
Spot on but a little advice - NEVER EVER TRUST CRUCIAL'S SITE FOR CHECKING COMPATIBILITY FOR OTHER PEOPLES PRODUCTS.
Crucial will only guarantee their own products work, and even if a module of theres is identically specced to another brand (including Micron!) it might not work.
I have to put that warning on all my eBay memory auctions as a lot of people google things like "latitude C600 memory compatibility", find Crucial as one of the first hits and see that Crucial do a PC133 module that fits them. So they assume all PC133 modules of the same spec work, when they certainly don't.

Not very relevant here, but when checking compatibility, always use more than one source :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom