Memorial service for Oggy Bumblefinger

B

Brealanna

Guild Terra Dominus is in mourning over the recent death last Thursday of one of their GMs, who passed away after a long battle with cancer, Oggy the battle druid will be sorely missed by his fellow guild mates and the realm of Hibernia.

To pay our respects to this fallen comrade, guild Terra Dominus will be holding a ½ hour silent service in the Emain Bowl this Saturday (19/10/02) at 21:00 – 21:30 GMT. During this time Terra Dominus will neither attack nor defend themselves, this is their quite honour of a fellow gamer that will never be able to fight alongside or against again.

During this time we request that all three realms call a truce so that those who wish to honour Oggy and his memory can do so, all three realms are welcome to join us at this time of our loss. Our only request is that you hold off aggression until our time of mourning is over.

To those who would disrupt this service, Terra Dominus will not defend themselves but they will have their logs running, any injury or death caused to our guild during this time will be noted and you will become a hated foe. A foe we will track down when ever we can and kill with no quarter given, for this is a time for grief, but afterwards will be a time for vengeance.

I have asked a boon of GOA (as detailed below), I hope they respond positively to this request, in the least to show their customers that they are willing to do something special for extreme reasons.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday 16/10/02 one of the founding members of the guild Terra Dominus in the
Hiberina realm, died in real life from cancer, he played all through beta
testing and at the start of retail but over the past 3-4 months he was unable to
play due to his illness. He was guild leader for a time of Terra Dominus and as
a guild we wish to honor his memory with in the game with this hopefully simple
request.

We as a guild would like to hold a 1/2 hour silent vidual in the the Emain Bowl,
below the Alb mile gate where he hunted so often, we are planning this for 21:00
to 21:30 GMT, during this time we were wondering if a perament grave marker
could be set up for him there as a mark of respect, we would perfer a different
marker to the normal one if posible but will settle for a standard one if this
request can be met. If it is posible could it also be set so that if someone
clicks on the grave or right clicks it comes up with a message or pop up window
saying something like 'In rememberance of Oggy 15/02/02 16/10/02, Farewell our
battle brother' if this could be done our guild and realm would be more than
pleased.

If the grave is not posible, is it posible to have the banners of Dun Crimthainn
made black for time stated above while we have a quite service there.

About the Man behind Oggy.
Martin xxxxx played Oggy, one of the first Level 50 druids in retail, he was a
very active character, well like and thought of, he was known by most of the
older players in Hiberina as well as many a member of Mid and Alb, he is a sad
loss to the gamming world as a whole and I would like to think that GOA will
honor him and the people who play on the Excalibur server by granting the above
request if it in their power to do so.

I will post the Notice of his death on the Barry's world forums with a request
that all realms respect the silent vidual of Terra Dominus as they stand an
honor guard in the Emain bowl at the above times. Terra Dominus will be in
mourning during this time and will not be attacking anybody or defending
ourselves during this vidual.

Awaiting your speedy reply,

Brealanna
A very saddened Warden of 47 seasons,
Guild leader of Terra Dominus.

S

Sortbane

Ick.. Hate to hear about the loss of a fellow gamer, things like that can happen to all of us with no warning.. I find it only fitting to give a memorial in the virtual world he loved so much so I will show up and honour his memory as a gamer..

I shall inform my guild in wich I'm a GM that we're not to attack during this time the memorial is set to.
I hope my fellow midgardians will do the same in memory of a fellow gamer.

- Sortbane - Odins Æresgarde

B

Brealanna

Thank you

Thank you Sortbane for your message and your help during this time.

If the guild people who see this can pass the word to their Gms, it would be an even greater honor to a passing friend and gamer.

S

Spix

With all my respect to the late Oggy , but isnt the choice of place to hold the cermony , Bowl in Emain the same as looking for trouble? . There is sort of about 1000 times better places then using the main zerg place to be standing afk for 30 minutes.

You say you will have your logs running so you can see what rascal hit you and then hunt them down for eternity.

"To those who would disrupt this service, Terra Dominus will not defend themselves but they will have their logs running, any injury or death caused to our guild during this time will be noted and you will become a hated foe. A foe we will track down when ever we can and kill with no quarter given, for this is a time for grief, but afterwards will be a time for vengeance."

For your information not all on Excalibur reads forums or are in a alliance/guild that can pass the information on to you, many dont even speak/read english, are they to be punnished for not knowing whats going on?

Dont get me wrong.
I wont interupt, but im sure someone will, and if you are in emain dont come here like you are supprised whining about it afterward.

B

Brealanna

A Eulogy to Oggy

This Eulogy was written by my co-GM in Terra Dominus and far suppress what I could ever write but is what I feel about my departed friend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My heart is empty. My brain is empty. I am so cold....

You think it's just a game, you do it for fun, when you die you press release and then you can just go on as if nothing had happened.

You make friends, you make enemies, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, it's still just a game.

You are given assignments and responsibilities, you are getting more and more involved in the guild, but it's still just a game.

But slowly, without you beeing able to say when it started, the game turns out to be more than just a game, it starts to become a part of your Real Life....

You are acctually feeling sad when there is a crisis in the guild, you can have problems going to sleep in the night as you are thinking about different things that need to be done in the guild, about plans you have and goals you want to come true.

But the most important thing that make this kind of game different from all other kind of games, is that you starts to know the other players and you suddenly count them to your friends among your other RL friends.

I'm lucky, I have many friends in Terra Dominus, and a few are really close friends, friends I would like to meet in RL, would like to share other parts of my life than just DAoC with. One of these friends were Oggy....

I can't remember when I first met Oggy, he has always been there. It was in the beta, so much I know for sure, and he was very early a friend in the game. But when I suddenly was promoted to GM, without any notice, without ever expecting or even wanting it, and I felt the burden on my shoulders, the first person I talked to and asked for help was Oggy. And of course he helped me then, as he did many, many times later on.

Whenever I was depressed, had any problem (in game or in RL), Oggy would listen and cheer me up, with his wonderful sence of humor. And when he brought me on the first RvR trips to Gorge, hunting stealthers and grey-killers, he also introduced me to the thrill of being a hunter and being hunted.

I was shocked when he first told me about his cancer, but he calmed me down, saying the treatment went well and that he enjoyed the life he had, spending most of his time in Hibernia. Of course I was sad when he suddenly disapeared from us many month ago, but the little information I got just said that his medication had been wrong, that he needed to rest for a while and that we would soon meet again...

Today the shock came, and with that the sadness and the tears. This is no game, this is Real Life. And Real Life is cruel, you can't release, you can't come back. But even if I miss him so much, my memories will still be memories of light. He was a wonderful person, always kind to everyone, always prepared to help, always making the rest of us smile and laugh. A little of Oggy is still living in TD, much of the kindness and joy we share is part of him.

So thanks Oggy, my dearest friend, thx for letting me know you, even if it only has been here in Hib. I hope you are looking down on all of us, sharing the same bright memories. You are still with me in my head, you will always be there...

Armidel

W

Whoodoo_RD

My condolences to all that knew him.

I will request that emain is left alone by my guild during this time, and hopefully the message will pass to all the guilds and alliances in Midgard.

Please make sure ALL know about this event. Respect is due here, please show your understanding.

H

helis

/salute

Will forward this to our guild which will respect this.

K

Kobold

Very sad to hear. Remember him from the early days and fom beta, but didn't get to know him very good :(

It's great that TD will make this seremony to honor him. Hope GOA will agree on the recuest.

O

old.Galerrard

Deepest sympathy to Oggy's family.

The Brethren will make every effort to ensure his passing is remembered and respected.

Galerrard
Vice-GM
The Brethren
Albion

R

Runolaz

This was sad to hear.

I will post on our guild-forum.

My condolences goes out to his family and all his friends.

/salute

rest in peace...

N

Novamir

oh my god oggy was one of the nicest guys i met :(

always liked him :(

thats so sad :(

L

Lloth[TD]

Oggy will be sadly missed

Oggy was a great guy, kind, generous and helpful.

I can only hope that he's gone to that great Hibernian heaven in the sky, where we never run out of arrows, have too much money to know how to spend, and always hold DF.

Its just so sad to know we'll never see him till we get there.

*Sic friatur crustum dulce*

Lloth Araushnee
Commander of Terra Dominus
Ranger of 40 seasons

L

-Lonewolf-

A terribly sad thing to happen I will post a message in the MOTD of -First Cohorts- guild message reminding them about the event

Hope your all ok

O

old.DachraK

ohmy....I grouped a lot with him at RvsR. I presumed he quitted the game...but this is very sad news....
My sympathy to his family, friends and his guild.

F

FredaOfAxiom

My thoughts go to his family :(

I have informed my guild of the service and we will honour this time of mourning

/salute to one nice guy

O

old.Affydaffymezu

My condoleances and a firm salute.

May he indeed find rest in the sky above us.

Afun Mindbreaker

G

Gohlanchdir

Condolances to his family and those who knew him.

When it comes to celebrating it in the bowl of emain, i agree with this choice. It will be accesable for all realms, and easy to see if people are paying the respect they should. Request that my guild can come show the last respect, it would mean a lot to us

S

Skaven

Can't say I ever met or knew him, However I wish the family and friends my condolenses. I will inform our guild/alliance, not that we RvR much, but i'll try and make the half hour service if possible.

V

vulcan1

One Who Shall Be Missed

Our heartfelt sympathy to all his family

So So Sad :(

G

galdora

Deepest sympathy to Oggy's family and friends.

I have informed my guild and asked them to comply.

I hope your Service takes place without interuption in the way you wish it.

O

old.lewstherin

Such a great player gone =( oggy u will b missed!

G

gluwen

<three lions salut oggy>

well i will tray 2 get my guild ther and help you ppl :-( it has bin post on ouer main site and we well say it in ouer /as 2 and if som off ouer ppl kill 1 off yous we will tack cher off it so plz meil me or 1 off then ohters gms in game or on barryswold or ouer web pacge http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.asp?GuildID=1258&TabID=1393 and we will say it 2 him but suer my cleric lvl 42 well be ther i can rember 1 time i was faghtin oggy in emina and when i die all ohter hibby laguge at me but not him :) well shame i will never more come 2 fight him agen or ues see him in emain but i will be ther and morry whit you 2 shoe my respet for him :-(

Gluwen/Tuner

P.S
Sorry for tehr spelling i am all the way from denmark

E

Eblessair

damnit :(

Oggy, you will be missed :(

ill be there.

P

phillies

My deepest condolences, and I do not think you should worry about attackers at that time because I think alot of people will show up for this sad ceremony and that people seeing this will know that it is not a battlefield.

:fluffle:

N

Noche

I can only stay 4 a V short time Saturday :(

U´ll be missed Oggy mate :(

S

Sibanac

My condoleances to all those that where close to him.

I will not be able to attend the ceremonie due to some engagements.
I will however inform my fellow Merry Men about this event.

O

old.CrazyMuppet

/cry

I will be there.

I will specifically ask the alliance (Fellowship) to be non-agressive at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread