cause fear.
bonus vs armour.

oh and camels, so cavalry, even if it catches them, has massive disadvantages

they also out-range crossbow men, so you can slaughter them with minimal losses

:england: <- wheres the moorish flag :(

megadave

I am a FH squatter
what is it like?

half way through a campaign using ultimate AI mod. is great fun doing such an epic style campaign although still too easy imo, could easily rampage across the whole map anytime i want.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
most of the mods are as hard as you want them to be
some people use house rules to make it more interesting - only respond, never start wars, etc, puts a whole new spin on it :)

i THINK its "lands to conquer" mod, that is meant to be very hard, due to insane upkeep and building costs ,u can fight , or build, but never both, its a very long drawn out campaign style.

Mabs

most of the mods are as hard as you want them to be
some people use house rules to make it more interesting - only respond, never start wars, etc, puts a whole new spin on it :)

i THINK its "lands to conquer" mod, that is meant to be very hard, due to insane upkeep and building costs ,u can fight , or build, but never both, its a very long drawn out campaign style.

im talking out of my arse again, i meant "The long Road " mod :D

TWC clickage

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
on and off, why ? :ninja:

I used to play Lands to Conquer 2.1 and quite enjoyed it. Computer's AI seemed much better and computer actually built lots of armies that could become a challenge (not that he did anything smart with his armies anyhow) but it was 10000x better than normal MTW II, I also managed to raise huge armies myself without any economical trouble. The thing is, I just upgraded to Lands of Conquer 2.3 with the new official patch as well, and it's changed a whole lot. Computer is totally rabid and aggressive which I normally like apart from the fact that economy seems royally fucked, hard to even afford one full army with 5 cities gaining income. Gameplay just seemed gimped :<

Might try out vanilla MTWII with this new patch as well(looks like they've changed quite alot).

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
It's not too shabby vanilla with the new patch tbh. your neighbours dont automatically just decide to kick the shit out of you anymore (I've been on good relations with Denmark for ages, with both of us hammering away at the HRE).

And the bizarre armies dont seem to be built by everyone anymore (apart from the Milanese, who send out hordes of Genoese Crossbowmen like they are stormtroopers)

Reinstalled it when patch came out and quite enjoying my first game. Playing as England and had wiped out Scotland and France and have been in a protracted 5 way war, fighting alongside the Portuguese against Spain, and alongside the Danes against the Germans and the Milanese. All of us having to put up with endless moaning from the pope.

I also had a little empire in the Middle East at one point, covering 6 regions, but that was until the Mongols arrived and after some massive battles im now down to just 2.

good fun :worthy:

Mabs

And the bizarre armies dont seem to be built by everyone anymore (apart from the Milanese, who send out hordes of Genoese Crossbowmen like they are stormtroopers)

bah, i really liked those siege weaps only armies :fluffle:

one of the mods i was playing put in kingdom of jerusalem as a new faction, which is really nice, start, obv, in jerusalem, with all western tech, and get mongols and timurids in your face aswell

Delrith

Fledgling Freddie
I bought this the other day...i've played it quite alot as England, took over Spain, Milan and Scotland. The only problem is the mongols are starting to attack the few Danish camps I took, and it seems like there is no stopping them? :x what ever I use, on which ever amount, I always seem to get bulldozed.
Any advice on how to take them out?:p

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I managed to convince the Russians and Pol's to fight the mongols while I sent my forces to norway and germany I managed to beat them with numbers, there calvary is there strong and weak point, you got to have thousands of spearman and heavy infantry like dismounted knights and billman, also it always helps if you have good ol'gunpowder at your side.

Delrith

Fledgling Freddie
I managed to gather 6 generals all with full army of the best troops and managed run them mongols into the ground, now this other new lot are after my ass :(
I take it they are alot harder than the mongols?:p

Mabs

mongols are easy with:

spears, guns, archers with stakes

timurids arent easy, tbh

elephants, cannons etc.. they are designed to stop you being all powerful towards the end ;)

if you want to ...exploit the AI... with the mongols

sit in city
put stakes in a U shape inside gate
let them ram it
they charge in
they die

:england:

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Tried the new patch, it was just as boring and predictable as always. Totally randomly my ally decides to break the marriage-alliance to block one of my ports, k then! Same game development every time too.

So went back to Lands to Conquer and it's also quite fucked up, imba spearmen that the computer likes to make mass hordes of combined with pavise crossbowmen is frustrating to fight, the spearmen have more armor and attack than my heavy infantery (Norman Knights) and my economy sucks despite doing everything to fix it. I tried playing as Sicily, and I think almost every faction in game is in war with me, it's hopeless :<

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
I tried Stainless Steel mod and I must say after a few days of play that it looks promising. There are a few annoying bugs etc that need to get fixed, like a crash to desktop bug that happens quite frequently, luckily it's a hotfix out to solve it.

Cheers for recommendation, I might try out The Long Road if Stainless Steel fails :D

Mabs

I tried Stainless Steel mod and I must say after a few days of play that it looks promising. There are a few annoying bugs etc that need to get fixed, like a crash to desktop bug that happens quite frequently, luckily it's a hotfix out to solve it.

Cheers for recommendation, I might try out The Long Road if Stainless Steel fails :D

yeah, stainless steel is good, had a long campaign going that arsed up cos of a bug, didnt bother starting a new one

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Playing the Stainless Steel mod atm, pretty nice changes to the game theyve made tbh.

Although the way even loyal Generals seem to just decide to up sticks and go native is really bloody stupid.

I had a 6* loyalty templar leader seiging Adana (which is like just round the corner from the templar main base). Templar leader has 9* authority and second year of the siege, bam 3000 men gone..... annoying

Mabs

aaah, SS 4.0 is out \o/

ill give it another look :)

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Make sure you get the hotfix as well, as it fixes the annoying crash to desktop icon bug. May also add that cavalry is hugely imbalanced in standard SS, I recommend Real Combat Mod for SSv4.0 - Total War Center Forums, a small addition that balances units better. Unless you like Arab Light Cavalry walking into and destroying 3 units of spearmen ofc :D

Shagrat: Sounds wierd, I know there is a bug with one of the Templar generals starting with zero loyalty, might be whats causing him to rebel all of a sudden. I think this was fixed or is getting fixed in hotfix anyways.

What annoys me the most is the reality traits, thank god they lessened the "Destroyed reputation" trait as it was hard to avoid. It's a bit silly too when your general gets some sickness after 2 turns out in the field every time, not to mention "Severly Wounded" after every autoresolve :p

Overall I really think this mod is superb, great fun with new factions and the supply system is cool too. :)

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
So, playable? :D

(I removed the reality traits, as they were causing more annoyance than good)

Mabs

So, playable? :D

(I removed the reality traits, as they were causing more annoyance than good)

aye its come along way, 2 thumbs up - if you havent got it, give it a try :D

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
I've been playing it for several weeks now :D Stashed up with alot of minimods and stuff though, getting close to perfection!

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Expansion with Britainnia campaigns etc? Out now I think, anyone had a play?

Mabs

Expansion with Britainnia campaigns etc? Out now I think, anyone had a play?

yup

4 parts - brit, US, teutons, crusades

each has about half a dozen playable races, some start, some need unlocking.

crusades : teutons, russians, poles, danes, mongols, lithuania
america : apaches, incas, mayans, "new spain" , "new france", "new england" and some other unpronouncable tribes
brit: wales, scots, irish, english + english barons revolt
crusades : crusaders x2 (templars + hosiptalers iirc) , turks, egypt, byzantine, and the failed, er, fourth (?) crusade.

you can install each seperatley, they are between 1+2 gig each.
ther is also a mod out that allows a lot of the expansion features to be used in the campaign, not tried it but heard its good.
all in all, if you like MTW2, get it :)

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
brit: wales, scots, irish, english + english barons revolt
Only the 4 UK factions? Was hoping might be like the old MTW1 Viking expansion with more detailed ones. Oh well, guess by then was only 4 factions. More UK based units available tho with the expantion?

Will try and pick it up tonight and have a bash anyhow.

Mabs

i lie, was doing it from memory, there is a viking force of some sort aswell, think the danes, not 100% sure.

all races get specific units, some are new , some are old.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Been playing it a fair bit, it's okay but main thing irritating me is they didn't bother doing new voice over for the various factions. The irish speak in scots accents, the welsh in english and the norwegians sound like serbian gangsters.

When you pay for an official add on you want all the bells and whistles, not just a new map and some redesigned units like any free mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom