Media Player problem

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Since changing over to a TFT it seems I can't view video through windows media player - I thought it might be changing from 60hz to 75 hz or something but that doesn't seem to make any difference when I change it back.

Not changed anything on settings that I can think of but its all gone pete tong.

Anyone got any idea's or had similar problems?

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
I am incredibly uninformed about the ins and outs of this stuff, but have you tried using any other media players? Does the same happen with, say, MPC or VLC?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh I had the same when I moved from my iiyama tft to my dell widescreen. I solved the problem by reinstalling doze :(

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
I have just moved to iiyama from a CRT, have tried other media players - same problem.

Resinstall doze? whats doze when its at home sat on the couch reading the paper?

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
win - doze

Ah..you crazy internet kids with your funny language eh...

Feck a re-install !!

Thinking on that though - I have no idea what my XP keys are on this machine - mate built it - used Gen copy XP but I haven't got the discs - is there any way of finding out the CD key and using another set of XP discs I have if I did go for a re-install?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
There are utilities (iffy ones) that let you find out the product key used. You then need to use the same version - service pack 1 or 2, oem or retail, that sort of thing.

When swapping from the CRT to the LCD have you gone from VGA to DVI? I'd be inclined to try reinstalling your graphics drivers.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Will give the GFX Drivers a blast actually - have just plugged in a DVI cable and that didn't change anything.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Aye - to expand on Nath's cunning plan - it's possible the graphics card is thinking you're now using a secondary monitor. Whilst it still is happy outputting normal Windows stuff and games to the screen, copy protection (pfft) is stopping videos from playing. If you can look in the graphics card options you might be able to find this out and fix it - otherwise a reinstall will likely solve this.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Also I noticed when I have tried to download updates on mediaplayer it just crashes out at the end of the update - can't remember what the error message was atm...

Oooo driver just downloaded...here goes nothing!

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Tried new drivers - other than freaking out the PC for a few mins - it didnt work :(

It fooked up the SLI mode so the monitor wasnt booting up - had to connect the DVI to the other gfx card just to get desktop showing, once I re-enabled SLI it was ok - but still no joy with the media player :(

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh I think Kryten has the right of it. Also, your SLI may be the issue, as I also have SLI. doze went from doint everything on monitor #2 to monitor #1 when I changed to the dell iirc.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
No config or tick boxes I can amend to sort this out mebbe then?

Really don't fancy going down the old re-install route :(

Might be silly - is there any way to uninstall media player and reinstall it without a full XP reinstall?

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Hmmm uninstalled and reinstalled Media Player and still nada :(

leggy

Probably Scottish
Have you tried:

Right click desktop and select properties (obviously brings up display props)

Click 'settings' tab

Click monitor 2 and make sure the box isn't ticked that says extend my desktop onto this monitor or something.

Shot in the dark but I really have no other input :)

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Had fiddled with that as well aye :(

Gonna have to look at a re-install methinks but that means trying to find out what the XP key was on this machine as I don't have the disc, but have got a spare XP disc from another machine but obvuiously need the genuine key ...

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Have a play in the video overlay settings in the control panel type thingy.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
when you right click my computer and goto properties, isnt that the key thats displayed?

Chilly

Balls of steel
try VLC and turn YUV overlay mode OFF. Problem still occur?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom