Media player/NAS query

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Hi guys,

Giving up on the Rasperry Pi as it won't be fast enough for my needs (I think???).

I want a device which can be plugged into my TV via either HDMI or USB. The device probably needs an OS for the GUI so it can come with a small hard drive, or I can buy one. The drive only needs to hold the OS, so maybe even running it from USB.

The device will have a portable hard drive plugged in. The device is effectively just a means to allow the TV to play anything I throw at it, so a glorified VLC player if that makes sense.

I would like it so that I can access this device over the network. I can copy files/movies onto the device via the portable drive plugged in.

The idea behind my thinking is this. I have something which can play anything I throw at it, however if a friend invites me over to watch films, I can literally unplug the portable drive, take it to his and plug straight into the TV. Yes maybe his TV will not play a certain file format, but I can live with this.

What's key here is I would not be streaming content from the device to the TV over WiFi. The connection would need to be physical.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Now that I've written it down it's basically just a small, quiet, unobtrusive PC with an external drive lol. Does anyone know of something that could accomodate my needs?

Bahumat

FH is my second home
RaspberryPi will happily do that (1080p video)
Sorry for the noob question, but will I be able to use my Windows PC to transfer files onto the USB hard drive which would be plugged into the PI? Can the PC see the Pi like a mapped drive so to speak?

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
If you just stick something like Ubuntu on to it then you can literally use VLC to watch on the TV and use Samba (Windows file sharing for *nix) to "share" the USB drive over the network. Then you can copy files around on your desktop/laptop etc.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
My experience (more than a year ago) of Raspberry Pi was XMBC was too slow to be useful, Ubuntu worked fine. There are loads of guides these days to do it "properly" - it's probably the most common use of a pi

soze

I am a FH squatter
I am using a Zotac mini XS something. I find that when working the RPi was fine when it was not it was a pain to get running. Now this new one was set up once and has worked fine. Well worth the extra money. The IR port means it works with my Harmony too.

But there are other options like The Little Black Box a small XBMC box that works out the box. http://www.amazon.co.uk/the-Little-Black-Box-TLBBV1/dp/B00DW1KZAO I have not tried one but I have read some good reviews.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I saw a few reviews saying the WD stuff was not very good. I was surprised as they make good hard drives. So far the link @Embattle posted is looking like the favourite.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I've had a WDTV and have had the odd niggle but nothing major, personally I've got a Roku 3 now but it is more limited in some ways than the WDTV unless you've the right setup.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sorry for the noob question, but will I be able to use my Windows PC to transfer files onto the USB hard drive which would be plugged into the PI? Can the PC see the Pi like a mapped drive so to speak?
RasPi + OpenElec.

Hook it up, OpenElec has default windows shares done by default.

The complicated bit in this scenario would be issuing the right command to symlink whatever your storage device is onto one of the pre-shared folders.

To get around that personally I'd just unplug the storage device and stick it into the PC to transfer direct. That would be quicker than anything over the network tbfh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom