Maximum Wireless distance?

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Anyone who knows me knows that Im stuck in the sad position of living in a lovely farmhouse, 500 meters from the edge of a nice village (which became ADSL Enabled this week) but being too far from the exchange to receive ADSL.
Now then. The last house in the village, approx 400meters as the crow flies from my house, CAN receive ADSL. There's is nothing between two houses other than open fields and a few tree's.

Assuming I can persuade the owner to get ADSL ( I would pay all costs etc), will I be able to use WiFi to send the signal to me? If I use something like the Cantenna what would be the maximum distance that a reasonable signal would travel?
Can you get signal boosters to increase the signal strength before sending? What sort of latency would I expect to get?

Am I banging my head against a wall?

Help me, Freddyshouse, your my only hope.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
My brother live in the back of beyond (berkshire - omg) and he was recently persuaded that a wireless broadband would be the answer to his dreams.
An ariel type affair was installed by a professional company etc, but Im afraid the answer is it simply doesnt work. :(
Hes now haveing all sorts of rows about it with them I believe.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
throdgrain said:
My brother live in the back of beyond (berkshire - omg) and he was recently persuaded that a wireless broadband would be the answer to his dreams.
An ariel type affair was installed by a professional company etc, but Im afraid the answer is it simply doesnt work. :(
Hes now haveing all sorts of rows about it with them I believe.

I doubt he is alone Throddy :(

But i *think* Willier is on about Standard Telephone ADSL to the house in the village then putting a Wireless Transmitter on it's roof and sending it to williers house for pickup (and abuse).

I will get me bookmarks out right now and have a dig for you mate.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Right, well after a quick search of standard products (IE not bodged) there are a few options.

802.11g is the latest and (greatest) standard of wireless for the mainstream.

Boasting 108 mbps and around 400 metres maximum outdoor useable range.

Measure for sure the distance :)

This is all going on "standard" products, with no user tweaking/bodging/breaking.*

*As i tend to dispise wireless networks, this is very off hand and shouldn't be taken as bible :p

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
802.11b you can push up to about 25 miles as long as you have line of sight. With good equipment and depending on atmospheric conditions you'll be looking at around 10/11 mbps. To push those kind of distances you'll want a decent directional dish antennae at both ends; Try a Pringles Tube. Your largest problem will be firstly maintaining both antennae still. You'll only get a signal whilst both are pointed at each other and if you don't secure both very well you'll be running into problems with your signal dropping as the cans flex. Secondly both will need to be located in such a way that they are out of the way as again, any obstructions will again, terminate your signal.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Hokay,

Im excited now, so forgive any spellingk errors.

Ive just spent half an hour on the phone to a company called Solwise and he has explained the in's and out's.

Basically, I need to get my neighbour (600 meters away) to allow me to fit a router in his loft. This would be hard-wired to an 8"antenae mounted on his TV ariel mast. This will point at my house (we have line of site too), where I would have a slightly bigger antenae to receive the signal. This would then be hardwired into my loft and into my network.

Latency he reckons over 5-700 meters would be about 6ms.
Cost would be about £300 inc cable and router etc.

Now I just need to approach my neighbour and beg them to allow me to do it. Any suggestions on a good approach?

GOD IM EXCITED :clap:

leggy

Probably Scottish
.Wilier. said:
Now I just need to approach my neighbour and beg them to allow me to do it. Any suggestions on a good approach?

Mrs Wilier: "Here are some delicious baked goods. PLease let us install ADSL in your loft"

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
leggy said:
Mrs Wilier: "Here are some delicious baked goods. PLease let us install ADSL in your loft"

Ooh, ooh, Mrs Wilier nekkid Here are some delicious peaches??

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
I think 3com offer a wireless 'bridge' capable of offering connection over 1km or so. I think it was designed for connecting office buildings.

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
www.smartbridges.com Never failed me yet. Totals are the ones to go for, for point to point. They come with everything you need, except a bracket :)

All power over ethernet also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom