Matrix reLoaded

Z

Zappy

Why always campare it to the first movie?
Its one story devided into three parts.

Im am mightly impressed by the story in M2, ALTHOUGH the story was slighty better in M1, but then again.. it was all new then.

The connection between the movies are brilliant. There are lots of things I understand more from M1 now. Brilliant IMO...

Just one Q.... Did Tank die in M1?

Z

Zappy

PS. I advice ppl to see The Final Flight of Osiris b4 watching Reloaded.

S

SFXman

Tank and Dozer both died as Link's girlfriend/wife explained/hinted.

S

Spinky

The reason for Tank dying offscreen is because the actor who played him thought the character was more valuable to the movies than it actually was.

He got greedy, held out for more money and was subsequently written out to be replaced by Link.

J

Jonaldo

I've not gone to see it, from what I've heard the acting is wooden and the story is pretty weak. Obviously I can't comment on it totally as I've not even seen it myself, but as the first one was a very average film that I just wasn't outstanded by in any way, I doubt I'll pay money to see the less impressive (according to most opinions I've heard) sequel.

J

Jonaldo

omg at those people, it's just a FUCKING FILM!!!!! I just had to watch through The making of ReLoaded on ITV (English TV channel) and there's all these people trying to link it to philosophy and saying it's one of the most realistic views of the future that we've seen. Oh .. my .. fucking .. god!! these people haven't read anything remotely cyberpunky that The Matrix borrows so heavily from then.

First one was an ok average film but not some philosophy to base your life on, 2nd one is also probably an ok average film but also not some philosophy to base your life on.

Some people take things a little too seriously sometimes, how about they should just watch it and enjoy it for what it is, a sci-fi action movie.

O

old.Kram

Well, the idea of human stupidity would be the 'end of the world' can't be something that could not happen .. could it?

I'm sure we'll have robots etc. in the future, with AI etc.

I suggest you watch The AniMatrix, it goes into details about how the Matrix system started etc. how the humans 'became the architects of their own demise' - good story.

S

SFXman

Omniscieous, stop trying build-up an image of being normal. ;)
There is plenty of philosophical questions one can deduct from The Matrix. It really is a very very good topic for philosophy class... it is done in high school here, on some philosophy courses.
NATURALLY the questions do not directly relate to the movie in what they are after... they just use it as an EXCELLENT example.

Omniscieous, I never trust people's opinions on movies. I myself enjoyed Matrix: Reloaded immensly. One of the better movies I have seen in recent times... surpassed by Two Towers only from what I can remember at this very moment.
The first one was most certainly not an average film. It had more depth and space for speculation than many MANY movies previously. The second is most certainly worth the money.

The thing with Matrix trilogy movies is that they are not that extraordinary if you look at them on a superficial level. They are extremely good if you just sacrifice some time to thought and really pay attention especially to what is said and try connect it with what was said previously in the movies. It creates this huge... image of something, which at this moment is still very very incomplete and on a theoretical level due to Revolutions still being unreleased.

As to the philosophy, it is not something to base your life on. You can just discuss various aspects of philosophy or discuss the movies ideas on a philosophical level.

"how about they should just watch it and enjoy it for what it is, a sci-fi action movie"

You really miss the entire point don't you. It isn't just a sci-fi action movie according to its creators even. It has depth, unlike many many sci-fi action movies. Unfortunately there isn't really a genre for movies that have very philosophical ideas but contain action scenes (by far some of the nicest ones)...

Just so you do not start ranting about how people go too far by relating the movies to philosophy; what they are after really is that it contains philosophy that is directly related to the movie, as in the characters of the movie think of their existence in a very philosophical manner. On the real-life level it has many ideas that can be associated or compared to things that we may experience or might experience...

Anyway, as for Link, I think he is a great actor. Loved him in Oz.

R

Restart

imo it had it's bad parts and had it's good parts.

The start of the movie in Zion was just the most utterly boring crap, it dragged on for too long and wasn't alot of point to it, if anyone can tell me the point in seeing a bunch of twats dancing for 5-10mins and a long boring sex scene i would like to know :p

The action scenes were amazing, the Fight with the Agent Smith's was just brilliant, also the freeway scene.

The humour in the film wasn't needed like the awful actor french guy, and Link was just a funny one liner twat not funny at all, hes better off in Oz in his wheel chair :/
Most of the acting was pitiful, we all know Keanu Reeves cant act anyway, but i cant say the acting is something that bothers me.

Personally i thought the twins we're great characters, and they should of dont alot more with em, i mean how cool would a fight scene would of been with Neo fighting those 2 and they would dodge around using there spectre or whatever trick :p
Would of also liked to have seen alot more of the bullet dodging from the first film, was only used once in the whole of Reloaded ;(

The Architect was pretty lame imo, he spoke so much crap so fast that i personally couldnt understand half of the crap that came out his mouth, and i also felt that the ending was a load of old pants :/ i mean putting a "To be Concluded" at the end of the movie is just lame.

And yea i know i've said alot of bad points about the film, but i don't wanna ruin the good parts (if i haven't ruined enough of the film already). But anyway the one word i would use to sum the film up is Dissapointing, i expected the film to be alot better than it was.

To sum up, too many long boring parts (the start - the meetings etc etc) but the action scenes was amazing.

T

the_smurflord

Did Link wear a little green shirt and have a little green elf hat?

T

the_smurflord

This "Link" is an imposter then! Sue, I say, SUE!

A

Arnor

me too xarr

no smurflord, im sorry

edit: gif xarr back to daoc!!!1

S

SFXman

I agree with you one the dance scene Restart.
The humor wasn't needed, true, but I always enjoy one liners no matter how ridiculously stupid they are. Still make you smile at least.
I found the architect amusing in a good way. I had heard about some architect talking a lot during one scene using very long and complicated words so I listened intently and manage to understand all he spoke. However he spoke so much that I only remember the most interesting parts afterwards.
Still, I would definately not classify it as a disappointing movie compared to the crap spewing out of most film producers lately.
Hehe, real-time report, trailer on TV now. Oh it ended. Think I will go see the movie again sometime soon.

R

Restart

There was one thing i noticed which was kinda weird, not sure if anyone else noticed it as well, but just before they started there operation to try and get through the door Morpheus said that they had "9 hours" left to save Zion.
Yet towards the end of the movie back on the ship out of the Matrix, Neo tells everyone "we have 24hours to save Zion".
ermm??
:p

Edit: One more thing, did anyone else get a bunch of blokes walking out the Cinema when the Sex Scene started? :p
They was only gone out for a minute, and they went out of the stairway which only leads to the exit... doesnt lead to Toilet or anything... and was only gone for 1minute and came straight back :/ any ideas?

H

hellraisermk2

I just posted my opinion of the film elsewhere, so here it is again for your enjoyment: Note: CONTAINS POSSIBLE SPOLIERS

I've just got back from seeing this. My verdict: the film was pure visual diarrhea.

What a total and complete waste of time. It was painful to sit through that film. It absolutely stunk. The only redeeming features were some of the special effects, such as the highway scene and the fight scene with the hundreds of agents (I say some, because others just looked plain ridiculous).

I'm not going to get into analyzing the actual plot: I'm sure there was one, but they tried their hardest to hide it in overly long narrative that, to be honest, made very little sense. Like most people I like a film that makes me think during and after it (such as Requiem For A Dream, Naked Lunch, Lost Highway, Night Of The Living Dead, etc), but this was just plain ridiculous. I wanted to be entertained, hopefully with a plot that was both intelligent and coherent. Whilst I'm sure there was an intelligent plot in their somewhere, I couldn't see it. It felt like I needed to watch the first film at the same time to continually cross reference certain parts, as well as a thesaurus to keep track of just what the heck they were babbling about.

The film also made me want to vomit; how many clichés did they think they needed? Entering Zion was like entering heaven (the operators surrounded by a heavenly white light), pointless futuristic rave scene, soppy one liner’s between Trinity and Neo. The list is endless and it was pretty damn sickening after the first 20 minutes.

As for the rave scene itself, all I can say is WT HOLY F? I nearly walked out by the end of the scene. Firstly, it stunk of trying to rip off fantasy films such as Lord Of The Rings with that stupid stupid stupid stupid speech supposed to ready the remains of human population for the invasion. It was utterly unnecessary and horrible to watch (and I love the way how they inter-spliced "ye olde English" in with modern English; it sounded bad and it made me feel embarrassed to be sat there). As for the actual rave; it had no purpose or place under any circumstances ("YAY the end of the human race may be near, lets bash primitive tribal drums and rave the night away...").

At times, it also felt like I was watching a very very very very poor episode of Babylon 5 or Star Trek (I love star trek), especially the scenes with the high council, again speaking in "ye olde and noble English."

The use of music throughout the film also ruined the atmosphere. It was the most inappropriate, yet totally 100% clichéd pap I've heard in a film. It didn't fit anywhere. The whole film to me stank of self indulgence and tried way too hard to surpass the first one and others such as Lord Of The Rings. I really can't say enough just how painful it was to sit through this film (people in the row behind us were even sleeping at some points).

The film was the perfect example that good action scenes do not make a good movie. As I said early, some of the action scenes were stunning. It's just a real shame that the bits in between meant that when the action did start, it added absolutely nothing to the film and was not exciting in the slightest (and again, very predictable).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watching this disease tonight also reminded me of a lecture at university that was given regarding the original Matrix and its similarities to the Bible (heh, you only have to notice the name Trinity to see where some of the inspiration came from). Did the Vatican have a hand in making these films? I felt like I'd been forcefully pinned down and attempted to be spoon fed some faith tonight. I really hate this film... really really really hate this film. I'd rather take a nice long dip in a bath of acid, or go try and pet some 12 foot crocodiles then ever subject my eyes to this rubbish again. I've been to films in the past where I've gone back to see them a second time to better understand what was happening; this is a film I'm sure you do need to see several times to even start to appreciate it on some level and unfortunately I don't have the patience or the stomach to sit through it again.

The first Matrix was stylish, original, had a coherent and intelligent plot and was above all fun to watch. The sequal was a horrible multiple train wreck full of cliches, rip-offs, poor acting, cringeworthy moments and above all unbelievably painful to watch. I wouldn't say it was a boring film as no film that gets a reaction (good or bad) from the viewer can possibly be boring. However, it was not an enjoyable experience at all.

There's only one other film that I hated as much as Matrix Reloaded; the 30th anniversary edition of Night Of The Living Dead which was butchered by John Russo to include new footage and introduce God into the story.

Final score: 0 out of 10 (If I could go lower I would)

J

Jiggs

was pretty cool, over hyped though which i guess accounts for the negative comments:
alot of ppl expected something amazing and just got a good action movie that took itself a little too serious...

i like the whole freeway scene, the agent smith fight was just overblown cgi imo :eek:

when he got a staff and got friar on their ass tho ;)

G

g0ldenbone

I didnt really enjoy it to be honest.. Some of it I really liked, but too many sections were too MTV for me. I think they should have put some kind of interesting plot in (or indeed any plot), would have held my attention and definately taken it away from the godawful acting.

Still, wasnt expecting much so there you go. I do like the bit when neo rips the pole out of the ground though.. some of the impact shots look fantastic. And I like the bit where the two 18 wheelers smash into each other, the shockwave is nicely rendered.

Horses for courses of course.. I can see how many people will enjoy it.

edit: oh.. forgot to mention. Although I'd love to go to the club that they have down there in zion (nice women, dirty music), That scene is one of the worst in modern movie history. Its like its made for MTV.. sorry to keep banging on about it, but the film has such a throw-away, junk TV feel it was making me angry after a while.

S

SFXman

The rating "scale" for movies is much lower these days.
On the current scale this is a good movie.
Then again even if I disregard the scale I can't say I didn't enjoy the movie.
People expect too much. Why bother expect anything? Movies are always as good as they are if you didn't listen to any hype etc.
Try it out some day.

T

Teh Krypt

Im downloading it atm ... watching it on monday.. :p

G

g0ldenbone

Originally posted by SFXman
The rating "scale" for movies is much lower these days.
On the current scale this is a good movie.
Then again even if I disregard the scale I can't say I didn't enjoy the movie.
People expect too much. Why bother expect anything? Movies are always as good as they are if you didn't listen to any hype etc.
Try it out some day.

Well heres the thing mate.. I didnt pick up on any hype, I dont really watch TV, also I didnt have great expectations. I dont know exactly what you mean by a rating scale and how it's lower these days. A good film is still a good film, and a bad one is a bad one. If you mean most hollywood stuff is pap, then I agree wholeheartedly though :).

Like I said, I can understand that many people will love this movie, But Im just unable to disengage my brain through a complete film. In my opinion it didnt need much.. just a little bit of plot and some decent acting (although the bit with that french bloke was nicely overplayed, unlike the morpheus 'we will fight them on the beaches' bit, which was badly overplayed :) )

At the end of the day, I enjoyed small elements of the film. The occational impact was nice and some of the action was breathtaking, just wasnt enough for me.

O

old.Tohtori

Well, here goes.

Loved it, loved it, loved it.

But it's a divider this movie, some people hate it..some people say it's not like M1(why compare the same line ov movies?), some like myself love it. I can understand why some people don't like the movie, there are a lot of places where the Wannachowski take -real- big risks with the audience to bring out their own vision into life. With me those risks paid off and i sat through the whole 2.5h just staring at the silver screen. Music kept as it should, not overly powered and staying in the background, leaving it mostly to the eyes.

I guess what most people forget is that this is based, quite alot, on anime movies. IT is, and will be for quite some time, the only anime-real-movie around there. Those people who watch anime are probably gonna eat this up with a spoon and want another and those who don't enjoy those lovely japanese cartoons probably say "Weell...it wasn't much..."

On the long speech parts, i found them working as well but then agian i like the long animation/dialogue parts in Metal Gear Solid. No point if fighting "It was good, it wasn't good". It just works or it doesn't work.

I'm not gonna even go into how "effect based" the movie is because i found that the effects only add to the movie. I make 3d for a living and i never noticed any 3d people walking around, that's telling quite a lot on how zoned i was when i watched the movie.

I gave Matrix a 10/10. This i give a 10+.

G

g0ldenbone

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
Well, here goes.

Loved it, loved it, loved it.

But it's a divider this movie, some people hate it..some people say it's not like M1(why compare the same line ov movies?), some like myself love it. I can understand why some people don't like the movie, there are a lot of places where the Wannachowski take -real- big risks with the audience to bring out their own vision into life. With me those risks paid off and i sat through the whole 2.5h just staring at the silver screen. Music kept as it should, not overly powered and staying in the background, leaving it mostly to the eyes.

I guess what most people forget is that this is based, quite alot, on anime movies. IT is, and will be for quite some time, the only anime-real-movie around there. Those people who watch anime are probably gonna eat this up with a spoon and want another and those who don't enjoy those lovely japanese cartoons probably say "Weell...it wasn't much..."

On the long speech parts, i found them working as well but then agian i like the long animation/dialogue parts in Metal Gear Solid. No point if fighting "It was good, it wasn't good". It just works or it doesn't work.

I'm not gonna even go into how "effect based" the movie is because i found that the effects only add to the movie. I make 3d for a living and i never noticed any 3d people walking around, that's telling quite a lot on how zoned i was when i watched the movie.

I gave Matrix a 10/10. This i give a 10+.

Interesting comments mate, and Im glad you enjoyed it. I was genuinely interested to hear why people enjoyed it.. better insight now

G

Garaen

I enjoyed the film. (Just came back from watching it) I agree the begining Zion Rave bit was a bit OTT, but once it was over the film just kept of getting better and better. The story line was interesting, the Philosophical stuff was ... interesting in some aspect. It made me think. I loved the fight scenes. Except some pictures in the Neo Vs 100 Smith's scene. When Neo was flying about i thought it was very easy to see the computer animiation. Of course it was'nt as "good" as Matrix 1, but sequels usually ar'nt. I give the film 9/10, was very enjoyable and i can't wait to see the third part.

S

saltymcpepper

Anyone know what type of mobile phone they have in this one? think i read something about samsung making it but not sure

N

Nightchill

Thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Oh, except that causality isn't a constant (EPR paradox).

T

talen_sun

Originally posted by .Asmo
Of course it was'nt as "good" as Matrix 1, but sequels usually ar'nt.

Just to start this of by being pedantic - Matrix 2 isn't a sequel. It's the 2nd part of a trilogy. There's a difference. *For more info, watch Scream 3, and the conversation about Empire Strikes Back*

Sorry, my attempts at humour are crap, ah well, let's move on...

Matrix Reloaded...

Just got back from the cinema, and I enjoyed.

It didn't give me the thrill of M1 (On release, I saw it everyday for 2 weeks, with a bunch of guys from work.. now that's sad...) but it did hold my interest.

Agreed on the rave/shagging bit, that could have been cut by a couple of mins. Once that was out the way, the film started...

All I can really say is 'Interesting'. It does raise a lot more questions that it answered, in that X-Files kinda way. Is it the box-in-a-box trick? Who knows, personally, I'm leaning towards that side.

So, plot.. Not back, I can kinda see where they are trying to go, and I have a couple of theorys on what might happen next. I think thats the storyteller/DM/GM in me. It reminds me very of Mage, for those that know it. I can see a LOT of similarities between the Tradtions (Human) and the Technocrats (The Program). Sorry to those non-roleplayers, it would take too long to explain. Anyway, lots of thinks to explain again. It took over 30 mins of talking in M1 to explain about the Matrix and what it is, and again, we are bombarded with more information again, leading down different roads... I like, it made me think, and (no matter how bad I am at it) I enjoy thinking.

Effects..

Pretty damn fine. Being in IT and that kinda malarky, I can see the tell tale signs of animated 'realistic' humans pretty easily. A lot of it reminded me of the Final Fantasy movie, and what Square did with that.

Bullet-Time..
Obviously, not as effective as M1, but still very good none the less. I thought it was put to good use, and just added that extra dimesion to the fight scenes.

Music..

I thought it was a nice mix of orchestral stuff and 'nu-rock' or whatever it's called these days. The M1 soundtrack gets played a LOT in my White Wolf games for atmosphere. I'm pretty damned sure the M2 soundtrack will be there as well.

M3 Trailer...

Looking good indeed. Gave very little away about Revolution, but enough of an appetiser to get looking forward to number 3...

Overall...

A good night out. I expected a LOT from this one, and although not suppling everything as good as I thought they might do, they got pretty damned close. I'm impressed. I'll look forward to Revolution, and I'm looking forward to seeing Zion getting destroyed. (That last comment is entirley my own idea on what I'd like to see, and in no way gives away spoliers, unless I'm right, and in that case... lucky guess!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom