Matrix 2 discussions! *SPOILERS!*

N

Novamir

OMFG first of all, what a film! Aside from understand/appreciating the intricacies (which all the people with me wrote off as needless confusion), it was so epic. The fights had my jaw dropping.. when the camera panned out around the Truck as the agent jumped on the fight morpheus i thought... "OMG THEY ARE GOING TO FIGHT ON A TRUCK". I loved all the fights. I loved that Neo is now superman in the 'matrix'. The special effects were awesome. But on to the real discussion :p

First of all the ending. Neo stops the the sentinels dead after realising that "it feels the same" (cant remember exactly what he said). Now i think most clever people watching twigged this is the same feeling/look Neo had when he saw through the code at the end of the first matrix - a dawning - realisation.

What's the reason for this? Most obviously I'd say a matrix within a matrix.. that we have only seen Neo do those things before as his in-matrix avatar and therefore this must be a matrix too. But is it? I mean, although it's a very code-based plot, the CENTRAL theme is love. The ultimate anomoly.

The oracle told us that the choice doesn't matter, only the why. The understanding. Remind yourself of the scene between Neo and the creator.. he offers him the choice of saving Zion so it could be rebuilt for the 7th time, or going to try to save Trinity although she would die. Neo has learnt now never to read along the lines, as he chooses love, instinct and hope, a very non-programmable entity.

So he saves trinity by performing a miracle within the matrix - this goes to show either the creator is wrong since he isn't able to see outside perfection, and love isn't perfection OR that he was just trying to trick neo, in which case he lost :). It could also be that he isn't really the creator at all, and it's all a fake.

Now Neo is supposed to be the anomoly. The imperfect part that can't be governed, put in there by the Oracle. If this is correct, does it mean that the machines are creating the people? Or the people create their own personalities? Was Neo created as a program and then manifested himself into the real world? If so this explains Smith's ability to put his own consciousness into the 'real world' in order to hijack the raid on the sentinels by zion's forces.

SO back to the original question. How did he stop the sentinels? My gut feeling is that it's not a matrix within a matrix. I personally think that somehow the consciousness of Neo's matrix abilities has been able to cross over and manifest in his true body, much in the way that smith manages ("set him free" etc). I could be wrong though. THe matrix within a matrix idea also seems plausible :) ..

O

old.Xarr

I fucking loved this movie as well. The mediocre reviews this movie has recieved really annoys me. It seems the reviewer has only been paying attention during the highway chase scene or something. This movie has so much thought provoking material it's insane. Now... discussion:

One thing that's been bugging me ever since the first movie is Agent Smith. It's very obvious even in the first movie that he's not like the other Agents at all. In the scene (from M1) where he is interrogating Morpheus he pops out his ear-piece and really freaks out. In Reloaded he's no longer an Agent, but he's neither an exile (like Merovingian, Persephone etc). This leads me to believe that he's some sort of anomoly like Neo. Something happened when Neo 'freed' him from the Matrix. It doesn't really seem like the Architect or any of the Agents know what's going on with him either.

If you remember how Smith describes the humans as a virus in the first movie, you can see some resemblence to Smith and a virus in Reloaded. He copies himself like a virus does and he has no real function within the Matrix anymore. Very similar to a virus.

If you have seen the Revolutions trailer following the end credits of Reloaded or the one when you finish 'Enter the Matrix' you can see that Agent Smith has multiplied insanely much more and there's an army of Smiths. There's also one part in one of the trailers where Morpheus says 'He's fighting for us' in a very, very surprised voice. What this means I'm not sure of since it's impossible to determine who's he talking about. It's interesting to think about though.

O

old.Xarr

That was a very Smith intensive post by the way. I've got a very cool article by Ken Mondschein of Corporate Mofo with some very interesting theories. Check it out.

I

inuyasha

I belive in the matrix within the matrix even in real world (belived so since before matrix1, dont worry, im not influenced too much), so i obvious belive it in here as well. I also belive that "love" is a flaw in the matrix (only in movie) and will have a essential role in matrix3. What role, i am not sure, but love ruined the last matrix (the one in matrix1) by making a dead return to life, "the impossible" that agent smith talk of. The fact that he can feel the robots also in the current world, and can defeat them without force, should prove that they are in a matrix, or he can use magic, which is not much likely in a technologicly based movie.

My guess is that hes coma in the end would include a awakening of yet another level of the matrix, so he now can choose between three levels, or that he can now move hes mind freely between the two that is already opened.

And cept that, matrix2 owned most or all other movies, and generally rocks..

and to all suckers out there, the end was good!!

N

Novamir

the end was ok...just made me crave more! i could have sat there for a whole 3 more hours =P

N

Novamir

Originally posted by old.Xarr
I fucking loved this movie as well. The mediocre reviews this movie has recieved really annoys me. It seems the reviewer has only been paying attention during the highway chase scene or something. This movie has so much thought provoking material it's insane. Now... discussion:

One thing that's been bugging me ever since the first movie is Agent Smith. It's very obvious even in the first movie that he's not like the other Agents at all. In the scene (from M1) where he is interrogating Morpheus he pops out his ear-piece and really freaks out. In Reloaded he's no longer an Agent, but he's neither an exile (like Merovingian, Persephone etc). This leads me to believe that he's some sort of anomoly like Neo. Something happened when Neo 'freed' him from the Matrix. It doesn't really seem like the Architect or any of the Agents know what's going on with him either.

If you remember how Smith describes the humans as a virus in the first movie, you can see some resemblence to Smith and a virus in Reloaded. He copies himself like a virus does and he has no real function within the Matrix anymore. Very similar to a virus.

If you have seen the Revolutions trailer following the end credits of Reloaded or the one when you finish 'Enter the Matrix' you can see that Agent Smith has multiplied insanely much more and there's an army of Smiths. There's also one part in one of the trailers where Morpheus says 'He's fighting for us' in a very, very surprised voice. What this means I'm not sure of since it's impossible to determine who's he talking about. It's interesting to think about though.

smith was a very intreguing part. also interesting was the roles of oracle/architect and how they tie together. and the freelancers who had the keymaker.

just before he pwns the sentinels, neo says: 'somethings different, I can feel them' - i think that's a crucial line. is it that something's different with him, or with his surroundings? ie- is this a new matrix or did neo's powers "cross over"..

I

inuyasha

Originally posted by Novamir
just before he pwns the sentinels, neo says: 'somethings different, I can feel them' - i think that's a crucial line. is it that something's different with him, or with his surroundings? ie- is this a new matrix or did neo's powers "cross over"..

i think he is starting to belive =)
Oh, and i doubt you will ever see a "real world" in the matrix movies ^_^

and for better understanding, see eXistenZ as well.

I

inuyasha

most important...

matrix is a damn lot better game then daoc!

I

inuyasha

Originally posted by Novamir
i saw existenz, and it sucked =(

I have seen it 9 times, every time i have have understand something new about the film :great:
its not sucky, its advanced =)

N

Novamir

well, i didn't see anything advanced in it at all :(

O

old.Xarr

One explanation to Neo owning the sentinels up is the 'matrix-within-matrix' theory. That he somehow realized or was forced to realize that 'something was different'. This would mean that there's a matrix for the 'world' and one for 'zion' or something. And the part with Neo going into a coma means he woke up in the real, real world. I think this theory is a little bit weird, because then everything we've been lead to believe so far is bollocks and what's to stop it from being yet another matrix within the second matrix and so on.

I believe either Neo was in some state where he was between the matrix and the real world. This can explain how he destroyed the sentinels.

Another theory is that Neo is somehow connected to Smith. I think Smith mentions something along these lines in the movie, but I'm not sure. Anyways if they are somehow connected it could explain Neo's sudden power over the machines in the real world.

J

Jonaldo

Only wish they would make a movie of a top quality cyberpunk story like Neuromancer. Was so glad when I heard Joel Silver had bought the rights to Altered Carbon with the backing of Warner Bros.

Remember... it's just a film :p

I'll see it when we get a pirate dvd of it or it comes on Sky, not gonna spend any money on it.

I

inuyasha

Neo and smith is connected only in the fact that they are now both fighting the system, and is not a part of it. (imo)

Why he could stop the sentinels is either case there is more then 1 matrix, or case he have special forces in the real world as well, or it proves to be a mechanical error on the sentinels that they are not programmed to kill neo, and thus deleted themselves, just to trick us to belive a lot of things that is not true.

I

inuyasha

Originally posted by Omniscieous
Only wish they would make a movie of a top quality cyberpunk story like Neuromancer. Was so glad when I heard Joel Silver had bought the rights to Altered Carbon with the backing of Warner Bros.

I'll see it when we get a pirate dvd of it or it comes on Sky, not gonna spend any money on it.

why not spend money on it? Cinema > dvd =)

O

old.Xarr

This post is not real.

Go get Reloaded at once.

:p

O

old.Xarr

Here is Warner Bros' boards. Alot of interesting topics can be found there regarding Reloaded. The link I posted earlier in this thread though is absolutely worth checking out.

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by inuyasha
why not spend money on it? Cinema > dvd =)

and?

money spent on watching average film < money not spent on watching average film.

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by old.Xarr
Here is Warner Bros' boards. Alot of interesting topics can be found there regarding Reloaded. The link I posted earlier in this thread though is absolutely worth checking out.

Managed to read (cringe) through some of the posts.. can't help thinking that everyone trying to make something out of this movie is some distant relation to the 'comic book guy' from The Simpsons :D

comicbookguy1.gif

S

SFXman

Some nice theories here already...
This just proves how much depth the Trilogy has.
Oh yeah and the Ken Mondschein article seems excellent... must read through it completely sometime today.
There were some hilarious parts in it too,
"Will Neo wake up and say, "Bill, dude, you won't believe this bitchin' dream I just had. . ."?" :)
"The fact that The One comes from the machine world is a brilliant way to write around the fact that Keanu Reeves can't act."
Hehe.
Omniscieous is obviously on a mission to crush anyone who actually begins to think about the whole idea BEHIND the movies...
He still can't understand that we are taking it as just a movie, but this movie has a lot more depth than many many other movies.
I guess some people are just unable to grasp the more complicated aspects of a film :rolleyes:

S

saltymcpepper

Are you sure neo pwned the sentinals, or maybe that it was the emp blast from when bane made 5 ships set of theirs too early.

In the game the oracle says to niobe that neo is trapped in a world between the matrix and the real world, so this is prolly why he said somethings different.

Just some ideas :D

S

SFXman

Ah, excellent input there salty. Didn't remember the oracle saying so...
That would make a lot of sense, that he is stuck in between the two.

S

saltymcpepper

I think its on niobes missions somewhere near the end.
Her and the oracle spend a few min talking about why she looks different (gloria foster died) and the oracle says because she pissed off french guy (cba to find out how you spell his name) so he punished her.

ill look in a sec and see what they say

I

inuyasha

and?

money spent on watching average film < money not spent on watching average film.

it take an hour to earn up for matrix2 + popcorn :p
its worth it, end of story

and matrix2 is NOT an avrage movie!

I

inuyasha

that emp-stopped-teh-sentienels was a good theory, would easily be made to not change the story and still make us confused/think. Would not explain why he felt "something different" though, but i dunno...

at least, im going to see the last part as well! lol! :D

T

The Fonz

Taken from WB forum...

That is a good theory on pi. I just want to add that the time that the door to the architects room is open is 314 seconds, or the first three digits of pi. That was the only reason me and my friends could figure out for the number, found independently of this board, so it might fit.

This guy has friends??!!??

R

Restart

This is the best theory imo from WB Forum:

Keymaker: shut down power to 27 square blocks - 27 is of course 3 x 3 x 3, or 3^3.
Keymaker: the door will be open for 314 seconds - 314 are the first 3 digits of PI - 3.14159265.…
Architect: you will choose 23 people to repopulate Zion - 23 is a prime number.
If you assume that Neo would also be included, for a total of 24, 24 = 2^3 x 3.

G

Glacier

Originally posted by Restart
This is the best theory imo from WB Forum:

Keymaker: shut down power to 27 square blocks - 27 is of course 3 x 3 x 3, or 3^3.
Keymaker: the door will be open for 314 seconds - 314 are the first 3 digits of PI - 3.14159265.…
Architect: you will choose 23 people to repopulate Zion - 23 is a prime number.
If you assume that Neo would also be included, for a total of 24, 24 = 2^3 x 3.

:scared::scared::scared:

S

SFXman

Wow... hehe...
The Wachowski brothers were right when they said there are just too many small things in the movie to notice.

P

- Pathfinder -

I'm amazed that people buy into the rather poor storyline and weak attempts at exploiting proper philosophy :m00:

Still worth seeing for the actual action, given the poor quality of recent releases oO

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom