Master and Commander.

A

adams901

I enjoyed this film, thought it was worth the money.

Having just been reading through the IMDB reviews I had to laugh at this one.

Larry Mendonca
Toronto, ON

Date: 23 November 2003
Summary: This one is real bad...

I tried to take this movie from all points of view. It wasn't an epic with a great storyline, and you must think that if there's no storyline than it must be just pure action...nope! The movie dragged on and on...the basis was so dull and boring. We dont even get to see the enemy! It's partly a movie on the findings of natural wildlife in the beginning of the 19th Century. Save your money and go watch something else. I was dragged to this one by my English country-boy friend, yee-haw, and he even said it sucked.

Oh yeah, its too pro-English, alot of propaganda!

lol @ the american complaining that the film was pro english, bit of a cheek really considering that 99% of the stuff to come from hollywood is pro america save the world again propaganda.

L

leggy

lol @ yee-ha tbpfh.

What a total clown shoe. I have to say that I have changed my mind about this film and might watch it. Seen another trailer at the weekend and it did look alot better.

T

Tom

Just been to see it. It could have done with a bit more work on the script, you don't really get to know why Crowe becomes obsessed with catching the French vessel. The stuff with the children was the best bit, amazing to think that part was actually quite accurate, historically.

A

adams901

*** May contain spoilers****

I agree, one of the actors that stood out for me was Max Pirkis who played Midshipman Blakeney, considering he is only 13 and this is his first acting role (no adverts or TV series) I think he did an excellent job. Especially when he had his arm cut off.

One of the other things that stands in my mind is the start of the firstbattle scene, when Russell Crow is looking through his spyglass and he suddenly sees the fog light up, at first it looked like lightening, then you hear him scream for everyone to get down and watch the ship get ripped apart. It Makes everyone realise that its not the glamorous adventure everyone thinks it was, and such graphic representation at how violent that period was certainly got people talking about it after the show had ended.

L

leggy

Originally posted by 1tchy trigger
lmao

I assume you have also heard this from another reliable source?

In the form of a web geek... sorry, ninja.

X

xane

Throddy,

I just finished Master and Commander, and right at the end of the book, Aubery is captured by the French and being held on a French ship, here is a exerpt

"Well" said Captain Palliere, "let it not spoil out breakfast, at all events"
"Signal from the Admiral, sir", said a lieutenant, "Warp in as close as possible to the batteries"
"Acknowledge and make it so, Dumanoir", said the captain.

I can't help think about Star Trek (TNG).

T

throdgrain

Ive not seen the film yet, but it makes me shudder a bit in a way.
To a OBrian anorak like me i cant help thinking every time i see a clip, my god he'd never speak to him like that ....
Im not sure Aubrey would tell people to take cover either, certainly his job was to stand there like a target and not move in a hurried fashion at all :(
I guess you've just got to treat the two things separately, the books will still be there long after the film has gone, and Crows face will be gone from the covers :)

Xane - blasphemy !

1tchy trigger

Do they emit a highly charged tachion bean from the modified forward deflector array? That's what I'd do.

L

leggy

Originally posted by 1tchy trigger
Do they emit a highly charged tachion bean from the modified forward deflector array? That's what I'd do.

Is that in the same family as kidney and butter beans?

T

Twaize

Re: Re: Re: Master and Commander.

Originally posted by L_Plates
Wel cmon we know thw yanks changed everything in films to suit them, Look at U571 it was british sub and they made it out to be american so they got the glory. W******S

WTF? Fecking americans...

T

throdgrain

Finally went to see this film yesterday :)
Whilst I could see little in common with any particular book as far as the plot line went, theres no doubt it was a very enjoyable film.
I thought Russell Crow was very good in it too, Id definately reccommend it to anyone :)

O

old.Gombur Glodson

I thought it was a terrific film.
Though I don't understand why the trailer so edited to strangely :eek6:
It was a real "cinema" movie in my opinion and a nice story.
Also I quite enjoyed the scenes with the play sessions :)

I'll give it 9/10

L

leggy

Aye, shockingly this is a really good film. Well worth a trip to the cinema imho. I enjoyed it more than rotk, but then I had a sore arse in rotk.

T

Tom

Its very nice to see a film that isn't polluted with music. At some points I really felt I was back in the 18th century.

Users who are viewing this thread