Master and Commander.

T

throdgrain

No one has mentioned this film, or indeed the acclaimed books its based on in the books forum, so I thought Id see if anyone had any opinions on it.
Ive not seen it yet, but probably will go to see it as the original series of books by Patrick Obrian are probably my favourite books of all time.
According to the news on telly the film is suprising in that its a Hollywood film where the hero has remained English and the plot follows that of the book.
However, the blurb describes the film as Master and Commander - The Far Side Of The World, a tale of Captain Aubrey and his beloved ship HMS Suprise.
Unfortunately Master and Commander is the first novel, and The Far Side Of The World is the 5th or 6th novel, and he doesnt get HMS Suprise until the 4th novel anyway, so I dont hold out too much hope :(
Never mind, I suppose I might be pleasantly suprised. Though I know a lot of people thought Gladiator was a good film, and I thought it was tosh .

D

DaGaffer

Originally posted by throdgrain
No one has mentioned this film, or indeed the acclaimed books its based on in the books forum, so I thought Id see if anyone had any opinions on it.
Ive not seen it yet, but probably will go to see it as the original series of books by Patrick Obrian are probably my favourite books of all time.
According to the news on telly the film is suprising in that its a Hollywood film where the hero has remained English and the plot follows that of the book.
However, the blurb describes the film as Master and Commander - The Far Side Of The World, a tale of Captain Aubrey and his beloved ship HMS Suprise.
Unfortunately Master and Commander is the first novel, and The Far Side Of The World is the 5th or 6th novel, and he doesnt get HMS Suprise until the 4th novel anyway, so I dont hold out too much hope :(
Never mind, I suppose I might be pleasantly suprised. Though I know a lot of people thought Gladiator was a good film, and I thought it was tosh .

Well it hasn't exactly stayed true to the plot of "The Far Side of World" since the enemy in that book was actually the Americans! They've changed it to the cheese-eating-surrender-monkeys for the film. Still looking forward to it though.

T

throdgrain

But , but, its called the name of two books ? Apparently hes fighting a far more powerful ship, which makes me think of the plot of M & C, where he beats the ship Cacafuego in a 20 gun sloop, the Sophie. An exploit originally done by Lord Cochrane in real life btw :)
Im probably a bit touchy about it :)

S

Summo

The trailer for this strikes me as a pretty run-of-the mill period action piece, where Russell Crowe can indulge a little fantasy for playing an early 19th Century ship's captain.

I'll give it a miss, I think.

L

L_Plates

Re: Re: Master and Commander.

Originally posted by DaGaffer
Well it hasn't exactly stayed true to the plot of "The Far Side of World" since the enemy in that book was actually the Americans! They've changed it to the cheese-eating-surrender-monkeys for the film. Still looking forward to it though.

Wel cmon we know thw yanks changed everything in films to suit them, Look at U571 it was british sub and they made it out to be american so they got the glory. W******S

X

xane

Just this minute went out and bought the first O'Brien book, as I'm becoming quite keen on historical novels. Having been brought up on the dire James Clavell 's Shogun and its sequals, kind of put me off for a while.

According to the cover blurb, there's 20 books in the series and The Far Side of the World is number 10.

I didn't particularly like Gladiator either, I was unimpressed by the fight sequences, though great, were no numerous enough or long enough, and the basic story was the usual hollywood drivel, it was almost as bad as The Shawshank Redemption.

T

throdgrain

You just bought the first one ? Damn Im jealous :)
To my mind they are the best books Ive read, not just from a adventure point of view - if you're looking for a Sharpe type read you're going to be disappointed - but from an examination of human relationships , and all written with an accuracy that makes you think they are contempary books, instead of 20th century.
I bought all 20 of them, and have read them all 2 or 3 times :)

D

DaGaffer

Re: Re: Re: Master and Commander.

Originally posted by L_Plates
Wel cmon we know thw yanks changed everything in films to suit them, Look at U571 it was british sub and they made it out to be american so they got the glory. W******S

You mean a British ship. I know the Americans change everything, although to be honest, in this case you could see how the Americans being cast as the enemy wouldn't really help the film's chances...:rolleyes:

Could be worse, at least Mel Gibson isn't directing; in his version the hero would be American and the British would all be baby-eating sharks with lasers on their heads. Or something.

X

xane

Originally posted by throdgrain
Dont gimme that :p bollocks :)

Please note I did refrain from putting a :p after the phrase "it was almost as bad as The Shawshank Redemption."

Do I get a prize ?

M

Munkey-

only historical novels i've read are Bernard Cornwalls sharpe series, and trafalgar was fascinating. I'll have a look for those books. The trailer looked quite interesting until it got to Crowe telling some younger officer how to command respect, then i just thought "cliche". I'll still go see it anyway, naval stuff is always rather quite exciting

T

throdgrain

The Sharpe books are alright Munkey, ive read lots of them.
But they are nothing, a drop of nowt, compared to OBrians stuff.
Imo, again :)

M

Munkey-

Ta for the heads up, i'll have a look for them.

T

throdgrain

I still dont get what book its supposed to be about :(

L

leggy

It won't be just one. They will have bastardised the story enough to incorporate several books.

T

throdgrain

Thats what im afraid of . Somehow when you're very fond of a book it becomes your own, in your head somehow.
Making it into a film somehow seems to put it into the public domain, if that makes any sense at all :)

L

leggy

It makes perfect sense. Whether it's a good film or not it will never live up to the story as it is in your mind.

I'll personally be giving it a miss.

Y

Yoni

With Russell Crow in the lead Ill be giving it a miss

T

Tom

What's your objection there? He's an excellent actor.

T

Tom

Have you seen him in LA Confidential, The Insider, A Brilliant Mind?

S

scooby-doo

good actor maybe,but as a person he's an utter prick inmho.

T

Trem

I agree with Scooblar there, although he was absolutely faultless in The Insider, even when he fell down the grass verge it was perfect.

L

leggy

Originally posted by Tom
Have you seen him in LA Confidential, The Insider, A Brilliant Mind?

He was ok in LA confidential. The insider was overrated pish and so was russell. A brilliant mind? are you serious?

T

Tom

This is one of those occasions where everybody who disagrees with me deserves a slap. :D

L

leggy

I always deserve a slap.

On the bum this time pls.

T

throdgrain

I think they should have had Russel Grant in the film instead of Russel Crow.

Users who are viewing this thread