Mark Jacobs Announces Two New Classes

Gahn

Resident Freddy
That's not the point. I am sure the end game open pvp is good but I am damned if I am going to spend weeks and weeks grinding over and over again in the hope that it is really that good the game is so geared towards instanced pvp that I really can't see it being any different at level 40. Level up in scenarios? God no, they are the definition of tedium.

The WoW expansion is a means to progress our raiding as a team, having cleared up to SWP which is the reason I play WoW, not for the PvP, its dogshit, I can't stand instanced scenarios (as mentioned previously) There are no pre-reqs for dungeons in the new expansion, just a challenge and gear progression. There is also a PvP zone with Blizzard talking about revamping the PvP system in an attempt to move away from instances into open world PvP, how this pans out is anyone's guess though. and who the hell farms gold anyway? you can make a couple of thousand gold in a days farming, that personally keeps me in raid materials and repairs for weeks.

Influence isnt a problem, you can cap a chapter in less than an hour and move on (they have that aspect down pretty well) its the actual exp grinding, its so bloody dull, the zones are drab and boring the mobs uninteresting, bugged and the story doesn't seem to fit, where is the lore? Sure you can read the tome but what's the point? I want to interact with the story not be told "you have met Mr NPC" then have to open up my tome to read about him, if I wanted that I would google it.

Uhm i had 4096 xp from 1 oRvR solo kill yday .. tbh :ninja:

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
sorry i have to agree wow is boring only managed to get my palladin to 63 before i worked out that the game is essentially cut and paste from level 1 to level 70 with eye candy.

People who just see the mythical level 40 as the end game are a bit deluded there is a lot to do WHILE you are getting to 40 ok so keep raids and open rvr may not return more exp and rps as a scenario but its a hell of a lot more fun.

(although keeps need to be tweaked slightly)

if you just want to rush into end game level 40 rvr and find there is noone else there then what do you expect i suspect that the majority of players are still around the level 20+ mark from rerolls or just enjoying the game.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
about the big war thing..

well, i must still see my first epic keep battle, sofar its only been scenario scenario scenario scenario, PQgrinds and more scenarios,

empty keep zones.
boring quests (duh)

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
about the big war thing..

well, i must still see my first epic keep battle, sofar its only been scenario scenario scenario scenario, PQgrinds and more scenarios,

empty keep zones.
boring quests (duh)

Ahh yes - the epic keep and relic battles also happened each day/week in daoc right off game launch. It wasn't Milegate and TK camping an mass for a long time at all.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Ahh yes - the epic keep and relic battles also happened each day/week in daoc right off game launch. It wasn't Milegate and TK camping an mass for a long time at all.

have i said anything about what i think there is gooing to happen?

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
Level up in scenarios? God no, they are the definition of tedium.

this coming from a guy that raids in wow? i agree wow has had a lot of time and effort gone into it, the zones are awesome with great lore behind it etc, but it IS only a disguise, you got to lvl 60.. spent countless hours every week farming gold/items so you can go on to spend more time raiding the same bosses over and over.. but for what? you spend months raiding and once you got the great items, the next expansions out and you're back lvling and doing the same again.. i guess people wan different things from games..

i don't want a fake illusion of character development, i want to login, play, have fun.. people only remember the best from daoc, it has bullshit pve when it was released, it never really had great pve... also the countless hours you could log in and not be able to do any pvp at all unless you have a good setup group logged in.. the ridiculous op'dness of some classes etc.. daoc was amazing but it was clearly a time when everyone on the forum was a good few years younger.. so spending all day playing was the norm. i for one can't do that anymore, so for me war is better in so many ways.. it's a great casual pvp game- the difference from wow is, wars updates will be centered around PVP.. whereas in wow you have literally nothing to look forward to if you don't raid.

rant off

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
WTB fix on rvr rather than adding more and more content causing more and more problems :l

Ahlgard

Loyal Freddie
...There is also a PvP zone with Blizzard talking about revamping the PvP system in an attempt to move away from instances into open world PvP, how this pans out is anyone's guess though...

The Last time Blizzard spoke of their upcoming open-world pvp we got two super small towers in Eastern Plaugelands. Wasnt that amazing?

Leel

Fledgling Freddie
The Last time Blizzard spoke of their upcoming open-world pvp we got two super small towers in Eastern Plaugelands. Wasnt that amazing?

Well, four towers actually, and some silly silithus dust gathering in silithus. Then they brought that idea further with bringing in some pvp objectives into the new outland zones with that expansion. Still, it's not even close to what daoc or war is about.

And of course, hardly a coincidence that toa was released about the time that wow was released. Daoc tried to do what wow was doing, but instead failed miserably, since the games cater for largely different user bases. Each game trying to assimilate into them aspects from other games is not a good thing imo. Instead they should focus on what they are good at, and continue to develop that aspect of the game. Which means pve for wow and rvr for warhammer. Don't go into the trap of being jack of all trades, master of none.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
And of course, hardly a coincidence that toa was released about the time that wow was released. Daoc tried to do what wow was doing, but instead failed miserably, since the games cater for largely different user bases. Each game trying to assimilate into them aspects from other games is not a good thing imo. Instead they should focus on what they are good at, and continue to develop that aspect of the game. Which means pve for wow and rvr for warhammer. Don't go into the trap of being jack of all trades, master of none.

TOA was released a long time before WoW.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Yeah, ToA released October 28, 2003 according to Wikipedia and WoW on November 23, 2004

So hardly "about the time" :D

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie

Can't a game have both great rvr and pve?

Remember the VAST majority of mmorpg gamers spend most of their time in pve, not pvp. PvP only mmorpg's never succeed like PvE ones (Planetside for example).

I like the WAR pve so far, lots of quests, although they are admittedly the usual cookie-cutter quests, most have an interesting storyline and some of the after-quest stories and effects are great. Also the tome unlocks are great, nothing like exploring a newbie zone, going where others never go and finding something really interesting like a lair or a level 40 hero mob :)

PQ's are great things to mess around with between pvp or scenario sessions, it's easy to do and you can find groups easily for almost anything without realy having to look. Also warbands mean that there's no issue with group sizes.

Personally i think WAR is the first game to provide both in equal portions but i'm looking at how they develop both. If they don't put time and effort into both aspects of their game it'll probably flop eventually.

Ahlgard

Loyal Freddie
Yeah. Im a bit tired of people saying WoW has this amazing PvE. Whats so special about collecting 30 paws, 20 furs and kill named mobs for 70 levels? I even have more fun pve'ing in WAR because of the PQ's. I guess WoW's dungeons beats WAR's but i never was a fan of doing dungeons over and over again to get some purple gear. Thats a complete waste of time imho.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I don't do it for the loot either, as said before I do it for the team work and the social aspect of being part of a raid team.

As for the quests, yeah they are pretty dull but then which game does not have dull quests? WAR's quests are all kill x amount of whatever, deliver a box of turds etc but at least in WoW the location of the grind is more interesting. As for the pvp in WAR its all sodding scenarios, exactly the same as WoW. I just ended up bored stupid of bothering to find action in the tiny "frontiers" because everyone was hanging about the warcamps in scenario queues.

The point is there is absolutely no need for WARs tedious pve grind because it has absolutely no meaning to the end game, you don't participate in the story you just get drip fed tome entries as you move about. There is very little going on in the zones that reflect any lore, or at least help explain any of the lore. Even the public quests are kill X amount of them then when you are done kill Y amount of these.

It should not have such a long grind to get to the real game, not when the long grind is utterly meaningless, aside from a test of faith.

Blizzard as a company are better too, obviously they have a much bigger purse but they put on special events, such as the current zombie invasion. people are catching an in game virus which they can pass onto other players from both factions and also NPCs who then turn too, if they are not cured within 10 minutes they turn into a zombie with related abilities. its a huge amount of fun, like a zombie horror film but in an MMO.

Can you imagine the barrel of cock ups if goa tried something like that? they can't even patch properly.

Ahlgard

Loyal Freddie
As for the pvp in WAR its all sodding scenarios, exactly the same as WoW. I just ended up bored stupid of bothering to find action in the tiny "frontiers" because everyone was hanging about the warcamps in scenario queues.

Whatever ppl say or believe at the time being i can assure you that Open World RvR is the future of this MMO. The thrill of PvP is what makes me enjoy an online game, not the thrill of beating a scripted boss and get a purple item for it. But if you dont want RvR, feel free to crawl back to the dungeon you came from ;)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Whatever ppl say or believe at the time being i can assure you that Open World RvR is the future of this MMO. The thrill of PvP is what makes me enjoy an online game, not the thrill of beating a scripted boss and get a purple item for it. But if you dont want RvR, feel free to crawl back to the dungeon you came from ;)

I RvR'ed for 7 years, eventually becoming one of the highest ranked of my class on my server don't tell me what I like and dislike :p

What I said was I do not like scenario PvP as it is not real, its just ready, set, go, win lose then portal back to somewhere that has nothing to do with the instance, it feels detached and has no point to it except farming RP. I want outside PvP with proper unscripted fights. Maybe its just my server Karak Hirn but nobody ever goes into the frontiers its dull, you can walk around for hours and all you find is mongs who sprint away from you when you smack them about a bit.

Sure the pvp is dire in WoW I have never not agreed with that statement but then so is the pvp in war because at the end of the day its the same as WoW, scenario, scenario, scenario, zzzzz. Though in WoW you have decent end game pve, I have always been a fan of both PvE and PvP, at least I get one of them in WoW.

Ahlgard

Loyal Freddie
I want outside PvP with proper unscripted fights. Maybe its just my server Karak Hirn but nobody ever goes into the frontiers its dull, you can walk around for hours and all you find is mongs who sprint away from you when you smack them about a bit.
t..

Yeah, i can understand that WAR feels a bit dull if there is no Open RvR around. Scenarios can be fun, especially if you run a nice set grp but it gets repedetive after a while. Since i played closed Beta and experienced some amazing open world RvR i dont mind a bit of exping and grinding just to get there. If you havent experienced that however, i understand that some players dont feel that extremely excited over WAR yet.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I want outside PvP with proper unscripted fights. Maybe its just my server Karak Hirn but nobody ever goes into the frontiers its dull, you can walk around for hours and all you find is mongs who sprint away from you when you smack them about a bit.

Quick solution to achieve this would be capping scenarios to level 8, 18, 28, 38 in the respective tiers.

Mythic always was awesome at fragmenting the player base or forcing it into one place, no one in all the frontier zones bar HW, Odin's, Emain or now in Warhammer in 4 scenarios out of over a dozen.

I can't believe MJ even considered a scenario-less server for Warhammer.

Belsameth

Tainted
I would actually enjoy a scenario free server tbh. Open world RvR is a lot more dynamic and a lot more fun.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
I would actually enjoy a scenario free server tbh. Open world RvR is a lot more dynamic and a lot more fun.

It's an interesting idea and there might be enough hardcore pvpers around to make it work, but a lot of players like the scenarios and that they can pvp casually instead of going open world pvp and spending long periods of time searching for enemies to kill.

Scenarios may be boring to some, but at least you are fighting even numbers and not (as usually happens in open world pvp) at a 3:1 disadvantage if your unlucky enough to be playing order :(

Loneliness

Loyal Freddie
Quick solution to achieve this would be capping scenarios to level 8, 18, 28, 38 in the respective tiers.

Mythic always was awesome at fragmenting the player base or forcing it into one place, no one in all the frontier zones bar HW, Odin's, Emain or now in Warhammer in 4 scenarios out of over a dozen.

I can't believe MJ even considered a scenario-less server for Warhammer.

:iagree:

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sure the pvp is dire in WoW I have never not agreed with that statement but then so is the pvp in war because at the end of the day its the same as WoW, scenario, scenario, scenario, zzzzz. Though in WoW you have decent end game pve, I have always been a fan of both PvE and PvP, at least I get one of them in WoW.

I spent over 3 hours solidly fighting in open PvP last night over a single keeptake... plenty of players and loads of ebb and flow... maybe you need to roll a toon on Karak Hirn?

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I spent over 3 hours solidly fighting in open PvP last night over a single keeptake... plenty of players and loads of ebb and flow... maybe you need to roll a toon on Karak Hirn?

FOTM-rerolling was oh so popular with DAoC already... :twak:

Marc

FH is my second home
I think as more and more people start hitting level 40, T4 scenario's should be capped at lvl 38 or 39, prompting more open world PvP.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Yes, I would like scens capped at 38/39. Although instead of adding things to do at 40, it takes things away. I see a lot of people complaining about that.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Why caring about end game only? What about players in tier 1-3 visiting empty open RvR zones?

Capping has to be a global solution imho (8/18/28/38).

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
FOTM-rerolling was oh so popular with DAoC already... :twak:

Oh do fuck off Manisch... all I said was to roll a toon on my server where this action was happening... nothing about what fucking class to roll, so stop being such a troll you laboriously boring.... grrr......

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom