Manually installing joystick in vista?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
so i decided to install decent freespace 2 again and remembered that i needed a joystick.. so out came the old wingman extreme (non USB version). plugged it in and went looking for the Game controller icon in control panel, found that but aparently i cant manually install it and the OS is to fucking stupid to detect it.

tried searching for drivers for it but all i can find are the digital ones that aparently only works with the USB version of that joystick.

so am i forced to buy a new one or are there ways to install it anyway?

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
You'll probably have to buy a new one, the saitek cyborgs are quite good.

I was tempted to get freespace2 from gog and play it again myself, but I've got so many games to play that are coming out in the next few weeks!

Kryten

Old Cow.
Will confirm, vista has *no* support for legacy game controllers, even ones with USB adapters as they are only USB by physical connection, not controller.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Oh.. that's interesting :\. So my ageing MS force feedback wheel that's been gathering dust until I decided to get a game-controller to USB port is never going to work?

Kryten

Old Cow.
Nath : quite correct, the very reason I had to replace my also aging (similar period to yours) logitech wingman formula force - cracking wheel, had USB connection but it was serial natively, unsupported :( Shame tbh as old does not necessary mean crap, but then again I've not looked back from going up to a 900 degree racing wheel :D

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah I'd love to get that new logitech badboy but I can't really justify the expense given how rarely I play racing games. Also, with my computer/lcd/desk layout it's always a little awkward getting the wheel set up comfortably.

That said, I'd love to play GTR2 with a logitech DFP (or whatever the current equivalent is). Epic stuff.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Aye, it's the DFP I bought. The official receivers might not have looked too nice on me buying a G25 as much as I wanted it :D Found the DFP refurbished for 30 quid :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Oo you jammy bastard. Where did you find that and is there more where that came from and does it work perfectly on vista and have you tried GTR1/2 with it and how awesometastic is it with it?

Kryten

Old Cow.
Not actually tried any of the GTR games yet as I cant find my GTR disc :/

Play often with rFactor, GRiD and Grand Prix 4 though and it's rather excellent with all of them. I'll dive into my ebay account and see if I can't get a seller name.

Ah, here we go : Trusted_Goods:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZtrusted_goods

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Man, I started eyeing up that G25 last night. It looks sooooo good. £150 though :\

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Ah yes, that old chestnut. That's fucking filth right there :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Man, I started eyeing up that G25 last night. It looks sooooo good. £150 though :\

its better then good :) a mate of mine has one and if i ever buy a wheel to my PC its gonna be a G25.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom