Help mail woes

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
greetings fellow nerds, I have a strange problem:

I recently configured a postfix with sasl and ssl and stuff that serves mail to two users that connect with thunderbird to postfix and dovecot.

the users are configured to use SSL and secure auth. both users are configured identically, and both users use an identically configured thunderbird (SSL+secure auth).

when one user connects to send mail all is well, but when the other does I get a pop-up from thunderbird telling me that the server doesn't accpet secure authentication.

strange, as both users are on my local machine at home, and both connect to the same email server.

any ideas?

Ovron

One of Freddy's beloved
Check with postconf if

smtpd_sasl_type=dovecot
smtpd_sasl_path=private/auth
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes

mynetworks=x.x.x.0/24
smtpd_recipient_restrictions=permit_mynetworks,permit_sasl_authenticated,reject_unauth_destination

smtpd_use_tls=yes
smtpd_tls_auth_only=yes
smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt
smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes

and in dovecot.conf:

disable_plaintext_auth = yes

---

I know this doesn't really explain why it works for one of the users, and not for the other, but double check. Since postfix (and its supporting systems) does not really care about users - as long as a subsystem authenticates them - it would lead to it being a wrongly configured client. Check port settings etc on the client.

Post your configuration files if you want, but doubt that would help. As mentioned, postfix doesn't distinguish between users.

Good luck ;o.

/Ovron

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Check your Thunderbird configuration in the "server settings" area for that particular server. Make sure "Use secure authentication" isn't enabled - unless you've got plaintext passwords on the server and postfix/dovecot can use a different authentication mechanism.

If that isn't it - post the relevant sections of your postfix config file, dovecot config file, as well as the logs for the authentication which is failing.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
cheers fellas, don't know why it's working but it is now. I just rewrote all the conf files and all seems to be fine o0

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom