Mah PC needs new brains

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
OK, I've got a AMD FX-4350 4-Core Processor (125W, AM3+, 12MB Cache, 4300MHz) on an ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 Motherboard. I'd like to replace the cpu with something faster, not something that runs hot, as I like peace and quiet in my declining years.
The only game played on this machine is Elite Dangerous, it runs just spinky, but I'd like to max everything out. Also boot speeds in Win10 are not all that quick.
I'll be replacing my GPU in a month or so before you boffins tell me that would be best :bootyshake:
I'm doing this first as I'm replacing the cooler, one job and all that....

Ta muchly.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Ryzen 1600x is best perf/$ right now.
£180.

New stuff runs a billion degrees cooler than old stuff.

Syri

FH is my second home
The problem with keeping the same motherboard is that you can only get another CPU that uses the same architecture, so you'll maybe get something a little faster, but unless you went with the absolute bottom end CPU at the time (don't think that one is, I'm not that familiar with AMD's range) you're not going to be looking at a really noticeable boost, especially in gaming where most are GPU heavy.
Another thing to look into is whether your motherboard can recognise the newer CPU ranges, just because it's got the same socket doesn't mean the BIOS will pick a newer one up, you might need to do a BIOS upgrade first, and there might not be one for that board that will add the necessary support.
There's a range of CPUs on scan that use AM3+, seems most have the same clock as yours though, just 8 cores instead of 4. Most of them seem to have the same wattage as well, though a few are 95w, not a huge drop, so they'll probably run around the same temperatures. You can see the whole list at this link.
I hope that is some help. Personally, I'd try to go for a new MB (and RAM as you'd probably need to go to DDR4) to go onto a newer CPU generation, rather than stick with the existing platform, if the CPU really does need to go. I know it's a bigger budget to do that, but I think you'd also get a much more noticeable boost in speed compared to sticking with AM3+. If you can't afford that though, make sure you can upgrade the BIOS on your motherboard to support one of the newer AM3+ CPUs, and obviously do the BIOS upgrade before taking your current CPU out.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person

More stuff

Thanks for the infos.
So based on that there's a change of plan.
I'll pitch that idea until next year because I really can't be arsed doing a new build. I've got a new cooler coming tomorrow "Cooler Master Hyper 212 Single Tower CPU Cooler, 4 Heatpipes, 1x 120mm Fan, Red LEDs, Aluminium". Was a deal at Scan for £15, bought on a whim. This will replace my current "Antec H2O Kuhler 650 Water Cooling Kit with PWM Fan, RGB LED Temperature Sensor" which sounds like a helicoptor. I'm just hoping it will be able to cope.
So I'm going to switch out the GPU which is currently "POWERCOLOR R7 260X 2GBD5-DHV4E/OC Graphics Card Radeon R7 260X 2GB PCI Express 3.0 DVI HDMI DisplayPort".
Purely so that I can switch up Elite a bit more. Looking to spend £100/£150.
Best bang per buck suggestions welcome, or indeed is it worth it? I need two outputs as I run the interwebs or other stuff on my old monitor while gaming sometimes.

Ta.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
really don't fancy buying something 2nd hand off ebay. Seems fraught with misused/clocked dangers to me :cautious:
I'd rather have a lesser card with a warranty, but there are so many numbers my brain hurts :unsure:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Someone needs to invent a website that lets you enter all your stuff (from a list) and then tells you what the fastest/bestest bits are you can add to that system.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
So I'm going to do a new build, question is though which socket to go for that will be "current" for the longest time. I'm thinking AM4, get a Ryzen 5 cpu for now. Will there be a Ryzen 9 etc? Still not going to do this until after crimbo because cba.
Will get a new GPU though now that will fit the new system also. So £250ish for a gpu what should I get? Seems a toss up between RX570 or GTX1060?

Ta.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Bought, quantum leap from my current card, and a bargain at £179!
Should run Elite Dangerous with good frame rate and all the bells and whistles on max @ 1920x1080.
On a separate subject, jeeeesus Ram got expensive :(

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Sooo, that's like night and day.
Can hardly hear the PC now after fitting the new cooler. Got ED set on uber everything and it's running as smooth as a thing with KY on it.
Will get a new mobo/cpu/ram in the new year when I can be arsed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom