+magic skill?

Valgyr

Fledgling Freddie
Do u need to get +11 magic skill if u spec 50 in ur line say like fire wizzys and bains do u gain the ca 5% dmg or is it a waste of points?

Ps. merry xmas:)

Gazon

Fledgling Freddie
On a spec nuke it gives more damage. Every +1 to skill on your equipment gives you .5% more damage. So +11 is 5.5% damage.

(Every +1 to skill from realm rank doesn't give more damage btw)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Worth it if you can get it in without gimping other vital stats/resists :)

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Like most stat bonuses its worth getting as much as you can, as long a you dont gimp something else too much. I aim for +11 skill in my major skill line when making even a 99qual template, but again like most skills if you only took +9 or +10 you wouldnt see a massive change in dmg output.

Valgyr

Fledgling Freddie
This question was mostly directed towards the bainshee whom uses baseline nuke.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Valgyr said:
This question was mostly directed towards the bainshee whom uses baseline nuke.

With baselines its good to make your effective skill at least 50 (for rvr, more for pve) so you hit the top damage bracket. Im not sure how a bainshee specs, if you have 45+ skill in that spec then you wont need much as your + from rr will take you over 50. If you have no skill at all then get all you can. If you have something like 35skill then caculate what you need to reach 50 (at rr5 that would be +11). There are several key points where going over a certain skill level wrt your opponents level will put you up a damage bracket, they are worth being aware of if you have very low skill indeed (cant remember them offhand, except that the top bracket is when your skill is greater or equal to opponents level.. i.e. 50).

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
The damage on baseline nukes increases in the same way that spec nukes do when you increase your + magic above 50 skill.
Check your damage on base and spec nukes on your light caster when you vary your + light skill ( keeping acuity and + damage equal ofc) to verify this for yourself.
So yeah you get more damage on the bain nuke when you go > 50 composite skill.
If it's worth the sacrifize you may have to make somewhere else is another matter entirely.

Danita

Gazon

Fledgling Freddie
For a baseline nuke the +1 to skill does not add 0.5% damage like with spec nukes.

For a baseline spell you do however need to have as much total skill as the level of the spell (or as close to it as possible) to get "focus" on the spell to reduce casting cost and reduce variance on the damage.

So for a bainshee that specs less than 48 Spectral you will need to boost your skill with realm rank and +skill in template to get as close to 48 as possible.

If you e.g. spec your Bainshee 50 Spectral then +11 Spectral in template will add nothing to the damage of the Specral base nuke. It will however add 5.5% damage to the Spectral spec AOE nuke. (And prob also to the AOE bolt)

About hitting lvl 50 players with a lvl 48 nuke and the resisted spells you might get: +skill won't help you there. You need to get Mastery of Focus which increases the lvl of the spell to max 50 for calculation of possible chances the spell gets resisted. MoF 1 gives +3 so that would do for the lvl 48 nuke.

Gazon

Fledgling Freddie
Gazon said:
For a baseline nuke the +1 to skill does not add 0.5% damage like with spec nukes.

Seems like I was wrong there :(

I did some tests with base nukes and you do get 0.5% damage on the base nuke for every +1 to skill.

Baseline fire nuke on a wizard specced 50 fire:
517 damage with +3 to skill (staff)
536 damage with +11 to skill (staff+legs+arms)

so +8 skill is rougly 4% damage on base nuke.

Brackus

Fledgling Freddie
On my bainshee im 50SG and +11 in template

so 50+21 unsure if the RR helps or not, the dmg does increase over 50 but not by much tbh, but every little helps, plus if you change spec, you dont have to change template if you have +11

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
think with my sm i tried like 47 darkness (think its 47 for last lt not been on it in ages) tried 47+11 and then tested it with 47+5 think i lost around 20-30 damage or so... not massive if you think about it.. but then again with di and all this other crap in the game every little extra you can get helps eh ^^?

MaCaBr3

Banned
On my mana specced chanter, I have +11 and +7 RR, the huge difference is that there dmg is steady and there is way less dmg variance. It seams like +skill affect the dmg way you achieve the dmg cap of a nuke.

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
MaCaBr3 said:
On my mana specced chanter, I have +11 and +7 RR, the huge difference is that there dmg is steady and there is way less dmg variance. It seams like +skill affect the dmg way you achieve the dmg cap of a nuke.
I've highlighted the most important word here, MANA chanter. You have lower than 50 total lightspec, that means you will always experience variance on your nukes.
This variance will get better the closer to 50 total spec you get, the nukes will also start to use less mana.
At 50 or more total light spec your base nuke will no longer have any variance, but with increasing spec it will continue to do a few points more damage with each increase.

Danita

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Doesn't make a huge diff, but for a bainshee I'd stick on the full +11 in case you wanted to split spec PW or whatever later on which is not uncommon.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Semi-OT. My necro I'm levelling is level 44. Got +9 to all magic skills and +7% to casting speed.

What are the caps @ level 45 for magic skills and casting speed ?
(Bearing in mind at 45 you'll be unable to get most artis (which credit at lvl 46)).

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Skills cap is level/10+1, so +10 at 45.

I imagine the cap for casting speed at 45 will be 10%, in TOA Beta the total cap was 25%, probably level/2, and I bet that didn't change but just had a lower cap.

Darzil

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I thought casting speed was capped flat at 10% across the board...

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
Casting spd cap ( and all + caps that cap at 10 at 50) is lvl/5.
Heal, buff and debuff cap is lvl/2.

Danita

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom