Games Mafia II

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Please don't fuck it up.

Please don't fuck it up.

Please don't fuck it up.

Repeat every day until the 23rd, lets see if this "positive affirmations" malarky actually works.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I really enjoyed Mafia 1, looking forward to this.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Ive not played Mafia before but this does look quite good.

Is the game play in this a bit like Grand Theft Auto where you have to complete "missions" in order to progress?

I don't like GTA so if it's a similar style of game progress then I'll give it a miss.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
It's like playing through something akin GTA in terms of freedom in a city - but it's very much storyline driven not random missions which occasionally have storyline.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I assume the player perspective is similar to GTA as well ie 3rd person view rather than 1st person?

Aada

Part of the furniture
I'll wait for the reviews the God Father games killed my passion for any sort of Mafia game.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well you get free roam of the city (apparently in Mafia II you can go anywhere you like from the off - the first one blocked off sections of the city until you had completed a certain mission) but you have to do missions in order to progress the story. Mafia was better than GTA3 and Vice City imo, I think San Andreas took the crown back but Mafia II is looking quite excellent. Mafia really was a masterpiece though.

One thing they will find hard to better from the first is the soundtrack, I still hum the main theme to this day and hands up who deliberately slowed down on Central Island just to hear this? :)

And yes dys, it's 3rd person like GTA (gameplay video).

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I know its random, but I loved the fact Mafia cars had fuel, I remember being in a chase in the countryside and running out of fuel it was great. Hopefully this game can live up to the first one, though by the looks of the physics videos I have been watching, looks like I will have to upgrade my old PC to get the full benefit.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I bet it'll be a straight port from the console, which means that for PC gamers it'll be a load of shite.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Demo out available on steam now, downloading as we speak.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I bet it'll be a straight port from the console, which means that for PC gamers it'll be a load of shite.
Apparently it's nothing of the sort, so I've read anyway. Either way - demo out so we can find out for ourselves :). Also, bringing out a demo on PC before the game is released is so rare - I'm inclined to buy it as a show of support of that tactic before even playing it :).

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Played through the demo, the control system is really tight ( good ) the cover feels natural and didnt seem to have the stupidity of most cover systems with the world.

Also - graphics are great and runs fine on my 4870 and looks good.

Blah I was going to just torrent this but them putting out a demo has made me change my mind :(

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Am annoyed because I can't play the demo at the moment. :( The computer that will be capable of playing it all lovely like is on a dialup connection, I took my laptop to a fast connection, downloaded/installed Steam, went throught the update process then downloaded the demo and copied the download folder to a usb stick. Brought it home, downloaded Steam again and updated (on dialup :\), copied the "common" folder over to steamapps, the game starts but when I hit "start demo" or whatever it crashes to desktop and messes up the brightness. :(

It's a demo ffs, why can't I just download an exe installer. Only reason to use something like Steam would be if it has online play (it doesn't) or if had some sort of protection (it doesn't, it's a free demo).

Apparently the problem is fixable by downloading the demo again on the computer that it will be played on but that will literally take a week.

*grumble*

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I really enjoyed the first mafia game, I'm going to give the demo a go :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Call - start downloading on your new pc - pause - copy the files over - resume.. ?

If it checks the file when it resumes it should work.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Even better, get it on your laptop, right click the game through steam, backup game files then just transfer the created folder onto your main computer and run the backup.exe file.

Had the chance to play the demo today (PC, then XBOX) after having looked forward to this for quite some time. It does look very nice, really it does and I'm certain the storyline is going to be fantastic. The setting is great and the music awesome.

The controls for me were a little hit and miss. Generally you can tell if a game has been ported from a console onto the PC via the controls. There was a slight mouse lag, much like I've found in certain Tom Clancy games and GTA which makes me think it was a port. Unfortunately I seem to get hugely irritated by these small issues (probably about 0.05sec delay) so would probably end up playing it via a controller which isn't a huge issue as there is no auto-aim thank christ. Other then that, navigating obsticales, finding cover etc etc were all great. In fact, I'd go as far as to say I haven't seen any better in a sandbox game.

All I've found were slight annoyances which I really hope are going to be ironed out before the release else what could be a fantastic game could get ruined by constant breaking of the immersion... I'll wait until release before really giving a strong opinion on all of those aspects though.

I still think their actual trailer was a bit shoddy though... why do the normal thing of showing off the normal pretties when they could have stuck to their original sneak peek idea:

YouTube - ‪Mafia II Christmas Confessions Trailer (HD)‬‎

Now THAT was a bloody good trailer (minus the very, very wrong date ;))!

edit:Watch in higher quality...really really do.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Thanks for the tips but I really, genuinely can't be arsed with Steam on this connection. It seems to want to download 4+mb every time I login, which isn't much on a decent line but we're talking 20 minutes here.

I backed up a fully up-to-date copy of the demo and tried to restore it on this computer. The 1st time I got a "Steam servers are busy"* error, 2nd time it restored 95% and then proceeded to download something (which I left *overnight* and it was still on 95% the next morning), 3rd time it got to 99% and now it will not finish.

The final game is only going to be available on Steam isn't it? :\ I am determined to buy it (I haven't done that for a while either) because I've been looking forward to it for so long but I will probably end up downloading it naughtily just so I can play the damn thing.

*wtf has installing a local copy of a single player game demo to a local hard drive got to do with Steam servers? I don't get Steam, I'm sure it's all fine and dandy on a decent connection where you don't count by the kb (and it was great for grabbing the demo in the first place on the internet) but I don't know why (especially when there's no copy protection involved) I can't just download the demo and install/run it from outside Steam.

*grumble some more*

Marc

FH is my second home
Thats strange. Ive never had any kind of problem with Steam, ever!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
The final game is only going to be available on Steam isn't it? :\ I am determined to buy it (I haven't done that for a while either) because I've been looking forward to it for so long but I will probably end up downloading it naughtily just so I can play the damn thing.

It's steamworks so requires a steam account but you can buy it at retail and install from a disc.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Thats strange. Ive never had any kind of problem with Steam, ever!
I know, I know, I'm just grumpy because I'm sick to death of this pathetic dialup that I am forced to rely upon at the moment and am taking it out on the latest program that hasn't run to it's full potential because of it. Just happens to be Steam this time. :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Pre-ordered on steam so I can take a break from SC2 and replay mafia 1.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
played the demo thought it was ok loved some of the little touches the music rocks quite a fan of that era of music so it was great to listen to, the original game i loved but the music used to do my head in.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Played the demo and enjoyed it. Its still has the 'Mafia' feel to it so I will have to buy it, plus my machine can run it on high specs without any framerate drop. Theres still life in my 2yr old machine yet.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Am really, really enjoying this. The city is beautiful, it runs like shit off a shovel, the loading times are practically non-existent (especially after spending a couple of minutes at a time waiting for GTA IV to get going) and did I mention that it's beautiful?

Spoiler should not be opened if you aren't past Chapter 4 yet (if you care).
The prison bit is cool, if a bit surreal (walking in in first person was a bit of a headfuck at the time). The hand to hand combat works well and the cover system is also pretty reliable (much better than GTA's anyway). And the city looks fantastic when you get out in '51 - it's like they whacked the saturation up a couple of notches, everything is just so much more colourful and lovely.
There's loads of other good things that I've noticed along the way that I can't think of right now. The music is also excellent.

Yeah, I like this game. :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The engine is great, when you walk outside you get a light snow sound on the pavement, but move onto the grass where the snow is deeper and you get that snow crunching sound.

Attention to detail is outstanding :) Only ~30 mins in :p

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Nice, really looking forward to getting this once it reaches a more reasonable price (<20). :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom