mad lagg !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Neo said:
ping.jpg

like this ? numbers tell me shit but atleast i did what Flim said.

close :) if you do alt-printscreen it'll just screenshot your pingplot screen

Better yet "edit->copy as image", open up ye trusty MS paint and paste - also lets you black out your first hop or two to avoid the evil IP haxxors of doom (whoever they might be but a few people do this).

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
It isn't the OT maintenance that we mentioned onour news page the other day. That happened yesterday at 7am. From the pingplots here and ones sent into RightNow it looks as though a routiing table is messed up as people were being routed all around Europe to reach our servers - People from the UK were being bounced between Zurich and Frankfurt for example.

We've passed on all the pingplots we've recieved and asked for an explanation from OT. This isn't something we can see unless it's reported to us. If people complain of lag, the only part of the whole Your Computer -> Your ISP -> Internet -> Our Network chain that we can check is our network. If the problem is at any other stage of the chain we'll only know it exists if we get told about it by you and we can only know where it is if you show us. We can't be responsible for the entire internet however we will try and resolve problems that are reported to us, we can't do that though if you refuse to tell us where the problem is.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
If you dont send in ping plots then goa can't fix it, as has been said, they are in france and if they tried to ping you, they'd get send a totally different route.
If you say "zomg, its goas job fs" you're a fucking dick, theres nothing they can do to detect the lag.
Send in the ping plots or stop complaining.

Can you explain how a return plot to my house (or any UK site) from a machine inside the OT network (lets say GOA HQ) will manged to avoid the OT hubs on they way? Sure theres no guarantee youll get the exact same plot, but thats not required, you will test some OT hubs.

Would it be too much for a company like GOA to support its UK customers by monitoring the connection from the UK or countries that experince regular problems? (Yes im sure you cant do this if you consider you are glued to a chair in paris and forced to never move or communicate with anyone else).

Its not beyond reason that GOA could record the ping from users, catagorise them by country and deduce where problems where, or at least alert us to the fact that large percentages of people from listed countries where experinecing heavy lag.

Perhaps there could be a level of techinal support staff who monitor lag and ping within the game. Im happy being told that OT is at fault and thats why I cant play DAOC today, im not a happy bunny when I have todo pingplotting first to come to a conclusion I should have been able to find on the front of GOA news or GOA support forum.

Nothing they can do? Theres always something you can do if you want to bad enough, but the easy, less costly path is the one we are on and people have a RIGHT to complain and ask if more can be done.

p.s. Dont consider me someone who doesnt plot or is not helpfull, youll find a lot of my plots around these boards / sent to rn etc, I even wrote some long and detailed explanations and posts to help people pingplot back when we didnt even know the word 'opentransit'.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Since the other threat got closed...

Is the lag inside Camelot somehow connected to the "general" lag these days? I`m getting 5-10s lagspikes when moving around certain corners in Cammy, the spikes are reproducable. Will these lagspikes remain after the initial DR-throneroom-rush?

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Sending pingplotters is helpful indeed. But GOA must also understand that if you pay for a service you exspect it to be fully working.

this has been going on since GOA released their servers. its damn annoying. even more so when its not GOA´s problem. because then its impossible to fix(isnt it? seems so). France from the start seem to be a damn bad place to place their servers from the start.

I have another lame comparison here:
I buy a car, It doesnt seem to go proper. I give it back to seller/workshop saying Car isnt 100%. Fix it.
Would you like them to say: Sorry go trough the car find flaw return to us and we fix it.

4 years FOUR YEARS the lag comes and goes. I have been on US servers for way over a year and not more than some glitches from time to time. And those times they suffer its usually mythics own fault and they instantly release news on webpage and fix it asap. Usually taking the servers down rapidly rather than having crap servers up. Myself havent experienced such a thing at all though.

Ranting here had a bad sleep but...

End of story is you pay for something it havent worked properly for YEARS. Customers doesnt have to CARE if its the service providers fault or anyone else. Its the service issue to deal with.

Now as GM´s kindly state. Its merely impossible for them to know what the errors is without pingplotters. sure thing. And many people are kind enough to give them to GOA. for no reward at all? I mean cmon. your PAYING customers are actually helping your company for nothing. Where is the fucking reward? non lag servers in the end? Sorry but we already pay for that. I would pay way higher subs if I knew those 24 hour lag spikes would forever be gone.

Thanks

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Thorwyn[B&Q] said:
Since the other threat got closed...

Is the lag inside Camelot somehow connected to the "general" lag these days? I`m getting 5-10s lagspikes when moving around certain corners in Cammy, the spikes are reproducable. Will these lagspikes remain after the initial DR-throneroom-rush?

is it "computer freezes up" lag spikes?

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
basically, yes...which would indicate hardware problems.
However, a 3,2GhZ machine with 1gig RAM and an ATI9800 should be able to handle a couple polygons. :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Chimaira said:

effing car analogies :p

anyway it's not like that at all - it's like you buy a car in edinburgh and find the road is a bit bumpy (coz the roads are crap in edinburgh for some reason) and go back to the dealer to complain :p

Sure if you complain to the dealer they'll have words with the council to say "oi your roads are naff and are affecting our car sales" but they can't fix the roads.

Some lag problems GOA can fix (oh look a burst tyre) and they do - that's the ones in their network.

Anything outside that they can't fix and they can't ask whoever to fix without some information from you (where was that big effing pothole anyway?) - I'm sure if someone went to edinburgh council and said "there's a pothole somewhere! fix it!" they'd just laugh.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Thorwyn[B&Q] said:
basically, yes...which would indicate hardware problems.
However, a 3,2GhZ machine with 1gig RAM and an ATI9800 should be able to handle a couple polygons. :)

ATI cards seem to really hate darkness rising...

runs fine with 2gig and an nvidia :) but still a bit slow in camelot ;)

my laptop with only half a gig stops for about a minute at a time.

We need a new term for this sort of lag - as it's nothing to do with connections just computer speed. "freeze" maybe :)

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
No Flim thats a crappy comparison

Car dealers and road has nothing in common, GOA and opentransit has. somewhat atleast.

I wasnt actually out to flame GOA in my post either. I can understand the frustration of the GM´s here when they get personal attacks basically for being the face forward.

I leave my flames for players ;p

I mean. If I take a train and its late and I cant travel further until the next day. and this was only because a car had crashed on the train rails. That would be the car drivers fault but the train company would compensate me for the late coming anyways
(stupid comparisons ;P )

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
ATI cards seem to really hate darkness rising...
I run 2.66 P4 Ati Radeon 9700 Pro 1024 mb of ram

Until Darkness Rising came I always got issues like slow client, Alt tabbing taking 1500 years and comp being overloaded as hell.

I cant dual log with any client than DR either. I can run mach5 and stick with DR client. I can basically not get my bot in on TOA client on pryd without LD when I tab back. Identical settings.

THOUGH I notice even on DR client (but not as much) when I have been around a while its like you get memory leak. Im no computer wiz but the client slows down. being zzz. I dunno if this is because I alt tab lika maniac or not.

Sorry for trying to being such a no sayer to what you post :(

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
have both a Nvidia 7800GT and a Raedon 9800XT, neither of them have any problem at all with DR

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Chimaira said:
I can understand the frustration of the GM´s here when they get personal attacks basically for being the face forward.

Thats the only good thing about goa i have to say thats the info on this forum but if you dont use this forum how wtf whould you know what is going on? goa isnt the fastest ppl with updating news on the offical site wich really is bad service but what can you expect from them when they cant even give us a lag free server..

im just getting tired of the same lag over an over again an cant really be true a company running mmorpg like daoc cant provide lag free servers.. ofc there can be some hardware breakdown an stuff but this is just silly..

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Boni said:
Can you explain how a return plot to my house (or any UK site) from a machine inside the OT network (lets say GOA HQ) will manged to avoid the OT hubs on they way? Sure theres no guarantee youll get the exact same plot, but thats not required, you will test some OT hubs.

Would it be too much for a company like GOA to support its UK customers by monitoring the connection from the UK or countries that experince regular problems? (Yes im sure you cant do this if you consider you are glued to a chair in paris and forced to never move or communicate with anyone else).

Its not beyond reason that GOA could record the ping from users, catagorise them by country and deduce where problems where, or at least alert us to the fact that large percentages of people from listed countries where experinecing heavy lag.

Perhaps there could be a level of techinal support staff who monitor lag and ping within the game. Im happy being told that OT is at fault and thats why I cant play DAOC today, im not a happy bunny when I have todo pingplotting first to come to a conclusion I should have been able to find on the front of GOA news or GOA support forum.

Nothing they can do? Theres always something you can do if you want to bad enough, but the easy, less costly path is the one we are on and people have a RIGHT to complain and ask if more can be done.

p.s. Dont consider me someone who doesnt plot or is not helpfull, youll find a lot of my plots around these boards / sent to rn etc, I even wrote some long and detailed explanations and posts to help people pingplot back when we didnt even know the word 'opentransit'.

Well in this case it doesn't look like a broken hub but instead a b0rked routing table. We can ping as many OT hubs as we like but we'd never see that problem.
I'm not convinced that monitoring pings from our players is as useful as you suggest either. Ultimately you are responsible for your connection to our network and while you have practically no control over most of it, neither do we. If all of Denmark for example suddenly has problems connecting to our service, we hear about it anyway via RightNow, forum posts and ingame queries and without the supporting evidence in the form of pingplots from the affected players there'd be nothing we could do about it.

Finally here's an example of why we can't see the problems thatyou are having by simply pinging you back. I've picked Nullifidian's pingplot from earlier today as an example of a fresh route.
Nullifidian said:
If I pingplot back to his ISP I get this route which is entirely different to the one he reaches us with. As I'm not routing through the same hubs or using the same routing tables, this tells me nothing about any problems he may be facing:

T

Thotor

OT belong to France Telecom
GoA belong to France Telecom

GoA can't complain to OT since they belong to the same company. GoA can only say to OT : You got a problem here, can you fix it plz.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Well in this case it doesn't look like a broken hub but instead a b0rked routing table. We can ping as many OT hubs as we like but we'd never see that problem.
I'm not convinced that monitoring pings from our players is as useful as you suggest either. Ultimately you are responsible for your connection to our network and while you have practically no control over most of it, neither do we. If all of Denmark for example suddenly has problems connecting to our service, we hear about it anyway via RightNow, forum posts and ingame queries and without the supporting evidence in the form of pingplots from the affected players there'd be nothing we could do about it.

Finally here's an example of why we can't see the problems thatyou are having by simply pinging you back. I've picked Nullifidian's pingplot from earlier today as an example of a fresh route.

If I pingplot back to his ISP I get this route which is entirely different to the one he reaches us with. As I'm not routing through the same hubs or using the same routing tables, this tells me nothing about any problems he may be facing:

you get a invalid attachment when you pingplot him back?

wth?? first is was a tumbnail and I could not see it :( then I quote the bastard (the picture) and it resizes ...

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
nurf that low ping tho, always had 150-200 to GOA servers (unless when it lags that is and you get 1500)

Amiga

Can't get enough of FH
Tilda said:
If you say "zomg, its goas job fs" you're a fucking dick, theres nothing they can do to detect the lag.
Thats bs tbh. Its not hard to setup a couple of nodes that monitor the traffic towards goa servers from other countries. And no it isnt expensive either. So no, saying theres nothing they can do about it isnt true rly.

I dont mind lag now and then but its been like this for ages. And its always OT that has the problems. I find that strange since they are a huge network provider. Pretty unprofessional imo.

Last nights lag is just a small part of the recent lag thats been going on for like 2 weeks or so.

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
add small lagx4 years and it becomes a a big fucking lag imo :m00:

soze

I am a FH squatter
Like the admins say if the servers are up and available they are doing there job if you can’t speak to the server because of the internet not really there fault.

BUT this is getting old and boring so if they could find a way to route through someone else they should think about doing it.

MaCaBr3

Banned
Requiel said:
It isn't the OT maintenance that we mentioned onour news page the other day. That happened yesterday at 7am. From the pingplots here and ones sent into RightNow it looks as though a routiing table is messed up as people were being routed all around Europe to reach our servers - People from the UK were being bounced between Zurich and Frankfurt for example.

We've passed on all the pingplots we've recieved and asked for an explanation from OT. This isn't something we can see unless it's reported to us. If people complain of lag, the only part of the whole Your Computer -> Your ISP -> Internet -> Our Network chain that we can check is our network. If the problem is at any other stage of the chain we'll only know it exists if we get told about it by you and we can only know where it is if you show us. We can't be responsible for the entire internet however we will try and resolve problems that are reported to us, we can't do that though if you refuse to tell us where the problem is.

I just have to ask this, if GOA knows for a fact that the problem isn't at their servers, why don't you switch ISP then? There seems to be allot of either maintenance or routing problems with OT. Wouldn't it be better to just start looking for a provider which guarantees a more reliable network infrastructure?

I used to be a network engineer for a well known ISP in Belgium, if clients were'nt happy with the provided services, they just switched to other providers.

I understand you saying that you can't be responsible for what everthing that happens on the i'net and that you are asking for as many ping plots possible. But most of the time, the problem starts as soon we get on the OT network.

I just want to know what OT's opinion about this is.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
MaCaBr3 said:
I just have to ask this, if GOA knows for a fact that the problem isn't at their servers, why don't you switch ISP then? There seems to be allot of either maintenance or routing problems with OT. Wouldn't it be better to just start looking for a provider which guarantees a more reliable network infrastructure?

I used to be a network engineer for a well known ISP in Belgium, if clients were'nt happy with the provided services, they just switched to other providers.

I understand you saying that you can't be responsible for what everthing that happens on the i'net and that you are asking for as many ping plots possible. But most of the time, the problem starts as soon we get on the OT network.

I just want to know what OT's opinion about this is.

This is the point ive been trying to make for the last few months.

If our companies webpage and services were experiencing connection problems from the majority of users and they were all routed through opentransit then we - as a company - would be complaining like mad to our ISP threatening to move to a different providor which isnt so reliant on the opentransit links. We wouldnt expect our customers to contact their own ISP's

However... its clear that GoA are taking action on the pingplots users manage to send them, which is great - but after such a long time with random lag spikes and constant problems for the customers isnt it time to say enough is enough ?

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Oh these threads are like bloody ER re-runs :(

All the whines all the "suggestions" all the questions have been asked and answered soooo many times before ... for 90% of the people posting in here that's ok because they might have missed the other 200 threads on the subject but it gets kinda sad when a couple of people have actually been having the same whines in most of those 200 including this one.

:eek6:

popa

Fledgling Freddie
i started now the pingplotter and see thet i get a new route oO

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Chimaira said:
I run 2.66 P4 Ati Radeon 9700 Pro 1024 mb of ram

Until Darkness Rising came I always got issues like slow client, Alt tabbing taking 1500 years and comp being overloaded as hell.

I cant dual log with any client than DR either. I can run mach5 and stick with DR client. I can basically not get my bot in on TOA client on pryd without LD when I tab back. Identical settings.

THOUGH I notice even on DR client (but not as much) when I have been around a while its like you get memory leak. Im no computer wiz but the client slows down. being zzz. I dunno if this is because I alt tab lika maniac or not.

Sorry for trying to being such a no sayer to what you post :(

ok guess it's ATI cards hate DAoC ;) only heard people grumbling about it since DR was released though (probably because the new camelot uses up so much resource).

Everyone in my guild that's been complaining about blue screens and computer crashes in camelot is using an ATI card.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
Everyone in my guild that's been complaining about blue screens and computer crashes in camelot is using an ATI card.

oww, was something like this on US when DR was released aswell, they did a fix for it tho same evening

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:

We will just have to differ on this. I think its your resposiblity to monitor problems that affect the majoirty of players, even if this is just being more pro-active in recognising and reporting problems. At the moment the process of us telling you and then you telling us via FH posts feels inadequate. In an ideal world I would just check the techincal forum for my server, and get a list of current and recent lag/ISP problems and countries/areas affected. Some other online games do this.

Requiel said:
Finally here's an example ...

Im guessing there is alternative software out there that CAN do the job. Pingplotter is a usefull tool in some circumstances, but not designed to be run remotely, though of course if you used remote desktop or something then you could do just that.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
running a amd 3ghz with 1gig ram and ati 9600 pro 128 mb video card I also suffer from the crash to desktop and occasional reboot in camelot, especially around the round table area and the academy..

using the 5.2 driver set would help here, yes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom