Help Low CPU Fan Speed!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Every so often I have started getting a bios warning that my CPU fan has failed or the speed is too low!

The fan is working but I can't tell if its running too slowly or not.
The Bios temp for the CPU at that time was about 56 Deg C and the Motherboard about 38C.

I have an Athlon 64 X2 4800 with the NVidia Nforce 4 A8N-SLI motherboard.

Is there any way I can tell if the fan is running too slowly or if the bios is giving me a wrong reading?

Thanks!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Aparantly the fan speed is currently 1440rpm (used Speedfan to get this average)
Not sure if this is the speed it should be running at or not...

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Fan speed is different for each each model/type of cpu fan out there, some are variable. CPU temp seems high to me at 56 degree C. Is that with it running full on, big game heavy on resources running?

Highest temp for 4800+ is 72 degrees C according to AMD site. So your OK at the moment. But may overclockers can get below 56 deg C running balls out, so a decent CPU Fan might still be a good investment.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
No, most CPU fans should run at a minimum of 2500rpm and typically 4000-5000rpm.
Chances are that your CPU isn't being effectively cooled properly, so take Hawkwind's advice and get yourself a new heatsink/fan unit. At least it will get rid of the error cropping up.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
No that temp/fan speed is when the PC is not doing very much at all ie just using the internet and browsing these forums!

I'll look into a new fan then! Are all fans the same? ie Do they all attach to the motherboard the same? Or do I need to get a specific make/model for my motherboard?

The case fans are running at 4500rpm...

Kryten

Old Cow.
No, most CPU fans should run at a minimum of 2500rpm and typically 4000-5000rpm.
Chances are that your CPU isn't being effectively cooled properly, so take Hawkwind's advice and get yourself a new heatsink/fan unit. At least it will get rid of the error cropping up.

Can't agree with that. The CPU fan *should* run at whatever speed it's designed to run at which keeps the processor properly cooled. Mine for instance, just like any of the other manufacturers counterparts in it's class, spins at typically 900-950rpm, meaning I had to turn off the warnings in the BIOS. I complained to Asus about that, as MANY coolers will run well below the "minimum" 1000rpm these days.

But yeah, certainly check it anyway - if it's a stock cooler it should be running a bit quicker/louder :)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Its the one Mesh put in it about 2 1/2 years ago...Its an akasa one but no idea what model or anything.

So I guess if I'm only now getting a warning something is wrong?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Before I replaced it, my stock Intel CPU fan ran at about 1200RPM. Didn't do the best job of cooling but certainly was adequate for the job - so as Kryt said, asking how fast a CPU fan should go is like asking how long is a piece of string. It's all about how much air it move over the CPU and some can do that with a slower RPM than others.

If you're only getting a warning now, it does sound like there could be an issue though. Might be worth replacing the cooler as it's not pricey to do so. Make sure you get some new thermal paste, but some paste remover too to fully clean the cpu before applying the new stuff.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I use isopropyl alcohol to clean the cpu spreader, as for fan speeds if my computer has been off for a long while the BIOS (ASUS P6T Deluxe) warns me that fan speed is low even though it technically controls it most the time this just seems to be a problem with just being a few RPM under the low limit.

If you purchase a Heatsink and fan together then you should get some thermal paste with it.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
just dont flood the cpu with t, thin layer is all you need not a fat chunk. for fans id look no further than noctua nice and silent and effective

Lethul

FH is my second home

Lol wtf? My case fan, cpu fan, gpu fan all run at 500rpm. Saying that 2500 is minimum and they should typically run at 4000-5000rpm is nonsense. And with those numbers you would struggle to hear the sound from the speakers :p

Yaka

Part of the furniture
Lol wtf? My case fan, cpu fan, gpu fan all run at 500rpm. Saying that 2500 is minimum and they should typically run at 4000-5000rpm is nonsense. And with those numbers you would struggle to hear the sound from the speakers :p

i used to have a delta fan on my amd tb 1.4ghz cpu could even hear it going when i was out side. kept things nice and cool tho and gave my nice overclock preety sure they spun faster than 5000rpms. sound was too much to bear in the end

confused

Can't get enough of FH
i used to have a delta fan on my amd tb 1.4ghz cpu could even hear it going when i was out side. kept things nice and cool tho and gave my nice overclock preety sure they spun faster than 5000rpms. sound was too much to bear in the end

Yeep, great little things

can only find the 80mm EHE @ 5700 RPM with an audio clip
Delta FFB0812EHE 80x38mm

and 120x38 FHE iirc it outputted 190cfm in comparison with an average 120mm case fan of 30-60cfm [http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de12ff.html[/url]

Yaka

Part of the furniture
heh 52. dba noise level. loud tho not as loud as the old ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom