Looks like my cat is gonna croak :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Seen the caticopter thing before. Gave it a funny, but then I don't really find it funny tbfh, kinda don't want to turn her into anything - so "disagree" is what you get m8.

I took her to the vets. Amazingly she'd improved to the point where she could walk this afternoon so I asked the vet whether it was worth giving her 24 hours. Vet said why not as she's in no pain - but don't expect much - which I don't. She gave her a steroidal shot to see if it would give her some pep and stimulate her appetite.

Her appetites fine but her walking's not. Unless something incredibly unlikely happens by tomorrow morning I'm gonna take her back to the vets.

Ah well.

Now, I'd always wanted to cremate her in a mahoosive beach fire - in the absence of a viking longship I thought that fitting for a cat of 25 years. But I'm thinking bury in the back garden now and maybe plant an apple tree or something. But I'm pretty sure I've not got the space :|

Ideas? (And no, bin won't cut it)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
A burial in the back garden. Get a stone mason to do a simple memorial.

You can always

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I buried two of mine (casualties to the main road around the corner) in the back garden. Just make sure you dig a large enough hole - I don't wish to sound uncaring but once she's dead, she'll turn as stiff as a board. And once she's that stiff, you'll not be able to get her into the hole if it's too small. Also, foxes.

Gray

FH is my second home
Had the misfortune of burying many of my old cats in the garden, probably resembles a pet cemetary now. In a few hundred years when archeologists dig around this vacant site i'm sure they'll be thinking there has been some sort of massacre taken place.

I remember my one cat i had he was amazing, never had a connection like him now he's gone, and that was maybe 10 years ago, all my other cats really haven't "replaced" him. When he got ill we kept him at home, then we took him to some vet place down in Huyton, he stayed the night, next day he was right as rain. He deteoriated again, remember keeping his bed next to mine listening to his breathing wondering if it would ever stop but it didn't.

But then one day he just died in the house unexpectedly. Certainly do miss him even to this day!

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Losing a pet is awful, I know I've lost 3 dogs to cancer. Two of them were put down at the vets and one collapsed outside our front door whilst taking him for a walk. I remember picking him up and putting him in front of our fire place and stroked him, he died peacefully not long after. I always hated taking pets to the vets to die but if they are in pain then its for the best, even if you feel like crap for doing it.

Hope she recovers but if she doesn't then my condolences.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

That'd be pretty horrid don't ya think?

I don't wish to sound uncaring but once she's dead, she'll turn as stiff as a board. And once she's that stiff, you'll not be able to get her into the hole if it's too small. Also, foxes.

Aye. Got a lot of experience with cats + rigour.

Only problem is, I've no particular emotional attachment to this house as it's the birds and we only moved back in recently - and don't intend staying particularly long. Can't bury in my old house as I'm renting it, my mum's moving out of hers next week...

Ah well. I guess I'm not gonna be happy either way :|

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ta for the messages of sympathy btw peeps.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
It doesn't sound great, but 25 years is an insanely good amount of time for a cat. The good thing I'd take away is you've had 25 years of servitude to your kitty and still feel like you're in charge. We think we own cats, but it's clear that they own us since we do everything for them. :)

I'd be phoning up your vet asking for a home visit. Why put kitty through the stress of another trip to the vet? Vet can come to you just as easily (for a price). A neighbour did this and she felt she got far more than her money's worth.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'd be phoning up your vet asking for a home visit. Why put kitty through the stress of another trip to the vet?

Vet's at the end of the road. I could walk it in 5 minutes and less than a minute to drive. Wrap her up warm in a blanket, sit on the passenger seat of the g/f's car...

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Cremate and put ashes in a pot plant. That way if you move house you can take it with you.

rynnor

Rockhound
dysfunction said:
Cremate and put ashes in a pot plant. That way if you move house you can take it with you.

I had my last dog individually cremated.

I dont intend staying in my current house forever so its good to be able to take them with us.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
hmm, putting ashes in a plant seems rather grim to me. cats are not plants, although they do eat them sometimes :)

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
cats are not plants, although they do eat them sometimes :)

Sit around doing nothing, soaking up the sun without a care in the world.

Sound exactly like cats to me :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Occasionally they have to show their distaste of a particular breakfast. Like mine this morning as he flipped his bowl of whiskers all over the kitchen floor.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Sit around doing nothing, soaking up the sun without a care in the world.

Sound exactly like cats to me :)

I notice you conveniently ignore the chasing small things and pooping part :p

ECA

I am a FH squatter
If it croaks... it might be a frog. Are you sure it's a cat?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Occasionally they have to show their distaste of a particular breakfast. Like mine this morning as he flipped his bowl of whiskers all over the kitchen floor.

Mine does the same thing, except she eats it first. Then she spews it up. Not over the scruffy varnished floorboards, oh no, it has to be over the brand new bedroom carpet.

sayward

Resident Freddy
I had a couple of memorial plaques made just recently, for people not cats, they're really good. www.houseandgardenplaques.co.uk
Very quick and efficient do them for pets and all sorts.

Buried my 13 year old cat in the garden, where I thought we'd live forever and needless to say we didn't. It still upsets me that we had to laeve him there.

Nate

FH is my second home
I tend to cremate, you can get some small sleeping wooden cats with the ash inside if you want to have her in the house still. You can still bury her after cremating and then you know you won't have any trouble with her being dug up by foxes.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I've always buried dead pets. A couple of heavy paving slabs on top of the filled-in hole is enough to protect against foxes, I've found.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Too soon.
25 years is a long time in my opinion, sorry to hear.

Only just realised this..

30646427.jpg

Influenza

Part of the furniture
They become one of the family.

I've never got on with cats, but I can empathise.

I loved my old dog to bits, and when he died I missed him. Strange thing was, I never once cried. Still haven't. I think because he had such a good life, there was only happy memories. Nothing bad. No guilt. None of "if only I'd said that or did that" with people. Truth be told I still miss him, and talk about him loads, remembering the little things. It doesn't make me sad, just happy, and I smile at the good times. If only the passing of a human loved one was that simple./

Ill start with the cat part , ive never had a cat in my life but next door let thier kitten out at 5 months old and the thing was bloody tiny , the left it out all night so i started taking it in ,l couldnt leave it outside cos it was getting picked on by fully grown cats , anyway they have since moved and i still have her , i never ever thought it take to a cat but shes lovely.

Now the dog part , ive been through this 4 times in my life and i can honestly say i cried my eyes out every single time , the hardest one was my 2 year old lurcher that my dad decided to take out for a walk while i was at work and she chased a pheasant onto the road and got knocked over , that was 8 months ago and im still not over her. Sam i had for just under 13 years and he was brilliant , he has always lively apart from the last week of his life when he was ill , he seemed fine on his final morning but had a fit later on in the day , going to down to the vets i knew he wasnt coming back , that 15 minute journey was the longest of my life , that was 3 years ago and i still miss him.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Where's the /hug vote button when you need one?

Mods: sort it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom