Help Looking to upgrade my Desktop Gaming PC.

Discussion in 'Techie Discussion' started by Bobby, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Bobby

Bobby Regular Freddie

Hey Guys! Been ages since I've been about on FH - how's everybody doin'?

Recently I've started to notice on more modern titles my computer just can't ramp the maximum options anymore, and I recently came into a bit of cash so it's time for an upgrade. However - I have no idea about these things, so I came to you guys, who seem fairly knowledgeable.

Now - to stress my inability with the technical aspects of my PC, I'm not intimately familiar with how to get a full list of specs to present you guys for what needs upgrading/what could use a tune up/and so on, so could someone direct me on how to give you guys the relevant information to work with?

Again, my sincerest apologies for my innate inability when it comes to this - I'll try to help you guys out as much as I can while you're helping me. :p

Thanks in advance,

Bobby

2. inactionman

inactionman Can't get enough of FH

What windows version are you using?

In the run box type "dxdiag", on the next screen click the button "save all information".

Paste the contents of the text file here. It's pretty much everything about your system.

3. Bobby

Bobby Regular Freddie

I'm running Windows 7 Home Edition - 32 bit, anndddd...

... There's the info you requested!

Thanks for the reply, Inactionman!

4. inactionman

I'll update more in the morning, but you'll definitely need to update to 64 bit windows!

Other things we'll need to know is what your budget is and what you want to run.

5. Bobby

Bobby Regular Freddie

Budget isn't massive - £300-£350, tops. Does 64 bit windows make a difference?

As for what I want to run, I dunno really. Just the latest gen of games with as best frame rate and maximum graphical quality - stuff like Mafia II, or FFXIV. I'm looking to optimise my ability to play games at highest settings more than to tailor-make the computer to anything specific.

Thanks again for the help.

6. inactionman

64 bit windows allows you to address more than 3Gb of memory (less if your graphics card has more), plus it allows a 64 bit application to use more than 2Gb of memory. A number of games are coming at 64 bit these days. When you bought your computer I assume it came with windows pre-installed? If so, you probably won't be licensed/have the disk for 64 bit, but an upgrade disk is pretty cheap (£39 download from here).

Ok, DXdiag didn't give me the information I expected about your motherboard, you'll need to open the case up and get what manufacturer and model your motherboard is. You also need to tell me about your power supply, manufacturer and model.

At this point it's looking like you need a mobo/processor/memory/graphics replacement (ideally HD as well as it's a bit small, but difficult to do on your budget).

7. inactionman

Oh, just in case your mobo can support a faster cpu, can you tell me how many memory slots are in use?

8. Bobby

Bobby Regular Freddie

I'll do my best, although as I emphasised earlier - I'm not amazingly tech savvy.

Lemmie see...

The Mobo is a ASUS P5N-D Socket 775 Motherboard. The power supply... Hrm. I think it's a Xilence 700W XP700 power supply.

9. inactionman

Ok, your mobo supports up to Core2Quad (what I run with no problem!) with bios updates, so that's a lot easier! Plus the PSU should be able to support anything sensible.

What I suggest you do is get a Retail Q8400 processor (about £120 and comes with a decent cooler), an AMD 5770 graphics card (about £105 or so), the previously mentioned 64 bit windows 7 (£39) and a 1TB Samsung F3 (about £45). Scans a good site to get most of these, and they are doing special pricing on some this weekend.

If you have the memory slots, I'd suggest upgrading your memory, but you probably don't, however it's something you can bear in mind in future.

10. Bobby

Bobby Regular Freddie

I meant to ask... I followed the link you provided concerning the Windows 7 64-bit upgrade disk, and it seems to be upgrading from Windows XP/Vista. Can it actually upgrade my Windows 7 32 to 64?

Other than that - this looks great. Much appreciated, Inactionman - you're a legend. :) Did you say the website was called 'Scans'?

11. inactionman

It will do a re-install for 64 bit no problem. You'll need the old drive in the system for it to work (licensing), but make sure to install to the new one (if you get it).

No problem. It's scan.

Just make sure to do a bios update before you change your processor. There should be instructions on how to do this in your mobo manual, if not they'll be on the asus website.

12. Bobby

Bobby Regular Freddie

Thanks again, Inactionman - putting in the orders for those parts now.

Concerning updating the BIOS - I assume I want to do that for the system as it is now, not as it will be? (For example, updating my BIOS for windows 7 32, not 64.)

I'm trying to update it via the internet, and it's the method I'm most comfortable with. I don't suppose you've got a link for me to get the latest ASUS Update Utility, do ya? Navigating the ASUS website is being a pain.

EDIT: While I remember! When you mentioned about increasing my computer's memory - were you talking RAM? Because I'd been told 4 gigs is pretty much the amount anybody would ever need - am I wrong there?

13. inactionman

BIOS updating is independant of software. Probably easiest to follow these instructions, and use a USB drive. Downloadable BIOS's are on this page.

14. Bobby

Bobby Regular Freddie

Ah! Found my ASUSUpdate.exe file on my support CD. No problems. :)

Thanks again for all your help, Inactionman. You've helped me out a ton. How do you rate this system post-upgrade? Solid?

15. old.Osy

old.Osy No longer scrounging, still a bastard.

It'll do you for another 2 years or so.

16. inactionman

Pretty solid. The only possible sticking point may be the RAM, as 4Gb is a bit low these days. You can upgrade that to 8Gb in future if need be, but you'll probably have to rip out the old stuff (as it's almost certainly 4x1, and you'll need to go to 4x2). It's also a future problem, as upgrading to 64 bit should fix that for now by allowing you to use your full RAM.

The other limiting point in your system is your monitor, but going to full hd or above isn't cheap!

17. Bobby

Bobby Regular Freddie

Duly noted! Full HD will remain a dream for the future - for now, the performance provided will suffice. Thanks again for your help - if I can help you out with something, drop me a PM. :)