Linux question...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Starting to be somewhat curious about Linux (again) and kinda feel like giving it a shot.

So i'm looking for a permanent replacement for windows here.

Why permanent you ask? Well if i'm gonna have to use Windows for certain things anyway then why should i use anything other then windows to begin with?

Problem is i hear all these horror stories that not all that much made for windows actually works on it and that you need something close to an IT major to get what works, to work properly....

Is this still the case or are there an OS out that windows programs can actually work with without any hassle?

I don't care if it's different, neither do i care how the OS makes it work, i just want my shit to install and work without having to fiddle about with emulators and whatnot first. :)

If the OS does all that for me then i'm fine as long as it does it "quietly"...

I'm asking for to much aren't i? :(

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I'm not really sure what you're asking for mate. You want Windows but you don't want Windows?

If you have certain Windows programs that you can not do without, best to research their running under Wine in Linux a bit before switching, or perhaps setting up a VM from within Linux to run a small windows image just for that specific program.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Or start with a Linux VM from within Windows until you're comfy and then make the leap to a Linux host with a Windows VM*.

VirtualBox

*this is the way I keep telling myself I'm going to get into Linux. I always seem to end up installing a win guest os though. :$

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I'm not really sure what you're asking for mate. You want Windows but you don't want Windows?

Well, in a way i suppose. I want to eat my cake and still have it! :)

Yes i know i should just as well stick to Windows and i might end up doing that, but it's soon time for a reinstall because i'm starting to have to many issues with my PC and i'm to stupid to fix them myself, so i thought why not try something different at the same time?

Though as i pretty much only use this for gaming and trolling forums with i kinda need a Linux version that can run those games. Both the normal digital downloads as well as those on Steam, Origin, GameFly and Impulse...

TdC

well if you only do that, then why not keep your windows install? or do what Cal said perhaps. Setting up a VM with something like Virtualbox is free and pretty easy. Download a linux, either a live filesystem or an installer ISO, that seems nice and friendly...in your case something like Ubuntu should be ok enough I guess and put the two together.

In my main linux workstation, I actually have a tonne of VM's for different purposes, work and school related. Really handy compared to having a lot of physical boxes.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Go with Ubuntu. Tbh I'm used to Unity now. It's OK.

If you need something faster for an old laptop then Peppermint 3 has just been released.

Virtualbox is all well and good but it's not a comparable experience to native install on an SSD :)

/edit: Oh, and Steam is coming to Ubuntu!

TdC

used to Unity? is this your coming out thread Wij? Steam on Ubuntu I heard about. I also heard about people running it already, with some games playable. I applaud this greatly.

tbh I'd go with the virtual machine thing. make a vm, install a linux on it, set it to full screen and just use it for everything you want. it's the best way to learn, but also to become well aware of what Linux does and doesn't do.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Hmm ok, probably the best thing to do all things considered...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If you're going to predominantly run games then stick with Windows.

I get around my Linux itch by having a second hard drive in my box with Ubuntu on. Lets me do all sorts of boring nerdy things that would never work in 1000 years on Windows like building OpenELEC variants for my Raspberry Pi, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom