Linux Install Help

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Hello all, I've been compiling my way through the various stages of Gentoo Linux and things aren't going too bad. However, I've hit a problem with my kernel (2.6.1).

I configure and compile it from a boot disk, and it gets plonked onto my mounted /boot partition. I install hotplug as instructed, and then reboot and choose Linux from GRUB. It generally goes fine, it switches into Framebuffer, messages about mounting all my partitions flash past, it starts the system logger and then it announces that it's looking for hotplugged USB and PCI devices.
At this point, it stops.

Well, actually, I can type, but it's not a prompt yet, so it does nothing. It does suggest that it's not dead though.

I've got a thread going on Gentoo, naturally, but was wondering if any of you hardcore unix types knew the answer too? ;)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Shovel said:
Hello all, I've been compiling my way through the various stages of Gentoo Linux and things aren't going too bad. However, I've hit a problem with my kernel (2.6.1).

I configure and compile it from a boot disk, and it gets plonked onto my mounted /boot partition. I install hotplug as instructed, and then reboot and choose Linux from GRUB. It generally goes fine, it switches into Framebuffer, messages about mounting all my partitions flash past, it starts the system logger and then it announces that it's looking for hotplugged USB and PCI devices.
At this point, it stops.

Well, actually, I can type, but it's not a prompt yet, so it does nothing. It does suggest that it's not dead though.

I've got a thread going on Gentoo, naturally, but was wondering if any of you hardcore unix types knew the answer too? ;)

pass noacpi (or no-acpi, I forget) to the kernel at boot. may help, may not. you could also see if there's a no-usb thing you could do?

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
okie. Yeah, ACPI seems to get blamed for a lot of issues... heh.

No USB is probably not an option, since my mouse and keyboard are both USB flavour, and I'm without the PS/2 adapters for them (not to mention that the cables aren't long enough to reach the back on the computer rather than via the USB hub.. ahem).

Will give ACPI a good throttling later on. Ta matey :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom