Linksys Wireless G (WAG354G)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Guys,

Trying to fix up a neighbours connection with a new (well 2-hand) router.

However, having major problems configuring the router.

I have tried it with his current pc and received errors saying that there was no connectivity
Tried on my laptop and received the same issue.

I brought it home and tried on my desktop PC by disconnecting the cables from my WORKING router and plugged into the linksys - I still cannot connect to the router.

Tried resetting the router - nada.

any suggestions before I tell him to bin it?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
So windows is saying no network cable connected, regardless of what ethernet port you plug it in to on the router? Sounds dead to me.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
So windows is saying no network cable connected, regardless of what ethernet port you plug it in to on the router? Sounds dead to me.

that about sums it up.

only joy I got if i remember correctly was specifying a fixed ip - all that did was recognise the connection - but it was up and down like a whores knickers.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Odd that a fixed IP makes a difference, but if it's up and down then it sounds like something's broken. Tried wiggling the cable (at the router socket) about to see if that makes a difference?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not if DCHP is disabled on the router.

What does it say when it's all hooked up and you do ipconfig in a command prompt?

PS: If this is the router I think it is (little square job in grey that you can stand on its side like a PS2), then bin it. My lass had 2 of these and they both "just died(tm)" for no reason and were unrepairable, she got a netgear and has never had a problem since.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
DHCP won't make a difference to windows detecting that a network cable is plugged in or not - that shouldn't be dependant on how the router is configured at all.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
nope - im getting feck all progress on thjis - I think its safe to say that its kicked the bucket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom