LCD Monitors

S

(Shovel)

I tried to search for past threads on this, but it wont let me search for LCD (too short a word).

So, apologies if this is a repeat.

I'm thinking about getting a 15" LCD monitor for Uni - Exisiting 17" CRT is bloody massive and I don't like the idea of getting up to Manc.
However, reading around, there is lots of stuff about "dead pixels" and the like. Obviously I could have an average 19" CRT for the price of an LCD so I want something reasonable.

I'm probably spending £350 at the most.

Anyone have any recommendations for 15" (or larger!) or any problems to watch out for?

Thanks,

Ben

F

FuZor

You know what to watch out for :) dead pixels are a problem with I think you mean TFT not lcd ;) also how well it can cope with different viewing angles, they are improving. However most still can only be looked straight on. And... if you are playing games then

/Shit! sorry Zone alarm just gave me a nice alert, screw all you port scanner grease monkeys :(

anyway you want to watch out for lag on the tft screen! Most are good enough these days. But make sure you can play Q3 without strange weird laggy effects!:D

Browse here for a few ideas

http://www.datalynx-it.co.uk/screens.htm

however I would get this little beauty :p

http://www.hercules-uk.com/mediaroom/press/00022.asp

S

Summo

Response Time (ms): 25
I could live with that. Stick me down for one, Emb. :)

/edit! Ooh! Wall-mountable, too! Snazzeh...

F

FuZor

Out of interest, whats the average response time for a CRT? anyone? ;)

E

Embattle

Originally posted by SomeGuy
I could live with that. Stick me down for one, Emb. :)

/edit! Ooh! Wall-mountable, too! Snazzeh...

NP, just give me the £950 first though :p

S

(Shovel)

The Herc does look pretty good.

I'd like to say that I wont be doing much gaming at uni, but that would be a lie.

On the other hand, buying an LCD might keep me in the bar instead - which can't be bad.

S

S-Gray

They should make the Search Filters better, as you say 3 words are a no-no, but i want to look for say OGC i cant find it (not coz i wanna cheat, coz i wanna see what threads have been about :p)

S

(Shovel)

Originally posted by Quicksolv
Out of interest, whats the average response time for a CRT? anyone? ;)

Erm, barely anything I think. CRT is, tomy knowledge, a direct feed from the PC to the output.
An LCD has to have some significant time added due to converting a VGA signal back to Digital (effiient eh?) and then the delay for the LEDs to switch voltage.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Shovel

Erm, barely anything I think. CRT is, tomy knowledge, a direct feed from the PC to the output.
An LCD has to have some significant time added due to converting a VGA signal back to Digital (effiient eh?) and then the delay for the LEDs to switch voltage.

DVI takes care of the converting plus it produces a better picture :)

S

(Shovel)

Hmmm, I've discovered erm.. surplus :D
I'm going to risk an assumption that the £370 for the Herc 15" is going to yield a good quality monitor.

Soooo.. roughly how much do I need to spend to get something, well, bigger :p
I can bring up pages on Dabs all day long but I have no idea when you move out of the B-grade screens and get quality ones.

Tips?

S

Summo

See here and click on the 'Bin Ends' link. Absolute chuffing bargains. WPKenny and I both bought from there. Dead chuffed with my 19" ErgoVision 975 for £180.

See this thread for the full story. :D

S

(Shovel)

Rejected for pixel defects aparently. Not happy buying one of them really.

S

(Shovel)

Dabs have an Iilyama AS4314UT 17" LCD 1280x1024 for £530.
Bigger screen area than my current CRT for sure..

Anyone know much about it?

F

FuZor

Remember the Herc 15" will be comparable to a 17" CRT due to the sizes being what you actually see! :p

S

(Shovel)

I know, but a 17" gives 1280x1024 res which would be nice.

S

(Shovel)

Confused now...

OK, from Dabs:

iiyama 17" TFT monitors.

We have this one: http://www.iiyama.com/product2/AS4315UT.HTM Which costs £586.32 - link is to the Iiyama stats page.
Then we have this one:
http://www.iiyama.com/product2/AS4314UT.HTM Costs £527.57.

Erm, what's the important difference? The more expensive one can come in black :)D) which is a nice perk, but they both claim to have a response time of 25ms so why the £60 difference?
Any clue?

O

old.Jas

Seems the more expensive one has a slightly higher quality panel (greater viewing angle, higher contrast ratio). I dunno if thats worth 60 smacker though.

Black desktops rule :)

S

(Shovel)

Interesting.
I am slightly nervous cause the cheaper is the "cheapest" so thee may be a better quality check on the black one. But, obviously, there wont be any way of finding that out, cause they are all "high quality monitors" that could never have faults :p

S

(Shovel)

Looks nice, but verrrrrry expensive. Not nice.

O

old.Jas

Originally posted by Shovel
I am slightly nervous cause the cheaper is the "cheapest" so thee may be a better quality check on the black one
If I was spending 500 odd quid I'd shell out for the extra £60 - even if just for piece of mind

P

PR.

Originally posted by Jas
Black desktops rule :)

Bah if ya gonna keep p!mping your monitors do me the favour of getting a better picture pweeeeese :)

I'll post a pic when I get my new 21" Sony CRT, just got a lubly custom built desk for it all :)

O

old.Jas

Ok - but just for you. I'll crank up the res on the webcam and fix it sometime

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom