Latest Windows Update has Borked my network.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Hi,

I am very much a network newbie, having only been running one for about 5 weeks. It was incredibly easy to set up, and has so far run fine. Up until now.

I basically have a Netgear DG834GT with my main PC plugged straight into, and a second PC connecting through a WG111T USB Adapter.

After the update this week my main PC works fine but my second PC just hangs on every attempt to connect to the internet, whether it is for Firefox, OE or whatever.

Bizarrely it will connect for a few seconds when first booted, long enough for homepages or e-mails to be checked, but thereafter simply timeout trying to find new pages etc. I also can't access any of my network places, printers etc.

The computer doesn't seem to think there is a problem though. It tells me that the connection is still running, and goes on telling me that the connection speed is good to very good!

I was stumped by this, until I realised that the only thing that had changed on that machine was the latest update. I did a system restore and everything was fine.

I allowed the update to happen again, just to check, and sure enough the problem is back.

There are six components to this update, I guess the only way to be sure is to install each separately, but is there any other way round this? How common is it for updates to make machines work worse than they did before? (Yes I do remember the whole SP2 thing)

Who is responsible? Netgear are meant to have good customer service and I'll send them this description as well and see what happens. There hardly seems any point in telling Microsoft.

Any help at all would be gratefully recieved

RB

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I had a similar problem last week, In the end I tweaked the advanced settings on the Wireless adapters I've got PCI adaptors not sure how it works with USB ones. Had to restart the machine a few times but it works fine now, the update added loads of extras to the advanced menu that I don't even use.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Thanks PLightstar,

Could you give me a bit more detail about what tweaking you did?

I have this as my control window for the Netgear link:

netgear1.gif

And if I click on the advanced settings button I get this window:

netgear2.gif

I have no idea what any of this means :(, this is before update though.

Thanks again

RB

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Yeah thats really different from mine, Because its a PCI card I went through the Hardware manager list in settings and changed the advanced settings there. U don't get a lot of options in that menu of yours.

The only other thing I can think of is swtiching off WEP protection if you have it and using the wireless accepted station list, in the router menu.

Umm. bit of a long shot but you could try changing the channels to see if it has an effect best to go to Channel 6 on the router and adapter.

other than that try to get Jonty to help u out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom