Latest best PC hardware

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
It's got to the time when I decide my PC is too old, as happens with me every two years. I usually like to wait until the current processors as at least twice as fast as the last one I bought. Anyway I don't keep up with what's new and popular in PC hardware once I've bought the stuff, usually just pick stuff off a list that seems to be the fastest.

I was just wondering, before I head out to the shop, what current opinions are on this, that and the other.

For instance AMD vs Pentium (if they both still exist), how fast do they go? What's this dual core thing I saw someone write about in their thread about their PC not switching on? Is there a fave graphics card, mobo and so on et cetera.

I'm talking about buying the seperate bits from a local shop, but it would also be intesting to hear opinions on brand name stuff like Dell, HP or whatever. I've thought about Dell for instance, but I only really need the PC box and none of the other stuff that comes with it.

Edit: I just looked at Dell I notice they are still plugging thing like 'The Ultimate Game Experience' and 'The Home Office' as different setups. Isn't that a bit of an old fashioned way of looking at PCs for the home? Surely everyone wants the ultimate game experience, at least secretly, and all the other stuff is secondary. I mean if your PC can handle the most hardware hungry games it should be able to handle anything I thought. Anyway I do want it to run stuff like BF2 etc as best as possible, and would expect, because of this, that it can handle all the work stuff I want to do too.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
The vast majority of PC users don't give a monkeys left nut about games and so anything geared up towards that is going to be massively overspecced for them.

I'd steer clear of dell - they make crap machines. HP make decent stuff, but I've never known of a company to make a well specced decent value machine. Always better to source stuff from dabs/ebuyer/aria/scan/whatever and put it together yourself.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I think I am just going to go to my local PC gadget shop and buy all the bits, I always have before. I'm just a bit behind on what's the latest stuff really.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Maljonic said:
I think I am just going to go to my local PC gadget shop and buy all the bits, I always have before. I'm just a bit behind on what's the latest stuff really.
You sure? That's an expensive way to do it...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Tom's timetable for upgrading computer:

1) Play games on current computer
2) Be happy
3) Buy new super-duper game
4) Computer too slow to play new game
5) Upgrade

I've saved loads doing that :)

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
nath said:
You sure? That's an expensive way to do it...
Not sure what you mean, it's usually a lot cheaper. I've done it now anyway, and discovered PCI has come back into fashion and AGP is yesterday's girl... :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Oh, I've always found retail stores (especially local shops) to be much more expensive than online retailers. And yup - PCI-e is the in thing, seems to be cheaper than equiv AGP cards too.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I might be touch more expensive, not very much with this place though. Plus I prefer to be able to return stuff easily, in this case it's just down the street. Obviously I wouldn't go to PC World or somewhere like that.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah if I had a shop run by decent people locally, then I'd probably prefer that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom