laptops - can anyone beat this?

O

old.Wildfire

http://www.timecomputers.com/showpackage.php?prod_id=4632

Budget is a grand, that one seems to be shockingly good value considering it has all the extra communication options I could want - firewire port, modem, 10/100, and a dvd-writer. All that's missing is a floppy drive but I figure I can pick up an external for £20 at a computer fayre or something.

Basically it's something for me to take to lectures as I can touch-type 80 words per minute (on a crappy keyboard!) plus... erm... well lets be fair; watching DVDs and playing games instead of paying attention. Communication options are what I need, along with portability.

Any thoughts?

M

MiMeN

get a USB LS 120 drive, buy one on ebay for much much cheapness

/salut

S

Sibanac

My main question would be whats the quality of the screen like

A

Apathy

http://promo.euro.apple.com/promo/refurb/uk/

If it's just for lectures, then nothing beats the sexy sophistication of a G4 laptop with 15" screen. Yum! They cost around £1000 to £2000 but that website has refurbished ones every Wednesday at 10am with up to 45% off! :D

Apple laptops are babe magnets. I may get one of the new G4 or G3 as a treat if I do get into Ox/Cam but if I end up at Warwick?Notts then I have a deliciously retro PowerBook 3400c which is just too cute.

PC laptops.... :vomit:

a.

G

greenfingers

pretty ok, but I would say, check the screen, run a RAM test, and check the GFX card ...

main thing to do:

RUN TEST's !!!

E

Ekydus

Originally posted by Apathy

Apple laptops are babe magnets.

ROFL. A mate of mine took his into his College lesson. Within 60 seconds he had 2 girls coming over and starting up a conversation about how Apple Macs are better than Windows. :lol:

U

uncle_sal

Yep yep... and nothing beats a blowjob...

M

moo_work

just remember that athlon xp 2400 is not a 2.4ghz processor, it's a 2ghz processor (infact it's just under 2ghz by a few mhz :p )

also remember, the first thing to break (useually) on a laptop is the battery, by break i mean useage time down to less than 25% of what it should be - so a decent battery is a must.

also i generally would not recomend time, but then i generally would not recomend getting a laptop at all since they are hideously uneconomical, having said that obviously some times only a laptop will fit the purpose (eg: taking it in to lectures etc) - but they don't have much of a shelf life.

S

Sibanac

Originally posted by moo_work
just remember that athlon xp 2400 is not a 2.4ghz processor, it's a 2ghz processor (infact it's just under 2ghz by a few mhz :p )
who cares, thay are almost as fast as a 2.4 and even faster on some operations and cost less then a 2ghz

O

old.LandShark

Originally posted by Sibanac
who cares, thay are almost as fast as a 2.4 and even faster on some operations and cost less then a 2ghz

Uh, the point is that if it actually WAS 2.4gHz it would be faster still. Or rather, the point is, don't forget that athlon CPUs are sold by 'performance ratings' rather than actual clock speeds. Not that P4s are different :p

A

Apathy

specs_top04302002.jpg

Oooh...

index_top04152003.jpg

Aaah...

a.

K

Karam_gruul

Originally posted by Apathy
http://promo.euro.apple.com/promo/refurb/uk/

If it's just for lectures, then nothing beats the sexy sophistication of a G4 laptop with 15" screen. Yum! They cost around £1000 to £2000 but that website has refurbished ones every Wednesday at 10am with up to 45% off! :D

Apple laptops are babe magnets. I may get one of the new G4 or G3 as a treat if I do get into Ox/Cam but if I end up at Warwick?Notts then I have a deliciously retro PowerBook 3400c which is just too cute.

PC laptops.... :vomit:

a.

so hang on, are you gay irl... or not? seriously? coz if ur not u do a fucking good impression.

if u get into ox/cam, sad git lmfao

O

old.Wildfire

Sure it looks nice but I have no idea how to use one. Plus the compatibility with my desktop (a 2.4GHz dell) would be........non-existant?

O

old.Xarr

HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO WORK A COMPUTER WITH JUST ONE GOD DAMN MOUSE BUTTON?!?

/apple rant

M

moo_work

Originally posted by old.Wildfire
Sure it looks nice but I have no idea how to use one. Plus the compatibility with my desktop (a 2.4GHz dell) would be........non-existant?

Actually compatability with macs has come a long way, not only will a small control panel (like an 'ad-on' for the mac OS) called PCFormat (which actually comes with the OS) will let you read PC formatted disks as if they were mac formatted, if you have MS Office for mac (essentially a direct copy of the pc version) then any word docs on either machine are cross readable. Macs can also read any file format from a pc as long as there is a version of the program you need, for mac (and you have it installed).

So if you're going to use it for using Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and other MS apps - then compatability is fine.

You'll also find programs like Internet Explorer and Outlook for mac.

Infact if you run MAC OS ver 10.2+ (I think most systems come with OS9, not sure on that though - i don't own a mac i just provide support for a few at work) it runs a BSD (essentially linux/unix) core - thus it would infact be the most compatable machine there is out there - being able to compile and run linux/unix programs as well as running Mac native programs AND having no problem reading and writing compatable file formats for your pc.

It may seem that I'm a mac advocate here - actually I dont own one at the moment but my first ever computer was a MAC and after 9 years it still works - basicly they're more relyable than PCs, they crash less, they are highly compatable with pretty much anything you want to throw at them, their user friendly OS is second to none and best of all they look fucking sexy ;)

edit: forgot to add, only reason I don't buy/use macs is that basicly I like games - and games just don't come out on macs like they do on PCs. And also new versions of software will take longer to come out on macs.

Basicly comes down to software choices being more limited as well as desktop macs being harder to upgrade because their componants are not as generic as PC ones - but that is getting better.

A

Apathy

In addition to the above, I also use MacLAN to connect my PC and various Apples to allow them to access all HDs. Very very simple to use.

a.

O

old.Wildfire

We have another contender; http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...ghdgngdgli.0&comm=ST&pfam=Satellite&pmod=1900

IMO that looks even better than the mac (I cant say I really like the minimalistic white styling tbh) and the specs are SWEET. At the moment I can't find an option to import it to the UK but assuming I can find a family friend in the states to ship it over here, my question is;

Will there by any issues with power supply by bringing a US laptop over here? I.e. will I require a transformer or just a new plug?

A

Apathy

I imported my Powerbook from the US and it came with a two part PSU: a brick which you plug into the mains and the other wire into the book. The mains cord is swappable for a normal kettle plug type thing.

a.

L

legaoniel.old

laptop

Try the Toys R Us site - I kid you not - they have a better model, p4 processor, same price, lol.

O

old.Wildfire

The toshiba model appears to beat both hands-down from my perspective... Plus I would never buy a laptop from Toys'R'Us. Be serious.

M

MiMeN

Virtual pc is a pc emulator for the mac, bloody good, ran VERY well on my G4 Imac.

/salut

M

mestoph

If your getting a laptop, i would suggest getting something with Geforce Go graphics, or Ati Mobile if you intend on gaming with it. Mine has Geforce 64meg Go, and handles SI well to be honest as long as you turn off shadows/water effects.

O

old.Wildfire

Haha never mind that toshiba one, the price on the website was a typo, its now changed from $1,199 to $1,999 :)

So... back to the original TIME machine... any advances?

As far as DAoC goes it'll just be for a buffbot or bubblebot or something, it doesnt need to be particularly playable.

E

Erekrose

It looks alot like the one i got from tiny last year, build quality is shite on mine. Watch out for that integrated graphics if you want to play SI. Make sure its not an s3 card. Also need to check the laptop chip sets that are compatible with SI.

C

Cloak_

887864_01_large.jpg

COMPAQ
INTEL PENTIUM 4 2.8GHZ LAPTOP

Product Features
Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHZ Processor
512 mb RAM Memory
40 Gb Hard Disk Capacity
DVD/CD RW Drive
15" TFT Display
64MB Int ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics
3.4 kg Weight
3 x USB connections
Windows XP Home Edition
1 Year FREE Warranty

£1,299 inc VAT

:x

K

Kurik BHM

Originally posted by old.Xarr
HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO WORK A COMPUTER WITH JUST ONE GOD DAMN MOUSE BUTTON?!?

/apple rant

i believe they have introduced a mouse with 2 buttons now.. :p

A

Apathy

Really? I bet both buttons just do the same thing though.

WHICH IS HOW THINGS SHOULD BE.

a.

Users who are viewing this thread