Advice Laptop pointer gone?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Got a cheap laptop last year for my mates kids to do homework on, but today the cursor/pointer has disappeared, had a quick google and it says something about one of the F keys being pushed by mistake or maybe due to a win 10 upgrade?

Is there a shortcut fix for this?

Cheers

Syri

FH is my second home
If the touchpad has been disabled it doesn't usually remove the pointer, just stops the pad working. I guess it could vary though, depending on the laptop. The key to toggle it can vary, but it usually has a tiny picture of a touchpad on the key (usually one of the F* keys), and you generally have to press fn with that key to toggle the touchpad.
Failing that, have you got a mouse you can plug in? That should bring the pointer up, then you can check things like device manager, control panel and such, to see if the touchpad is shown in there.

Edmond

Yes I’m going there tomorrow with my mouse hoping it will default and bring up the pointer.

Thanks

Edmond

One of the kids has forgotten their password as admin and because of that I can’t change any settings?

Help!!

Syri

FH is my second home
What version of Windows is it running? Some versions you can download a bootable image (for cd or usb) that lets you reset the password, but I'm not sure if there is one for later versions of Windows. Depending on how much the system is locked down without that password, you may need to use a different computer to download the iso file and make the boot disc/usb drive.

Edmond

Got it sorted, had to keep trying the password which locked us out a few times, but got there in the end.

Plugged my mouse in and the pointer reappeared, didn’t have to really do anything as when I unplugged the mouse the touchpad came back to life as if it defaulted back?

Thanks for your help

SilverHood

FH is my second home
If it's an ASUS laptop, have to re-install some old drivers, Windows 10 update will wipe out drivers and leave it not working.

Edmond

If it's an ASUS laptop, have to re-install some old drivers, Windows 10 update will wipe out drivers and leave it not working.
It is a ASUS, but it seems to have sorted itself for the time being. Ta

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom