Help Laptop Format?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
So I bought a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 like @Deebs and @TdC but I can't help feeling it isn't running as it should, it really isn't. I have installed very little, well nothing really apart from the standard stuff like browsers and most of the other stuff is web based.

For the spec it should fly, which I suppose it does compared to some lesser poota's but it is no quicker than my ageing XPS 15z.

It would be sweet with a nice clean install, there is an awful lot of bloat on here and yes I could uninstall it but that is never absolute.

What I want to know is how do I find out the Windows serial for the installed OS? It is nowhere and it is fucking annoying, if I revert Windows back to factory or whatever it is you have to do nowadays will that keep the bloataids? I want to do it the old way (albeit having to use an external DVD drive which I do have).

Why the fuck don't they give you the cd key anymore :eek:

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Apparently the key is stored in the UEFI portion of the BIOS and is automatically read on install.

From Lenovo's forums:
Since Windows 8, OEM preinstalled operating systems store and encrypt the product key in the uEFI or BIOS firmware chip. The product key is no longer on the COA sticker to help prevent theft. Whenever you need to reset or reinstall the same operting system on your OEM PC, the product key will automatically be applied and activated

Trem

Apparently the key is stored in the UEFI portion of the BIOS and is automatically read on install.

From Lenovo's forums:
Sweet, so I just chuck in the disc I have anyway and it should just auto install and away I go? Cheers sexface.

Just in case I found a sweet bit of software that did find the cd key out, whether it's correct or not who knows but it is nice to have it there just in case.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Let us know how you get on :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Put Lenovo System Update on it to make sure it's got the right drivers.

Trem

(or qBittorrent remote)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom