Help Laptop casings(?)

russell

FH is my second home
Hi Freddies.
Please help...
Our daughter dropped our laptop down the stairs and the screen is all smashed, as is the dvd drive thingy.
....But it works if connected to a monitor all fine and dandy..but its a pain using it this way.
Mr Russell has found a casing on ebay and reckons we could buy it and then put out laptop insides in it- I have no idea??!!!
So- is this possible? Does it cost alot of money? Is he wasting his time getting the casing if he has to bid over £100 for it?
Sorry if I am not technical enough for you -any advice would be appreciated:)

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
My wife had her laptop knocked off the table, damaging the screen, DVD, casing and power socket. Using a service manual that I found online, I was able to:

• disassemble the laptop to get the motherboard out,
  • took the motherboard to a mobile phone shop to get a new power socket soldered (£40).
  • rebuilt the laptop without the screen
  • restored the laptop to factory default

After attaching an external monitor, it is now used as our download mill, file storage and media server. It beats almost any small form desktop hands down. :)

In your case, you're wanting to get a non-working laptop from eBay and swap in the working parts from your current laptop. What make/model of laptop is it? Maybe I can dig out a service manual PDF for it. £100 is the absolute maximum I would stretch to though. For £150 you can buy a new netbook and cheap laptops start at about £250.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I suspect generally wasting your time bothering, some laptops aren't that hard to take apart whereas others are nearly impossible and the other reality is you may of well done more damage than you first think thus I would advise you to backup any important data you have to a USB key.

Kryten

Old Cow.
What make/model is it? Will be only too happy to walk you/mr russell through the job if it's a Dell, they're quite easy anyway in most cases.

It's also worth hunting on ebay for "spares and repairs" versions of the same machine. Sometimes you can pick them up for the same price as just the casing, sometimes they include a working screen too.

Trouble is, laptops are heading fast towards a "consumable item" as a whole.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Whats the laptop worth ?

Does the caseing include screen ? If not whats replacement screen price ?

Alot of laptops i take it to quote for repair often exceed the value of replacing of them with similiar spec models. In your case, you'd not have to pay labour as you doing the work your self. But could the laptop in its current condition be sold on and the money used to add to the money for repair and buy another laptop of equal or better spec.

In short, does price of parts plus sale price of laptop now equal or greater then replacing the unit.

As said some can be a real pain to disassemble, but if you have the time they will come apart. So thats not really an issue. Just have a little patiences(sp?) and it will go fine.

russell

FH is my second home
Thanks guys thats really helpful. It is a Toshiba Satellite A100-01G model no-PSAARE-05P02JAV.
Would be good to know if it is an easy one to dismantle or if it could be a nightmare- and also if there is a PDF thingy on it..
Big kisses,
Russ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kryten

Old Cow.
Toshiba's are a right pain in the backside, the only one that's relatively easy are the really small Portege series.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
ive got a lappy dvd and cd drive in my junk drawer you can have for nowt if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom