laptop aer teh brok!!!11122" :(

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Hopefully some of the electronics bods out there can help with this one. My ancient laptop gave up the ghost yesterday. Flashing lights etc. So I opened it up and found the culprit....

burntchip.jpg

As far as I can tell it's exactly the same as the chip(?) next to it. I reckon it's worth having a go at soldering the thing myself since the laptop's dead already, I can only make it better right?

So does anyone know where I can get hold of one of those chips?

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Looks like it might be a small capacitor. Hard to say what the correct values would be since it's toast - it may not be the same as the adjacent one since none of the others are the same as each other.
There's also the issue that whatever caused it to go bang probably fried half the components on the board. I think it's probably toast. :(

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
From the burnt shell I've recovered it does appear to be the same as the one next to it. So the numbering and lettering on it are as follows...

R+
35 K

Assuming it can simply be replaced, does anyone know a good source of electronics kit where I might be able to pick up a replacement?

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
It appears to be a 22uF, 35V capacitor, probably tantulum (it's polarised - the R+ line indicates the +ve end).

The 22uF, 25V model here should work as a replacement

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Danya said:
It appears to be a 22uF, 35V capacitor, probably tantulum (it's polarised - the R+ line indicates the +ve end).

The 22uF, 25V model here should work as a replacement

*hugs Danya*

Just one question....if it's NOT the right component, will it totally fuck it even worse?

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
It's buggered already so how can it get worse? ;)

Wrong component depends on how wrong. I'm pretty sure it's a cap of the specified value so you should be fine.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Thanks so much, just one more question! :) Can I solder the capacitor either side of the burnt out one or do I HAVE to remove it first?

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
I'd remove the old one first, then solder the new one to the pads the old one was using.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Me2, although I should point out looking at that picture I wouldn't be surprised if there was more damage to surrounding areas.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Embattle said:
Me2, although I should point out looking at that picture I wouldn't be surprised if there was more damage to surrounding areas.

I had an online chat to a guy at digi-key.com who's given me a few suggestions on what the component could be. They're only a couple of quid so I'll order a few and see how it goes :)

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Can anyone tell me what the difference is when ordering capacitors.... "Cut Tape" or "Tape & Reel" ?

They're different prices but I've no idea if they're actually any different.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Stupid Edit time limit...

Anyway. I found exactly the right one's on ebay having seen the shocking prices people were trying to charge. The seller even had a picture of them so I know I'm getting the correct ones. I got a batch of 25 for 5.99 incl p+p. :) So I can screw it up loads of times over! :)

Bob007

Prince Among Men
What lappy is it ? May have a replacement board i can ship at pnp only. Got 500 lappys in the shop all no bat/ram/hdd. Might get it up and running if ya 25 chips fail :)

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Bob007 said:
What lappy is it ? May have a replacement board i can ship at pnp only. Got 500 lappys in the shop all no bat/ram/hdd. Might get it up and running if ya 25 chips fail :)

That would be ideal! My soldering skills...are...well... "what skills?" would sum them up fairly well.

It's a Dell Latitude C Family. Model No: PPX.

Although on the lid it says Latitude CPx.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
WPKenny said:
That would be ideal! My soldering skills...are...well... "what skills?" would sum them up fairly well.

It's a Dell Latitude C Family. Model No: PPX.

Although on the lid it says Latitude CPx.

hehe loads of dells. I'll pick 1 up today and drop ya PM later on this evening with info. Speak to ya later.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Bob007 said:
hehe loads of dells. I'll pick 1 up today and drop ya PM later on this evening with info. Speak to ya later.

WOO!! :worthy:

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Sry dude, been through about 80% of em and no CPx's, Plebty of CPi's CP's and CSx's. I'll check last few piles when i get in tomorrow, but am becoming doubtfull.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Thanks for the efforts. I've replied to your PM.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Well, the capacitors arrived this morning. With or without it in I get the same result. The laptop has a high pitched whistling noise and then it's like gas escaping. I guess the whole board's screwed.

Help me Obi-Bob007, you're my only hope! *cccrcch* Help me Obi-Bob007, you're my only hope! *cccrcch* Help me Obi-.......

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I'm officially Bob007's bitch now.

He's sent me the bits I needed, recorded delivery which arrived this morning.

A laptop shell and a spare mobo. The mobo didn't seem to want to work although it apparently showed more life than the one it replaced.

The next was the shell. I slapped all my peripherals in and fired it up. Nothing. :(

Then I remembered a tiny little thing that was missing....memory. heh.

I took it off the other board but only one of the two 128meg chips fit. No probs. I now have a working laptop which is more than up to the job of surfing and word processing.

So a BIG BIG BIG thankyou to Bob007 for his speed and generosity!! :worthy: :cheers: :sex:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom