Help Laptop Advice

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I'm thinking of getting a laptop, but never having owned or used one for more than a short period of time, I could do with a little advice.

My primary factor is cost: I wouldn't want to be spending anything more than 400 ideally.

Secondly, I plan on doing a lot of typing, so I need something fairly sturdy and solid, with a proper keyboard. Not one of those flat button types as they're almost useless. I had a quick peak today in a Currys (although I hurried out as I can't stand them) and there was a Dell one with a pretty decent keyboard, maybe a couple of the Acers looked like they were better build quality than the others?

Thirdly, while I'm not after a monster I would like something quite decent, as I don't see the point in getting a laptop that in 6 months will be defunct. Something along the lines of 4gb/250gb in terms of memory, as for graphics cards and processors I haven't bought one for going on 6/7 years, so any advice again here would be handy.

Also, if anyone has any particular recommendations that'd be useful too. Last time I asked for help like this I got some good responses regarding potential HDD - went out and bought the recommended one (eventually) and was pretty pleased.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
400 should get you something pretty solid. I tend to favour HP laptops for design, build quality and specs. I actually got a really nice one for about 350 ish that even had a modest ATI radeon, it copes with Left 4 Dead on medium to low settings so I was quite chuffed. Unfortunately all I can see on ebuyer for that price range is stuff with the Intel inbuilt graphics adapter which as I understand is pretty crap for anything other than 2d stuff.

How important is a 3d card in the laptop for you?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It's not vital, but it could be a deal clincher among similar products.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
If you're in no rush, I'd keep an eye out on the usual hardware retailers for HP laptops at around 350-400. Eventually one will pop up with the specs you need and a nice ATI or NVidia on board.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I got a HP/Compaq laptop for a firend for £400 recently, it's very solid and looks nice, performance is great too, although it's only 2gb ram as standard, an upgrade is only £30 or so.

www.laptopsdirect.com are very competitive with pricing, their customer service is a bit slow though.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Been getting a couple of HP Pavillion Pro's in at work as "higher end" laptops for headteachers. Biggest pro being having semi-full size keyboards - i.e. separate numpad.

Buggered on what teh model numbers are though, cost was just over £400. Decent otherwise spec, core2duos, 3gb ram, 250gb drives.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Thats exactly the model Ch3tan :) Yeah, I did find it very glossy and fingerprint prone but didn't really fuss me. Otherwise much laptop for not much money.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Shop around. I got them for £420 with a bit of bargaining.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
...Which is still out of my price range? FS :)

That Dell site is pretty useful, some good laptops there for very decent prices. The only problem is the filters don't seem to be working for me, the only one that seems to stick is the price one? It completely ignores my RAM/HDD filters :(

Yaka

Part of the furniture
there been time where the dell site is on spec, other times, 2gb is specced but i got one with 4gb, other time with nvidia gfx rather than intel and with bigger hdd as well. they arnt always refurbs either most of em are cancelled orders its worth keeping an eye on

Aada

Part of the furniture
If you have a Tesco Extra near you they are doing a compaq laptop with 4 gig ram/radeon graphics card (forgot which card) for less then £400.

Best thing i like about Tesco is that if you get home and have a play with the laptop and aren't happy with it they will refund you with no questions asked.

My GF bought her Dell Laptop from there which is very nice for £350.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Acer Aspire 5536 -643G25Mn Laptop LX.PAV0Y.006 - Laptops Direct

This series of Acer have the same large keyboard as the HP, lots of people discount Acer as if they go worng they can be a huge pain in the back side. But that being said the last 3 or 4 laptops i have got for family have all been acer including my One and they are all still going strong.

If the potential for problems is a big factor i would go with Lenovo they seem to do more on site than any of the other makers.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
If you have a Tesco Extra near you they are doing a compaq laptop with 4 gig ram/radeon graphics card (forgot which card) for less then £400.

Compaq are about the worst company ever, their stuff is utter shite. Been turned off for a while now.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
HP make the compaq stuff now, it's just a brand. The compaq lappy I got for a friend is solid and well built.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Anyone got any newer suggestions, or know of any good deals currently?

Had to put off laptop for a bit but now it's back on course.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Looks like I can get something like this from Dell outlet:

Inspiron 1545

* Inspiron 1545 Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 (2.1GHz,800MHz,2MB)
* English Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)

System Price : £361.22

Operating System
English Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)Memory
4GB (2x2GB Dual Rank DIMMs) 800MHzHard Disk Drive
320GB HD 5400Video
Graphics 512 MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330Certified Refurbished
Certified RefurbishedNoteBook Screen
Display 15.6in Widescreen WXGA with TrueLife WLEDSystem Color
LCD Back Cover Black Matte FinishMISC
Europe Dell Bluetooth 365 Card
Dell Wireless 1397 (802.11 b g)
Camera Integrated 1.3 Mega Pixel Camera
Battery 48WHR 6CellBase
Inspiron 1545 Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 (2.1GHz,800MHz,2MB)Media Bay
DVD+/- RW

or a similarly specced Inspiron 1555.

Any thoughts? Seems like about the best value to me from a quick scan around.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Went ahead and ordered a similarly specced model for a similar price, we shall see what it's like in the end!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom