Laptop advice

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Anyone got any recent experience of buying a good, small laptop? I've been agonising about taking a lappy when I go travelling, and I'd like to, but I don't want to lug a normal sized one around for a year (at 2.5-3KG I know it would drive me nuts after about a week), but all the really small ones I've seen, like the Vaio TX, are ludicrously expensive. Anyone know of a good, lightweight (less than 1.5Kg) laptop for less than a grand? It doesn't have to be really high spec; all it will be used for is word processing, managing photos and maybe the occasional DVD or DivX. I'm not even bothered if its a PC or a Mac (although most macs seem quite heavy). Any help would be appreciated.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I'm posting from a tosh portege m300. Nice lappy, all the bells and whistles, offboard graphics, very light, DVD burner, full size keyboard. The only drawback, the case scatches easily...probably due to the light weight construction/plastic.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
smurkin said:
I'm posting from a tosh portege m300. Nice lappy, all the bells and whistles, offboard graphics, very light, DVD burner, full size keyboard. The only drawback, the case scatches easily...probably due to the light weight construction/plastic.

That looks quite good thanks. There seem to be a few online deals about as well. I think I'll nip down to Tottenham Court Road and have a look at one. I don't mind the case getting scratched but I don't want something that'll fall to bits if I go backpacking with it.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I may be wrong about the offboard graphics. Its been a while since I bought it. It'll play black n white 1 ok, probably q2, maybe q3. I'd recommend a Gb of RAM with it. I tend to use it on the sofa, its gr8 for online reading. The pad si cumbersome, I got a ms usb cordless mouse that does the trick. I wouldn't recommend the docking system...very plasticy, pure fiddly.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It has been my experience that most PC laptops tend to be pretty shit build qualitywise. However, I guess most of my experience is going to sort out fucked pc's as that's my job so I would see that side of things.

TBH I'd try and suffer with the extra weight for the macbook. They're soo good.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I have a VAIO SZ1XP and it is the absolute dog's bollocks (when it's working :eek:). For me it strikes the perfect balance between portability and functionality (I looked at the TX's - I think it was the TX1 at the time - for a while but decided it was just too damn small for what I needed - home/office stuff).

If I wanted maximum portability though, it would be a TX or a UX.

The UX is just under a grand but not out over here yet. :\

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom