Lack of..... well anything!

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie
Is it just me or these past couple of months either via newsletters or annoucements we've been given nothing new at all?? the newsletters for me personally from the last 2-3 months have been very poor, and seem to have been later than normal? a possible indication they have been thrown together at the last minute or they dont want to show us anything knew and therfore are struggling to actually fill the newsletter out with some content?

I think its showing in the forums as the amount of new posts has literally ground to a halt?

Now I see this being caused by one of two things, either something (big) has gone wrong, therefore we have no release date and no new content being shown to us via the newsletters (I don't believe this is the case)

The second scenario is that this is simply nothing more than a marketing ploy, starving people of anything so that when something big is let out into the public domain it lands with a big receptions stirring up even more interest?

Now I may be totally wrong here but Freddy's House is not the only Warhammer/Game forum I frequent and there are a lot of people getting very annoyed with the lack of anything new.

I personally believe that Mythic/EA need to annouce a date and seriously letting out something about the game, be it crafting info etc etc.

I check this forum 2-3 times a day and during that time I'm lucky to see any new posts...... and very rarely do we see any new threads and I believe this to be simply due to the fact we have nothing to talk about.

One forum to mention specifically (and to some extent caused me to post this thread) is Overclockers.co.uk, they pretty much have a section for everything, now I pop in there this morning to see a post with Warhammer in the subject, I jump in to find a fella basically asking which to play WAR or AoC, there were about 15 replies and not one of them recommended WAR, no real reason apart from that people apparently had seen the game and said it looked dated etc etc and was basically WOW2 (this got me wound up and I put in a massive reply) now this is just one forum and I suspect this is happening elsewhere and it doesnt look good in the way that a lot of people who were interested in WAR have been tempted to AoC simply because they have more info to chew on and a release date.

Sorry to rant on but I couldn't really shorten this, what do the rest of you chaps think?

*Oh and I'm personally not moaning or complaining myself, just voicing my concerns!*

Mcflury

Fledgling Freddie
well, quite honoustly, their newsletters the last few months have been right on time :) No new info... well, depends on how you look at it. Sure, they haven't given us info on major changes (like the crafting system you mentioned), but they do give us new info. It's just smaller info (paths we can spec in, story lines to boost RP (cause quite honoustly, I'd love to play an MMORPG that actually has some RP in it for a change...), some art,...). Anyhew, we have been getting info, and if you already knew all the info they share in the newsletter it just proves you've been checking all possible sources before mythic has the chance to send newsletter, and thus know all up front.

You might also want to try to check the fora less often, it'll take away a lot of your frustration... and who knows, you might get a life ;) (no offence intended if you would consider this offensive)

and about that forum where people think AoC is better than WAR: well, both haven't come out yet, so for now saying one is better than the other is like saying some fruit from mars is better than the one from uranus; you didn't try them both yet so you really wouldn't know.
So let those fellahs believe AoC is better than WAR... we believe otherwise, and as is usually the case we also believe the others are wrong... which makes us happy campers again

Also: sure, those guys from AoC might hand out more info about beta and whatnot, but when they suddenly change things people will be very disappointed and will refuse to play the game just because of that. Since WAR doesn't say anything to us they aren't 150% sure off it'll be in the eventual game, such disappointments are saved from us, and thus they won't lose customers (since that's what we basically are) because of some silly misunderstanding.

All this text to say: they have their reasons to not tell all they can, and in due time we'll be enlightened the amount we so hungrily crave for :)
Patience, youngling, is a beautiful thing... ;)

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie
well, quite honoustly, their newsletters the last few months have been right on time :) No new info... well, depends on how you look at it. Sure, they haven't given us info on major changes (like the crafting system you mentioned), but they do give us new info. It's just smaller info (paths we can spec in, story lines to boost RP (cause quite honoustly, I'd love to play an MMORPG that actually has some RP in it for a change...), some art,...). Anyhew, we have been getting info, and if you already knew all the info they share in the newsletter it just proves you've been checking all possible sources before mythic has the chance to send newsletter, and thus know all up front.

You might also want to try to check the fora less often, it'll take away a lot of your frustration... and who knows, you might get a life ;) (no offence intended if you would consider this offensive)

and about that forum where people think AoC is better than WAR: well, both haven't come out yet, so for now saying one is better than the other is like saying some fruit from mars is better than the one from uranus; you didn't try them both yet so you really wouldn't know.
So let those fellahs believe AoC is better than WAR... we believe otherwise, and as is usually the case we also believe the others are wrong... which makes us happy campers again

Also: sure, those guys from AoC might hand out more info about beta and whatnot, but when they suddenly change things people will be very disappointed and will refuse to play the game just because of that. Since WAR doesn't say anything to us they aren't 150% sure off it'll be in the eventual game, such disappointments are saved from us, and thus they won't lose customers (since that's what we basically are) because of some silly misunderstanding.

All this text to say: they have their reasons to not tell all they can, and in due time we'll be enlightened the amount we so hungrily crave for :)
Patience, youngling, is a beautiful thing... ;)

Oh I've got plenty of other stuff to be getting on with believe me!!! I'm 24, have a busy job and own my own home.... enough said? I'm not the stereotypical 15yr old checking out this site from the school library.

The problem I have at the moment is that the gaming market seems to be in a bit of a dip at the moment and there are no games out there taking and holding my interest, I've played COD4 to death and have thus un-installed it..... I've recently gone back to Oblivion as I've got nothing to play hence me checking up on this game a lot and checking the forums often etc etc, I'm just really looking foward to something new that I know I will enjoy and hold my attention!

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
its not just the lack of information thats annoying people its the lack of any sort of release date yes theres no definite date for AoC afaik but the information for AoC is been put out there its all fine and well mythic/ea been tight lipped all its doing is pushing those torn between AoC and War further into the AoC camp and there are alot of ppl torn between the 2.

mythic need to be careful i understand where they are coming from what you don't know cant dissapoint etc and its a good philosophy thats done them well for the last few years however they have to realize that a portion of there possible subscription base is torn over AoC if they don't start winning them over they are going to lose that subscription base.

War needs to throw out a juicy tidbit or a release date to reignite the interest of those torn between the 2 because lets be honest the guild beta is a joke was supposed to go live early feb was it? and still no word on it ppl are just getting to the point where they are sick of waiting for something to give

shame alot of good games getting released 3/4th quarter of this year once these 2 mmos will likely be out giv spore now >.<
get TF2 never get bored of that chris :)

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie
This is exactly what I'm saying Chipper, just you've managed to sum it up in a lot less words!

WAR need to bite the bullet in my opinion and give us something, either by way of a release date or reveal the crafting system for example?

We need something more than a monthly newsletter filled out with new artwork and RP stuff!

If from that radio interview where Josh states he knows exactly when the game is coming out does he just not tell us? this only makes people think something is wrong and making people look into AoC!

As for TF2 I've heard very little about it, is it any good then?

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
How about

WAR: CANCELLED!

Dude, no news is good news. The beta is still going, so they are finding bugs and fixing them. The next thing to be announced will probobly be the forth Elf class (Which should be the White Lions).

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
ye TF2 is class its a fun MP that dont take its self too seriously its a fun game but competitive at the same time plus when u win a round your opponent cant shoot anymore so u can massacre the entire losing team for this reason alone TF2 owns :D

Nate

FH is my second home
Scaremongering, skepticism and general wonderingness. Be patient, the devs are most likely busy making the game rather then bringing out a few new bits of info..If they spent all there time relaying everything possible to the public the game wouldn't come out within 5 years!

Mcflury

Fledgling Freddie
I agree with Binky on the no news is good news... I mean, I'd rather have all of mythic's employees be busy with making the game (perfecting it as it were) than them constantly making giant newsletters, giving interviews, making enormous podcasts,... just to get the news on the streets.

Yes, I understand all too well it's sort of frustrating we don't get too much news (idd, when they said there was going to be siege in RvR I didn't need an extra article telling me siege consists out of rams, oil, catapults, ballistae and stuff; but it was nice to hear you could only build them on certain platforms (and can destroy them.. so basically when protecting a keep you can destroy the platform in front of your door so the enemy can't use a ram...) )
Anyways, enough of that ;)

So idd, not enough info to make us all happy, but the fact they aren't constantly handing out new info (and, for instance, the war-europe site doesn't get updates very oftenly) tells me they're actually busy with the game... which I consider a good thing.

And then, about new info: yes, next newsletter they might bring out the new class... now, let's say it would idd be the White Lions... how much of a 'news' would it be then? I mean, everybody's already saying it'll be the white lions, so when mythic tells us that's right, it isn't that much of a news to us, just a verification. So the news they bring imo doesn't always sound that new to us, just because we're constantly guessing what could be the next thing they'll tell us ;) (allthough I have absolutely no clue on the crafting system...)

Well, I guess this whole topic can be concluded as following: we're all anxious to play the game and want to know all about it. The only difference seems to be the time in which we want to learn all about it ;)

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
thats what they have a PR department for. and people arent asking for every bit of detail in the game just something new and interesting so the community has something to talk about

its not scaremongering or skepticism its a feeling being reflected by a growing number in the community hence the threads like these starting to pop up on numerous sites
personally as far as im concerned it comes out when it comes out theres always summat else to play in the mean time :)

just pointing out a small problem that will probably only get bigger has in most mmo's in development.

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie
Again I'm with Chipper here, they will have a big marketing and PR department, this is their job!!

Now if you remember in a few videos Paul and Josh have basically not been shy in the fact that they dont get on with marketing and lots of his podcasts and videos have been edited!

So the impression I get is that the devs and people involved in the game want to release it and show us all its goodness but marketing are blocking everything...... now why is that?

I'm in agreement that it should come out when its ready and like Chipper said were not after every tiny bit of detail and a daily update on the progress but just something for us to talk about every couple of weeks or something..... to keep us interested!

Realeasing info on crafting bits at a time, revealing more about weapons and armour etc etc. These are the things that this late into the development of this game we know abosolutely nothing about!

Chrismorris

Fledgling Freddie
Im also abit confused about why we havnt had any new info resently, Even a post on the warherald or the WAR EU site would be good, but for some reason a new post hasnt been on either for over 2 weeks. Its making me bored and im starting to sway towards AoC.

:m00:

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie
Im also abit confused about why we havnt had any new info resently, Even a post on the warherald or the WAR EU site would be good, but for some reason a new post hasnt been on either for over 2 weeks. Its making me bored and im starting to sway towards AoC.

:m00:

This is what I'm saying, people can only wait it out for so long before they start to look elsewhere!

Mcflury

Fledgling Freddie
myes, I understand completely... a little help: in the press news/release (one of the two) on warhammeronline.com they posted a link to a new interview/speech... so it might get you warm for WAR again :)

Just a small remark: what more do you want to know about weapons/armor? I mean, how they look? I couldn't care less to know such a thing up front... I want to discover the looks of my armor the first time INGAME. You know, some thing drops loot, you put it on and you think 'oh... spiffing!' :) Same about weapons... I mean, we already know alot about them. We know there is no slash/crush/thrust difference as there was in daoc (so a hammer or axe basically does the same kind of damage and thus can be resisted by the same skill), we have a rough idea what kind of weapons there will be (hammer, axe, sword (2h or 1h), staffs, spear, bow, rifle, grenade, pistols, orc snot, ...). I honoustly do not see what more you possible want to know about weapons and armor :s

SonicBorg

Regular Freddie
I know what you mean by being frustrated by the lack of info. but to be fair, possibly their mistake was releasing what info they have, too early!

maybe the game just isnt anywhere near completed enough yet, they didnt long ago decide some major aspects about keeps and seiges, they havent actually built in every char type in the game yet and so they are not beta tested yet (black guard for example), which means they gotta do alot of work making sure its balanced right in the game and against the other char types.

Announcing the game is coming is fine, but i think maybe they gave the people the impression they were further ahead in development then they really are. the initial thought was Q2 2008 for release (so take that as the last day of june) but they have always stated that the game will be released when its ready. So this means that Q2 is not a set date. it could end up being Q4 2009.

Checking the forums (and there ALOT of forums, FH being a dead one really) more than 2+ times a day is possibly focusing too much on WAR when its not even ready yet. Personally i have broken out Starcraft set again, specially now that SC2 is well on its way.
I went for 2-3 weeks without bothering following WAR untill around a week ago, and it was really relaxing not focusing on it. maybe get a guild if u havent already, and just have fun and banta on their forum for now. Having your own house and job isnt any different to the rest of the world, we all got plenty on our plates to, but try not to get so frustrated at lack of posts on forums. its like someone getting frustrated at a bit of tumble weed that isnt moving in the wind.

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie
myes, I understand completely... a little help: in the press news/release (one of the two) on warhammeronline.com they posted a link to a new interview/speech... so it might get you warm for WAR again :)

Just a small remark: what more do you want to know about weapons/armor? I mean, how they look? I couldn't care less to know such a thing up front... I want to discover the looks of my armor the first time INGAME. You know, some thing drops loot, you put it on and you think 'oh... spiffing!' :) Same about weapons... I mean, we already know alot about them. We know there is no slash/crush/thrust difference as there was in daoc (so a hammer or axe basically does the same kind of damage and thus can be resisted by the same skill), we have a rough idea what kind of weapons there will be (hammer, axe, sword (2h or 1h), staffs, spear, bow, rifle, grenade, pistols, orc snot, ...). I honoustly do not see what more you possible want to know about weapons and armor :s

Well for a start your saying what more would I like to know?? I dont know anything about items!!! yes its safe to assume what weapon types there will be but I'm interested on how regular items fit into crafting etc etc

I'm sure I heard or read something that looted items are broken when dropped and need repairing by a crafter etc etc and this whole race and class specific thing is pretty immense, that means there has to be a massive amount of items, not like for example in WOW where any race or class could buy and use the same weapon!?

If this is the case how does looting work? its not like in WOW where a boss drops an item thats say a piece of armour thats either cloth, leather or plate..... so say a piece of cloth drops, the only people who will roll are the mages, warlocks and priests..... WAR is going to have to break it down even more making it difficult to get items for your class and race? in that case will bosses drop tokens or some other item you can trade in? or can your witch hunter pistol drop be converted with few items into a rifle for an engineer........ this is the kind of stuff I'm interested in finding out.

However my question was just generalised and I happened to mention items but your post asking what more I'd like to know started me off!!! :)

Mcflury

Fledgling Freddie
okay, I'll answer with what I know ;)

your first alinea is basically asking again how the crafting system works. Nobody knows that yet (well, some do but they can't tell anyways) so me neither.

about the monster drops: I don't know if the being broken at drop part is true but I sure as hell haven't read it anywhere :)
As for WHAT they drop: only stuff you can use. So the way I understand it is this: you go and kill a boss with your group, as a result the people who helped most (if not all) will get an item delivered straight into their backpack which they can use (so an engineer would get an item an engineer can use, never something else; a witch hunter would get only items witch hunters can use, never something else) (of course there are also items useable by more than one class, but that doesn't really matter... the item you get, you'll be able to use)

So no tokens or stuff that needs to be traded for goods (well, you might get some cash too, but that's another thing :) ). So about the cloth thing: most likely everyone will be able to wear cloth, so basically anyone could get it. Most likely though they'll make it decent and a tank class will get plate armor whereas a melee dps will get leather/chain. How exactly the system works I don't know, but they've promised you'll always get stuff you can use (which is a good thing).

Also on the crafting: they promised we will never have to farm certain critters to get resources to craft (iirc) and it also shouldn't take too long to lvl in your crafting skills (read that somewhere I believe).

I hope this was some new info ;)

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie
okay, I'll answer with what I know ;)

your first alinea is basically asking again how the crafting system works. Nobody knows that yet (well, some do but they can't tell anyways) so me neither.

about the monster drops: I don't know if the being broken at drop part is true but I sure as hell haven't read it anywhere :)
As for WHAT they drop: only stuff you can use. So the way I understand it is this: you go and kill a boss with your group, as a result the people who helped most (if not all) will get an item delivered straight into their backpack which they can use (so an engineer would get an item an engineer can use, never something else; a witch hunter would get only items witch hunters can use, never something else) (of course there are also items useable by more than one class, but that doesn't really matter... the item you get, you'll be able to use)

So no tokens or stuff that needs to be traded for goods (well, you might get some cash too, but that's another thing :) ). So about the cloth thing: most likely everyone will be able to wear cloth, so basically anyone could get it. Most likely though they'll make it decent and a tank class will get plate armor whereas a melee dps will get leather/chain. How exactly the system works I don't know, but they've promised you'll always get stuff you can use (which is a good thing).

Also on the crafting: they promised we will never have to farm certain critters to get resources to craft (iirc) and it also shouldn't take too long to lvl in your crafting skills (read that somewhere I believe).

I hope this was some new info ;)

If they put another typical WOW crafting system in I wouldnt be happy, although I'm pretty sure its not going to be........ from the tiny tid bit we do know about these wheels or dials.... it looks like its going to be decent! really looking foward to see what they have to offer!

Mcflury

Fledgling Freddie
well, the way mythic talks about their crafting system it's completely new, so not like the WoW-crafting system either. At least I hope so, since I'd rather love farming creatures a whole day instead of wandering around doing nothing but picking godforsaken flowers :s

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
I just hope they don't have stupid equipment drops.

"You have killed a rat. It had a ring +1 int" First time that happened, I felt guilty.. the rat was married, and I deprived a family of its mummy/daddy. Course, when you slay an orc and you get some used underwear, you'd also want to make sure a tanner was nearby to trade with (they'll have anything).

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
I just hope they don't have stupid equipment drops.

"You have killed a rat. It had a ring +1 int" First time that happened, I felt guilty.. the rat was married, and I deprived a family of its mummy/daddy. Course, when you slay an orc and you get some used underwear, you'd also want to make sure a tanner was nearby to trade with (they'll have anything).

lol no body ever thinks of the poor slain orcs family waiting at home with tea on the table whos the real bad guys here huh HUH! you murdering thoughtless bastards!!! :p

Mcflury

Fledgling Freddie
orcs drinking tea? More like dwarf blood :s

Besides, in the order's defence: they started it!!!! :p

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
Yeaaah, you do realise the huge gaping hole in the argument there.
No-ones ever SEEN a female orc. And if they have them in the WAR game, then there's a realy huge problem that needs fixing.

And anyway, orcs tend to bring there kids along (snotlings), and there teenagers (goblins), and the adults (orcs)... middle aged orcs are Black orcs though. but no women... that would explain the large 'choppa' fixations.

Mcflury

Fledgling Freddie
Yeaaah, you do realise the huge gaping hole in the argument there.
No-ones ever SEEN a female orc. And if they have them in the WAR game, then there's a realy huge problem that needs fixing.

And anyway, orcs tend to bring there kids along (snotlings), and there teenagers (goblins), and the adults (orcs)... middle aged orcs are Black orcs though. but no women... that would explain the large 'choppa' fixations.

'though I'm not an expert I don't think goblins are simply orc teenagers :s

And the lack of women is because they actually reproduce asexually, since they're fungae out of space (or something like that).

Anyhew, not matter where they come from: they need to be killed, mainly because of bad breath and no decent intelligence whatsoever! (allthough goblins are pretty smart from time to time... but then there's still the bad breath...)

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
'though I'm not an expert I don't think goblins are simply orc teenagers :s

Its the running theory... theres a whole section on the subject in the old roleplay books about it. Capture a snolting and take care of it in a zoo, to see if it grows into goblis, orcs and black orcs.

Mcflury

Fledgling Freddie
hmm, shouldn't the archmages or bright wizards of this world have experimented on this? I mean, if we ever want to kill all of those green bastards we'll have to at least know where they come from...

Now, my reason why goblins aren't just teenager orcs: snotling is pretty strong for his age and rather dumb (like most orcs), goblin is weaker but smart, then black orc is not too stupid and very strong, orc is just strong and completely retarded.
So if goblins were orc teenagers that would mean an orc grows more intelligent in his puberty, which happens to be the time when most other beings actually start acting more like retards... As I'm typing this, it could actually make sense... hmmm...

Anyways, nowhere in the lore any freaky wizard or intelligent being did some research on this subject? Man, that's a giant hole in our science :s

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom