Help KVM switches

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hey gang - I got a KVM switch not long ago and have now got some issues which I think (but can't be sure) are linked to it:

1. The HDMI links broke... it _could_ be the HDMI cable so I should do diagnostics, I get that
2. Now I am physically swapping HDMI leads from PC > monitor then to laptop > monitor I keep getting, apparently random, disconnects of all the USB devices which are mouse, keyboard and wireless headset

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Any thoughts please? It's logitech KB and mouse plus Corsait headset, both machines are win10. Thanks if you can help!!

Edit:

I went looking for alternatives and they do seem to be generic:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=kvm+switch&i=computers&crid=2CMJUSRI1AF4X&sprefix=kvm%2Ccomputers%2C172&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-do-p_1_3

I have this:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083TC68VQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ta.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Sounds like a dodgy KVM tbh - I'm also looking to get two DP KVMs for me and the wife, so good to know this brand has issues.

Edit: You need to make sure that either the KVM or the USB devices don't "eat" too much power, as HDMI is not really intended to feed power to other devices.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sounds like a dodgy KVM tbh - I'm also looking to get two DP KVMs for me and the wife, so good to know this brand has issues.

Edit: You need to make sure that either the KVM or the USB devices don't "eat" too much power, as HDMI is not really intended to feed power to other devices.

Ahhhh!!! The video failed a few days ago so I have bypassed the switch for HDMI - it's probably the lack of power now causing the failures! Thanks @old.Osy !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom