Question Kindle worth getting?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I could also see a system working like that for other book resellers - you buy a real book from them, they pay a commission to amazon, who then provide you with a digital copy.

I've noticed most new release BD's come with the dvd and digital copy in the same package now. You are right that books need to follow suit.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
They *really* need to do a system where buying the book you get a free electronic version. It just makes all kinds of sense.

It will happen, just a matter of time.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
They *really* need to do a system where buying the book you get a free electronic version. It just makes all kinds of sense.

Some publishers in the states are playing around with that idea; I think Baen books have done it on a few titles.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Sent, but book publishers are in the same place the music and film publishers were in the twentieth century. I hope they 'get with the times', but they are dinosaurs!

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I got a kindle last month and it's a great piece of kit but the selection of books available is poor. Publisher's need to get their fingers out; I'd be happy to pay around paperback prices for an ebook but there's no way I'm paying as much as or more than hardback prices (which are worryingly common).

Doesnt seem to be any sense to what's available either, I've seen trilogies where book 2 is on kindle but 1 & 3 aren't.

Publishers are just shooting themselves in the foot - you'd think they'd have learned something from the Music, film and game industries. I'm perfectly willing to pay for ebooks but currently my kindle has about 50 books on it of which 4 are legit purchases; the rest I've 'acquired' elsewhere because they're either not available or too expensive

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Got what looks like a stock reply back, guess lots of people are asking for it and the publishers won't move.

DaGaffer

Good timing, there's a big article about e-book pricing on El Reg today. Biggest problems are agency agreements (although that isn't the simple big bad publisher argument that Amazon are claiming) and don't forget, you pay VAT on e-books, so that's a 20-odd percent difference right there.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I suspect the agency agreements will be found to be unlawful, just like the old price fixing agreement was. Do cartels never learn?

The article doesn't mention any bundling of physcial and electronic formats, which is a bit annoying.

Mentions an interesting thing in there, ebooks can be VATable at 5% if the government chooses.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
I've asked for a Kindle for Christmas.

Where I live now I don't have the room for my book collection so I had to loan them all to my sister :(

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Good timing, there's a big article about e-book pricing on El Reg today. Biggest problems are agency agreements (although that isn't the simple big bad publisher argument that Amazon are claiming) and don't forget, you pay VAT on e-books, so that's a 20-odd percent difference right there.

Yeah amazons excuse was poor. The two books I gave as examples in my email to them both had their price set by amazon, not the publisher.

I've had the device a day now, and so far I've bought 3 books - it would have been more, but the other 10 I've got were either not available or ridiculously expensive.

DaGaffer

I thought the most interesting part of the article was "don't get an ebook, get a smartphone"; this is exactly why I'm thinking of getting a Galaxy Tab; I can have Kindle and ePub formats that way.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It's very hassle free to convert though gaffer, and the biggest thing kindle still has going for it is the eInk screen. Reading on a smartphone, pc or tablet is just not as easy on your eyes.

Also did you see the Archos 101 Android tab? Only £280, and similar specs to the galaxy tab, and better reviewed.

DaGaffer

It's very hassle free to convert though gaffer, and the biggest thing kindle still has going for it is the eInk screen. Reading on a smartphone, pc or tablet is just not as easy on your eyes.

Also did you see the Archos 101 Android tab? Only £280, and similar specs to the galaxy tab, and better reviewed.

The 101 is too big for my needs (tbh if I wanted a 10" tablet I'd buy an iPad for the apps alone), so its the Archos 70 I'd need and that doesn't get the reviews of the Tab (and I can get a staff discount on the Tab). I know eInk is a better on the eyes but for my specific needs (90% of its use will be on the train to and from work, 30-45 mins tops, and reading, music and video in one device is an attractive prospect) the screen won't be an issue. If it turns out I end up a heavy ebook reader I can always get a Kindle later, but with a baby in the house I rarely get the chance to read for extended periods anyway.

taB

Part of the furniture
Well, I ordered one of these on the 2nd for a Christmas Pressy. It still hasn't shipped. The worst part is the order has been "We are preparing these items for dispatch and this portion of your order cannot be cancelled or changed." for over a week now so I can't even cancel it and get something else.

Bit miffed as I wanted to load it up with old books for the parents pre-Christmas and am running out of time.

DaGaffer

Getting a Galaxy Tab for crimbo. That way I can run any reader I like.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Well, I ordered one of these on the 2nd for a Christmas Pressy. It still hasn't shipped. The worst part is the order has been "We are preparing these items for dispatch and this portion of your order cannot be cancelled or changed." for over a week now so I can't even cancel it and get something else.

Bit miffed as I wanted to load it up with old books for the parents pre-Christmas and am running out of time.

Yeah they are snowed under with orders, it is going to be a huge Christmas for kindle. Sorry to hear you are having to wait but it will be worth it.

taB

Part of the furniture
Yeah they are snowed under with orders, it is going to be a huge Christmas for kindle. Sorry to hear you are having to wait but it will be worth it.

Aaah, nothing like a justifiable moan. On its way now :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Also, it will take you all of 10 minutes to load it with books :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Used mine for 4 hours travel today, been a life saver.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
I've downloaded a fair few books from the Project Gutenberg that aren't anything to do with amazon's store in anticipation of making purchase of a Kindle later in the month. Is this whispernet/whispersync service that Amazon provide able to interfere with books not purchased from them directly?

Can I disable this connectivity if I don't want it?

Bought a shiny new cover for it, didn't want one of the usual leather ones and this seemed rather good: Eco-Nique Natural Hemp Brown Case Cover for 6-inch Amazon Kindle 3/Global Wireless - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Sure I might be a bit forward in buying accessories for an electronic device i don't have yet, but it's like coitus with a horny 800 pound bull; whether you like it or not, it's going to happen sooner or later ;)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Nope, I've downloaded tonnes of free books from copyright expired libraries and I email them direct to my device all the time :D.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Good to know, thanks. Suppose the 1984 incident
Got me wondering.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH

If you phone up they will normally cancel it.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Don't these come already configured in the UK? I ordered one for my partner and it came unregistered and with nothing on it. It was a real pain to set up too - had to go to the amazon uk site.

When I ordered mine from the states it came from phoenix in 4 days fully configured with everything I ordered already on it including 117 PDF's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom